PDA

View Full Version : New forum features - available from Monday 5th October when we move to the new server

nomorepanic
20-09-09, 16:41
Here are some of the new features in the new forum coming on 5th October 2009.

1) A new look UserCP with icons that looks like this...

http://i26.tinypic.com/2wgskuu.gif

2) A Quick Reply editor to respond to PM's (private messages) - a bit like the quick reply to posts. Once you open the PM you will see a box at the bottom where you can type your reply and then submit.

3) Private Messages Enhanced Listing - the first 200 characters of the PM are shown underneath it so you may not need to open it up to read it.

4) Personal Notepad in your UserCP - add notes about posts you want to remember, members you talk to etc.

5) Forum-wide Search For Unanswered Threads - allows you to find threads that have no replies so you can reply if you would like to. Makes members feel more welcome if they at least receive one reply to their post.

This is accessed by clicking on "Search" on the forum navigation bar and selecting the option "Unanswered threads"

6) View your own Posts/Threads from Navigation bar "Search". A much easier way to find your own posts.

7) Separate Sticky and Normal Threads - shows sticky threads more prominently in forums.

8) The memberlist is now sorted by "last visited" rather than alphabetically.

9) My Popular Threads - view your most popular threads by reply count. These are shown on your UserCP.

10) Added "Search titles only" check box to search popup menu. Previously you had to use advanced search for this option. Now you can do it from clicking on "Search".

11) Separate admins and members in the who's online list. Now you can see easily if any admins are online:

12) You can now use the smilies if you use the "Quick reply" way of replying to posts. Previously you could only use smilies if you used the advanced reply method:

nomorepanic
01-10-09, 22:45
I will document any new features as we add them.

Fran74
01-10-09, 23:10
Great Website Nicola .. So glad I have found it
:yesyes:
Francesca

SueBee
01-10-09, 23:20
Looks really good !

I particularly like the unanswered threads feature as I'm sure many get missed.

Good luck with the update but I hope its not offline for too long!!

Sue
xxx

nomorepanic
01-10-09, 23:30
Thanks Fran

Sue - we are moving to a new server so we are moving the DNS entries (sorry if too technical) but in laymans terms we have to propagate the new server address to the whole world and this can take up to a day - some people will be able to connect within an hour and typically in 4 hours. We will hopefully be fully up and running for everyone by Tuesday.

Alex will post more over the weekend to explain it all.

We are having to move servers (a server is basically a computer) as we currently use servers at Alex's company and we need to move to some new hosted servers. This is going to cost us money but we have no choice really.

I hope that kind of makes sense!

nomorepanic
06-10-09, 14:12
Bumping up to make active now that we have moved servers.

nomorepanic
06-10-09, 17:08
13) PM (private message) autoresponder / "out of office"

This will allow you to send a reply to anyone that PM's you say, for example, if you are on holiday so won't be able to reply to your PM's straight away.

You need to go to your User Control Panel. So click on "Quick Links" on the menu bar at the top then select "User Control Panel".

Once in the control panel select "Autoresponder" underneath Private Messages:

You will then need to complete the details of which dates you are away and enable the autoresponder:

Change the text and subject as necessary and save. Anyone that PM's you now will get this PM back as an instant reply.

Don't forget to turn it off when you are free to receive PM's again :whistles:

SueBee
06-10-09, 19:47
I don't have the User CP as yet. It appeared briefly this morning then disappeared. Is it something thats still updating?

Looks fab otherwise!!

nomorepanic
06-10-09, 20:37
Sue - what happens when you click on the option?

SueBee
06-10-09, 21:13
When it appeared earlier it was on the left hand side, which is where I assume it shoud be. The only thing there now is a list of articles such as health worries, phobias etc. Other than that, the rest of the page is blank.

nomorepanic
06-10-09, 21:15
that is supposed to be there - did you click on Quick Links then User Control Panel?

SueBee
06-10-09, 21:26
Doh me :doh:

Got it now. thanks for your help :D

nomorepanic
06-10-09, 21:32
ok no worries Sue - glad you are sorted now. It takes a bit of getting used to lol

nomorepanic
09-10-09, 18:54
Another useful feature is the "check if already posted" option when starting a new thread.

You can see if somone has previously submitted a thread similar to one you are about to post.

When you click on New thread enter the text and then click on the "Check if already posted" pull down box and select the relevant options.

This is how it looks:

nomorepanic
12-10-09, 22:28
Canned replies - I have enabled this now in your UserCP and will explain it all tomorrow if you can't work it out.

diane07
12-10-09, 22:41
For the new " Canned Replies" if you get really stuck when they have been explained just pm me and i'll help you out with them.

di xx

nomorepanic
13-10-09, 19:55
Ok canned replies...

Basically in your UserCP you can create replies that can be used when replying to any post. So, for example, if you say the same thing over and over you can create this as a canned reply so you can use it whenever you want without having to keep typing it all out.

Can also be used for a standard reply to Welcome messages as well. You can create anything you like so you can always reply with the same message and not have to keep repeating yourself lol.

It can also be used in PM's.

To create a new "canned reply" go to your user control panel:

Now give the canned reply a title and enter the text:

Now you can use it to start a new thread or reply to an existing one by simply selecting it from the canned reply box:

When you go to reply to a thread you simply click on the drop down box and select the reply you want to insert.

ElizabethJane
16-10-09, 21:38
sorry have NOT altered my settings. Will try another forum to see if I can post on there.

nomorepanic
16-10-09, 21:51
Ok EJ - PM me with the problems

trackman
09-02-10, 22:52
can anybody help me in creating my forum asking for advice and opinions please

nomorepanic
09-02-10, 22:54
Hi there

Everything you need to know is here:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=60

Hope that helps