PDA

View Full Version : Hello, im new!

natalie
22-01-04, 22:11
Hi there!

My name is natalie and im 18 yrs old.
Ive been suffering from OCD for about 2 1/2 years now. when the symptoms first started and i began to have constant anxiety and about 4 panic attacks a day, i was prescribed anti-depressants, which i took for about 7 months. the panic's stopped as did the thoughts, but i became numb. i was never my usual bubbly self.

when i came off the tables, i felt alot better. i was really proud of myself. but just before christmas 2003, the panic's came back. they have gradually been getting worse and worse over the new year, and i was prescribed beta-blockers about 2 weeks ago. the anxiety is much better, but the obssessive thoughts are still there.

i also associated OCD with washing your hands lots, and cleaning all the time etc. but ive come to realise that its not necessarily the case. i panic about whether i should really be with my boyfriend of 3 yrs, even though he is the most amazing person i have ever met. he's everything ive ever wanted and more, so why should i worry about it? ive also questioned my sexuality, and i have to test my thoughts constantly. it is so frustrating.

im much more clued up on anxiety, panic attacks and OCD now, and i realise that what im going through is curable. i no its going to be difficult and everyday is a struggle. but coming onto this website has made me realise im not alone and that this will go away.

i really want to get better [8)]

thanx for reading, any suggestions most appreciated

natty xxx

benoo5
22-01-04, 22:27
hi natty,

welcome to our site...its very friendly,and will allow you,to get all your thoughts,and feelings out in the open,people here will listen,but will never criticise you.

it does seem,that you have to learn to change your negative thought patterns...this is where CBT comes in..but ime not sure if youve gone through this thereapy,so let us know.

read as much as you can,on the home page..theres lots of good advice...keep posting on here,and ask as many questions as you wish...best wishes..bryan.

Meg
22-01-04, 23:16
Hi Natty,

Generally people are only diagnosed with OCD if there are rituals and specific reocurring thought patterns over a sustained period of time.

What help apart from meds have you been getting ?

Glad you like the site . Hunt hard. There is lots around. Use the search facility

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Laurie28
23-01-04, 12:22
Hiya Natty,

Everyone gets intrusive thoughts it's how we deal with tghem that the problem. I must admit I'm not to keen on labels (ie OCD etc) if you put a search in for THOUGHTS at the top of this page there are a few posts regarding them.

Your right about thsi forum it is such a relief to find other people who have struggled and are struggling with anxiety problems! It has helped me a great deal and the advice and support is incredible

Take Care
Lucky

red
23-01-04, 12:33
Hiya Natty
I'll just echo what everyone else has said here - you couldn't have come to a better place! Welcome and good luck finding what you need to help you in this sometimes very confusing state.
Take care

Red
xxx

natalie
23-01-04, 12:38
hi guys,

thankyou so much for replying, i really appreciate it.

the first time around i saw a counsellor on a weekly basis, and a pychiatrist once a month. i stopped seeing them when i felt better, so as it is quite recent since it started again, ive only been on medication. im going to see a counsellor on wednesday whos meant to be amazing, which is great.

but i would definately say that CBT sounds like the right thing for me. as soon as i wake up in the morning, im anxious, then the thoughts start coming and i get more and more scared, because i dont know whether to believe the thoughts or not. they are with me all day unless i can distract myself. going to sleep is very difficult coz im always thinking. its so exhausting.

after reading the info on OCD on this website, i believe that i have the condition as i can relate to everything that is said. now that ive found out what it is, i really want to start getting over it.

natty xxx

Meg
23-01-04, 16:17
Hi Natty,

When you're acute with anxiety - distraction is the way out of it- find something that needs concentration to do. Once you're slightly more in control then you need to identify the thoughts that are fueling the distress and think them through in terms of rationality - change the untrue ones to something more realistic.
Positivity is a great power too but sometimes its not as simple as changing negative thoughts to positive ones , they have to be believable as well and thats where the rational thoughts need to be placed .

Good luck with your counsellor.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

stimpy
23-01-04, 23:26
Very nice to meet you.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric