PDA

View Full Version : Audio Dyslexia!

JohnLuke300
01-10-09, 20:55
One of the most extreme symptoms I have had when in panic I can only describe as audio dyslexia. I have spoken to people and been unable to understand what they are saying to me. I understand the words but I am unable to place them into an understandable sentence in my mind. It's as if the words are all scrambled or out of order. I have found this extremely embarrassing as I become reluctant to respond and when they press me I try to answer the question I think they asked. But usually I appear to be answering a completely different question and just receive odd looks. I haven't noticed somebody else having this problem so I just wanted to know if it is only me.

All best the :D

John

Veronica H
02-10-09, 08:45
I like 'audio dyslexia'...i have had this but looking back it has occurred at the point where I am making the 'fight or flight' decision during a panic attack, and therefore try to answer people so they donot notice this internal struggle. I am unable to concentrate on what they are saying though for obvious reasons.:)

Veronica

JohnLuke300
02-10-09, 10:09
Hi Veronica,

Yes I agree that it occurs when the 'flight or fight' response is triggered and I believe it's a by product of how panic effects the brains analytical functions. I also agree we tend to 'internalize' during these situations but on a couple of occasions I am not so sure I did. Although I accept I am not always aware that I am 'internalizing' so it's possible that I was. But thanks for replying as at least now I know it is not only me. :D

P.S. It usually happens when women that I find attractive approach me, so I just wish my brain would give me more options than 'Flight or Fight'. :doh:

All the best

John

AntiLove_SuperStar
02-10-09, 20:17
Audio dyslexia would mean "audio reading problems"..you know that sort of makes sense in a way. Even the pedant in me likes the term.

I don't know if this is what you mean exactly, but I have noticed sometimes I hear yet do not hear what somebody is saying. Or I get the words, but the meaning somehow isn't there in my brain. That's the nearest experience I can give you. Its odd, I know.

When I used to be depersonalized a lot I would sometimes repeat a word frequently in my head, like "leaf leaf leaf" so it went from a meaningful word to a sound. Strange.

JohnLuke300
02-10-09, 22:54
Hi Emmie,

Yes it kind of is like an 'audio reading problem', I recognized the words being spoken but when I try to piece them in my head it was as if they were out of order and made little sense. I'm quite sure I heard them in the correct order but my mind seemed to get them all mixed up. I guess it is just a side effect of panic.

Take care,

John