PDA

View Full Version : Magnesium/calcium & St Johns Wort

sedalia
30-09-09, 20:13
I hae heard that magnesium & calcium supplements can help with anxiety/panic. I am currently taking st johns wort and wondered if it is ok to take magnesium and calcium supplements with SJW?

patmac
30-09-09, 20:56
hiya,
are the sjw not helping when you are wanting to take some other things?
they are all natural remedies so shouldnt be a problem but i would go to the chemist just to make sure, they have staff to help you with questions like these. x

sedalia
01-10-09, 08:51
Hello

I've only just started taken SJW so know that it'll take a while yet to have any effect, but thought I would take the other supplements too if they help. I read your other post and it's encouraging that SJW has helped you, is there any time limit on how long you can take it for....do you need to have a break from it every so often do you know?

patmac
01-10-09, 10:37
no, no time limit, they are herbal. i wouldnt take a break from them because then you may go back to square 1! it takes about 3/4 weeks for the tablets to start working.
keep in touch & let me know how you get on . x

NoPoet
02-10-09, 21:12
It's very unlikely SJW would interact with those supplements.

I would recommend inositol powder over SJW any day.

patmac
02-10-09, 21:26
whats inositol powder?

Danath
02-10-09, 23:56
its amazing how little known it is, I had to explain to two doctors what it was but they confirmed it was ok to take(after they had looked it up) since its a food supplement and not really a drug. I've just started taking it and have noticed an improvement in sleep thus far. you can find it at holland and barret

psychopoet is the man to ask, he loves inositol ;)

Dan

NoPoet
04-10-09, 20:54
Yes, some people love St John's Wort, but then again some people love Japanese World War 2 tanks and there is no way I would take one of those into battle, so... yeah. Inositol in my humble opinion is superior to St John's Wort in every way. St John's Wort is a Japanese WW2 tank.

keleb0709
06-10-09, 11:50
They are fine to take together. Make sure your mag supp has a variety of sources in it such as orotate, chelate, aspartate etc as you will better absorb these. Not sure what the calcium does, i think the mag alone should be sufficient. Perhaps just take it with a glass of milk if you dont specifically require calcium? Aim for approx 300mg of elemental mag per day and divide the doses so you take some in the morning and at night. Fish oil is also a major treatment for mood so try adding this in too. You aren't on the pill are you??

annabanana
19-10-09, 21:16
Do you know where I can find some more information about Ionositol?