PDA

View Full Version : Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder

PamJoy
22-01-04, 23:21
Hi - I just found this site and this is my first post. I am a female in my mid-40's. I have had some problems with certain things for years and have found what might be the cause, and it's called "Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder" ("OCPD"), which evidently is different from "OCD". I have read several things on the internet about it and I do fit several of the categories, but the main one that causes me a great deal of distress is my inability to throw things away, especially paper stuff, but really almost anything. Because of this, I do not have room to put anything anymore, and things are literally everywhere - on the floor, on top of tables, and wherever I can find a place to put stuff. I obviously cannot have anyone over as it's very embarrassing, but it's like there isn't anything I can do about it. I actually can throw some things away eventually, but it continues to pile-up and is a never-ending problem. Does anyone else out there have a problem like this, and if so, have you been diagnosed with OCPD? This has been going on with me for a long time - years. I've been on Prozac in the past for depression, but I had this problem while on it. I read where Prozac and other antidepressants could help, but I didn't find that it helped me. I came off Prozac a little over a year ago, and have just started back on it again - again, due to depression, which evidently is also a symptom of OCPD. I guess I'm putting this posting out there to see if someone else out there is like me. I feel like I'm the only one.

PamJoy

red
22-01-04, 23:44
Hi PamJoy - I'm sorry that I can't help you with your question - but I feel that you are in the right place for help and/or guidance.

Welcome to the site - you will, I'm sure find it of great benefit. Good luck to you and take care.

Red
x

Laurie28
23-01-04, 10:34
Hiya Pamjoy,

if you go to the website and read about OCD then I think (and I'm not entirely sure) what you are describing is OCD!!!
Anxiety/ panic/depression and OCD can all be treated in a smiliar fashion. Have a good scout about re relaxation, diet, challenging you thoughts and actions - I'm sure it will all help

Lucky

Meg
23-01-04, 16:42
Hi PamJoy,

My understanding of the difference is that OCPD is when someone has a personality that is preoccupied with rigid and inflexible rules and schedules and lists and OCD is an obsession/compulsion with anything. I guess that's where the hoarding comes in..

Is that your understanding ?

The solutions to most neuroses illnesses are similar (excepting PTSD) in that the medication/CBT route is most proven but many people choose the non med route and are just as sucessful in learning to manage the issues over time with effort and determination.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...