PDA

View Full Version : Agorophobia

Aqua
31-10-05, 00:31
Hey there...I'm not sure if I've posted this in the right place but here goes. :D

I've got Agorophobia. I haven't been formally diagnosed. In fact I haven't even told my GP about it and those who know about it don't believe me. (aunt & cousins). My mum and nan know I have agorophobia and keep telling me to get help for it as I'm letting it ruin my life.

Their right. Im too afraid to leave the house now and on the rare occassions I do I need someone with me and feel like I'm having a panic attack. I dont know what a panic attack feels like so Im just guessing here but it feels pretty scary and constricting. This really is controlling my life. I cant go out, answer the front door or even pop my head out the door without feeling pressure in my chest and worrying.

Its horrible. I do driving lessons once a week for 2 hours and this is really hard to do. I'm fine in the car but when I'm driving past crowds of people or shops that I expect to be busy or its after 3pm, I panic. I thought I was hiding it well until my driving instructor asked my nan is something wrong with me. So much for hiding it well, eh? Lol.

I will do everything I can to avoid going out. I used to be always outside having fun with friends and been a regular, wild teenager. Now Im like a frightened OAP. I dont know what brought this on. I wish I did. Maybe then I could face the cause and get over it. Ive been trying to fight it and thought I was winning until I felt myself being scared to open the door again. Im fine at my GPs surgeyu but walking home is pretty intimidating. My family keep telling me to go outside and get some chips or a drink for them. They know Im scared and I mumble something and say I need toilet and stay in there for 30minutes, lol. But their horrible so I think their doing it on purpose to send me crazy. [V]

Ive noticed Its worse when kids are off school and on holidays. You'd need a crane to get me out of the house around that time. When I rarely go out I only do this around 9-3pm and must be home by 3pm. If I have a appointment which I know will mean I wont be home till after 3pm, I'll cancel it or make up some excuse. I wont go on buses as they terrify me. I feel like wherever I go, everyone is staring at me and know some awful secrets about me or something. If Im standing in a que (this was around christmas time) there was 2 girls by me, a few years younger than me. They were whispering by the side of me and I looked at them and saw one of the girls looking at me and it freaked me out. Thinking about it now I think she saw me turn aorund out of the corner of her eye and looked but I dunno. I feel like a freak.

I cant tell my GP as they wont listen to me. They'll give me Prozac which doesn't work. I've heard Valim works but I'll never get that off my GP. Their a bunch of "quacks". How is agorophobia diagnosed and treated?

Has anyone else got this? I would like to hear personal experiences as well as advice if thats ok. Hope your all doing well.
:D

You have to fight to survive and never give in.

andrew
31-10-05, 03:11
hi aqua,

welcome to the site. reading what you've wrote it sounds like you've got some 'social anxiety' issues as well as agorophobic ones.

have you tried talking to your doctor, you dont have to take any medication they might offer you but you can ask for counselling - although i think the waiting lists are longish. other alturnatives, pay for private counselling, i think CBT type counselling is reckoned to be the most successful. contact your local 'mind' a mental health charity and see if they can offer you anything that might help. no panic offer telephone support for anxiety issues, i think its £10 a year membership, check them out www.nopanic.org.uk and its free to post and chat here, you'll get good support.

i am fairly recovered and in control but i can relate to some of the things you've written from when i was struggling. the avoiding travelling around 3 o'clock thought still pops up lol, altho i can choose what i do. thoughts that people dont like you and are talking about you are fairly common social anxiety traits. and thinking that theres something wrong with ourselves is a fairly common anxiety trait lol.

if you are prepared to fight and keep on trying you will learn to regain control, good luck with the driving, you take care .. andrew

Piglet
31-10-05, 09:48
I agree with Andrew about registering with NoPanic - I am waiting to hear about their telephone course myself.

I would work on getting your general anxiety levels down to a more acceptable level which will in turn help you feel more like working on the agoraphobia side of things.

I get panic attacks and this in turn has lead to the odd spell of semi agoraphobia and this year this has been the worst ever. I was having probs gettin out even accompanied sometimes.

Have you read any of Claire Weekes books many of us on here find them excellent. There are lots of other tips etc on the site if you look around.

One tip that has helped me is to get out every evening for a short walk - for some reason I have no major probs getting out if it is dark - I am guessing this is because I don't feel so noticable in the dark.

Try and work on getting comfortable in some of your feared situations rather than just enduring them before making yourself do more.

Lots of us on the site know exactly how you feel and that it can be sorted out.

Good luck.

Love Piglet :)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Meg
31-10-05, 14:44
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/symptoms.htm
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/healthanxiety.htm

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Lets try to keep our thoughts in perspective (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=283)

The Battle that Rages in my Head (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4149)

: Maxine's cbt progress. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2308)
CBT (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5287)
Starting CBT (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5323)

Have a good read of the Sucesses catagory too.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

tattybear
31-10-05, 15:05
I also suffer from this, but I also agree with piglet with regards to the dark - I find now that its darker at night, i feel so much more safe and less anxious and wanting to go out and do more, and i think it is because we're less noticable in the dark - i supose it acts as a security blanket.

From what i make out, most people feel more depsressd in autum/winter, but im the opposit I love the winter and cold and dark nights and cosy evenings - i feel much more depressed and anxious in the summer!

Work on little stages and smart goals - try not o do too much at once as it may have a negative effect. set yourself small goals and you will ge there.

Tatty B xx

nomorepanic
31-10-05, 21:27
Small steps are needed

Open door
Step out
Go back inside
Deep breaths
Go back out
Stay longer

Keep doing this until you realise that nothing can hurt you.

Nicola

kirgray
31-10-05, 21:28
Hi Aqua

I also suffer with agoraphobia and social anxiety, I have had those thoughts of people staring and catching someones eye, it freaks me out.

Tatty and Piglet-totally agree about the dark nights, I love em!!. they make me feel sooo secure, I think it is the noticeable thing!!, in the summer I walk around half the time with my cap on or sunglasses-I look like Im a celeb in disguise ha ha.

PM me if you want Aqua.

Take Care XKX

Aqua
31-10-05, 23:48
Hiya everyone and thanks for your very kind replies. I'll take a look at all of them links and registering with NoPanic.

I totally agree with you about the dark nights. I think it is kind of a security blanket as we're less noticeable. Sometimes I wish I was invisible. It would be easier, lol.

I love the autumn/winter too and yup I wear caps when Im outside in the summer. I think its because I feel like everyone is staring and criticizing me behind my back when Im wearing summery clothes so I try to avoid going out during summer and hot months. :)

I'll try going outside for a few minutes then going back in and going out again and staying out longer this time. I'll have to do it during daylight as I'm a night person and its my security blanket at the moment.

Im not sure if my GP will listen. Ive got myself a appointment for Fri morning but I doubt she'll do anything. I really think Im at the stage where I need medication and something stronger than Prozac but then again I dont want to become reliant upon the medication so much that I think the agorophobia is gone until I stop the medication and it starts up again.

There is a counsellor at my GP surgery but I dont know what area she specalises in. Hopefully anxiety disorders. Im glad Im not the only one who thinks people are staring and whispering behind their backs. My GP would probably think Ive got bad paranoia and Im schizo or something. Seriously she would, lol.

Isn't social anxiety issues all part of agorophobia? I know hardly anything about agorophobia. [:I]

Thank you all. :)

You have to fight to survive and never give in.

Nicky
07-11-05, 18:00
if i were you seek help before it takes hold of u. make sure they get u seen to right away no waiting about for years.

snuggly-sam
08-11-05, 17:08
Hi aqua.
i also suffer with AGORAPHOBIA and social phobias,i know how u feel and for 6 years i became house bound lost friends and felt totally isolated.whenever i went out i felt hot tight chest felt like i was going to be sick and many a time i had walked out of asda trolley full of shopping left in the isles as im running tot he exit.i know how u feel Pm me if u want to chat ok anytime,Please thought try to seek help from your gp too its a start.let me now how u get on too ok.;)

BeadieJay
10-11-05, 22:29
Hi Aqua

I'm agoraphobic too, and have good days and bad days. I hope you get on okay when you see your doctor - let us know how it goes. I'm on Prozac, beta blockers and amitriptyline and am not sure if any of them help [:I] but I do think I'd be a lot worse without them.

It's interesting that some of you find it easier to go out when it's dark. I find that the hardest time for me. In fact, I rarely, if ever, leave the house when it's dark, and have always had major panic attacks on the few occasions when I have gone out. It's "funny" how agoraphobia affects people in so many different ways. I had a friend who could go anywhere in the car, but couldn't walk to the shops. I could walk to the shops but not go in the car [Sigh...]

I think it's really important that you try and get some kind of talking therapy - maybe CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy). It doesn't work for everyone, but again, because we're all different, it might really help you. I really hope you find something that works for you. I've had some really awful times with my agoraphobia, but I've also had some great triumphs, which I'll share on another thread at some point - I don't want to take over your post!

Anyway, good luck with the doctor.

Fact is the worst enemy of imagination

sun2sun1
21-11-05, 08:06
Hi Aqua,

I'm from the US and I also have Agorophobia. It came on slowly, and I've been dealing with it for about 2 yrs now! I would spend all day either in bed or on the couch, going out only 2 work, and to take the dog out to 'wee!' l;ol. I also had a fear of driving, but I am working on overcoming that! What I can say is, when ur ready, take small steps towards getting out a bit, and it will help! I am in counseling for this and other related issues, and I find to set small goals is useful. Also, someone like this can support u in achieving small goals towards getting out. U will know ur getting better when, even if just for a tiny moment of the day, ur dzire to get out exceeds ur need to stay inside. That darknessthing is also true 4 me! Feel better then,and do most of my computer work late at nite! Anyways, best of luck, and know u have my support in this!

Paul

suzi
19-01-06, 15:42
hey
im agrophobic too. great way to introduce myself but thats the only way there is. i have been diagnosed and i wont prtend its easy to do but its probably the best thing you could do. i hid away for nearly 2 years before i got help. i know how scary it can seem, but looking back it saved my life. im not going to patronise you but if nothing else you should consider seeking a bit of help. i am completely housebound, which is a barrel of laughs in itself and kinda how i found this site! anyway dont wanna bore u but if you wanna chat get in touch, as i said im new so i dont even know how youd do that, but if you know and you want to you can!!! chin up x

Meg
19-01-06, 17:03
Suzi

How did being agoraphobic save your life ?

Alexandra
22-02-06, 10:37
Hi Aqua

I to have agraphobia it was confirmed by my gp last year. Since then i have been put in touch with a good counsellor that i see once a month.

I have to say though along with the support of the gp & counsellor i have really great support from my wonderful fiance Chris, my Mum & close family & friends.

Since going to see the counsellor i can now at least take our dog out for walks rather than relying on someone else & feel alot more confident talking on the phone which i found i used to shy away from.

I would really like to know how your getting on Aqua. Please feel free to PM me anytime.

Take care

Alexandra

Katrina3
23-03-06, 13:06
I was readin the fisrt topic and then scrolled down to see that you can suffer from to phobia`s, like i suffer from Agoraphobia and have been thinking that do i also suffer from socail anxiety? I tend to like bieng around people but also notice that i go red if some one talks to me, i feel muh better when the light is turned of, maybe im looking in to it to much but i dont want to talk to any one else about this, i think im giong to go nuts soon lol

maria25
15-07-06, 02:17
Hello my name is maria and I also am agoraphobic. Im 25 years now but I have suffered with this sence around 14 years of age. I have cryed and been so scared sometimes when I would go out that I would curel up in a ball, thinking I was going to die. So many thoughts would go through my head, and it seems as if I was crazy. There is nothing wrong with you. I also have not been able to go far this whole time. I wish and sit back and pray everyday that maybe I will get strong enough to change this. You already are strong though for even going through this and making it. I have felt so alone, as if no one understands. Most people dont though, but I feel because we are like this it has opened our eyes. We appreciate the little things, and once we do get better we will be so much more happier. You have to keep telling yourself everyday that your going to get better even if you dont believe it. If you even need anyone to talk to please email me kneiceb@aol.com I know how you feel and your not alone. Maria

mackncody
15-07-06, 04:39
I too have agoraphobia. I am not housebound but don't go out much except to ride my horses, doctor app. , and family outings. To those who are housebound, I'm here a lot on the net looking for things to distract myself with give me shout if you need to talk. I'm always here for needy person. Jingles(good luck) and smiles for us all.

SHERLOCK
15-07-06, 14:47
Well thank God for that, I thought I was the only one who acutally
loves the dark nights, I feel so much more relaxed when it's dark,when you tell anyone they think your round the twist, I also have started to wear a hat, I feel sligtly better when I am wearing one, some people make a bit of fun of it but Hey who cares I've got used to the jibes now, but roll on the dark nights, I find I sit there working out how much longer it will be sad aint I.