PDA

View Full Version : A newbie's story

Pavlos
31-10-05, 13:24
Well hello to you all.

You may have seen my introduction here: Hello world (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6190). I know all too well how new posts can be covered with a simple search, but I hope this post isn't wasted. I'm looking for advice, but also want to tell my story.

I'm engaged to marry a wonderful woman next year. We've been together for over 8 years now, since we were 16! Some people may think 16 is too young to be staying with someone, but stuff 'em. Anyway, at 16 she was always the life and soul of the party. Wanted to have fun all the time. Life wasn't that good for her at home, always arguing with her parents, but nonetheless she had fun. At eighteen I went off to uni, but with the intention of coming home most weekends. A week into uni her dad was diagnosed with cancer. Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. It took over a year of repeated GP visits and tests to discover this, all the while the lump on his neck growing. He was told for months it was merely a swollen salivary gland. It was devastating for her, and made all the more hard by the fact I was away for most of the week for the next two years. Her dad certainly didn't make things easier for her - increased his drinking and smoking, never spoke to her or her mum etc etc.

Anyway, three years pass, I'm back home, but still living with my parents, her with hers. Her dad then has to have a leg amputated due to a foot burn that doesn't heal properly and it turns out the reason for that is he's seriously diabetic, but nobody ever thought to test him for it. We cancel a once in a lifetime trip backpacking round Europe.Well another two years pass, her dad's on insulin injections twice daily, but still drinking half a bottle of scotch a day. We finally decide to get our own place and manage to get a mortgage. Unfortunately, a week after moving in, her dad dies. At the time it felt to all like a huge relief, of course not in a bad way, just that he suffered a hell of a lot. The funeral passed, tears were shed, and my fiancée told me a lot of her grieving had been done over the past 4 years.

It took a year for her to realse that wasn't the case, and she was prescribed fluoxetine. It helped a great deal, not in everything, but most things. We decided she should come off it 6 months ago, and she's been doing OK.

With regards to health anxiety, I didn't even hear of the term until this morning. But I realise now she has suffered from this ever since her dad was diagnosed 6 years ago. She worries about everything in general, and has had the odd panic attack, but the major worry has always been her health. I won't go into examples as they basically match everything people say here, and especially what the Health Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=healthanxiety) page covers. She knows the things she says aren't rational but it doesn't stop her thinking them, and nobody can. She has had a period recently with gastric reflux, which she thought could be stomach cancer, and now that she's on tablets it's a permanent worry about if she'll be OK when she stops the course. She pleads with me to tell her that one day she won't have a single worry in her mind and yearns for that day to come. On top of all this, she's a nurse. I don't know where to go from here as it's getting increasingly difficult.

I've noticed a couple of book recommendations on here, and wonder if there are any more anyone could recommend. Plus, alternative therapies, such as reflexology... any positive stories?

I look forward to speaking to you all.

Paul

Pavlos
31-10-05, 13:43
Oh I also wanted to ask something else. We've always discussed her worries regarding her health and I've always tried to reassure her that certain symptoms she gets probably aren't serious. But of course this isn't always helpful.

Anyway, do you think I should mention health anxiety to her? Maybe persuade her to look into it? As we've never really discussed the mental side of things, apart from how a lot of her symptoms and feelings are caused by stress...

Meg
31-10-05, 14:54
Health anxiety is stress presenting itself in a different way. Mostly our stress presents itself in a way that is ' logical' for each of us. So if you've had illness- often badly managed the that is what will become logical for your subconcious to present as.

If you've had a problem with self esteen or runs of bad luck often depression will preside.

Our memories and power of association are far stronger than ever we give them credit for.

If you look at our reading pages, there are books we recommend. Claire Weekes being the must have one.

As to what to recommend therapy wise = CBT. Also on home pages.

contiuously obsessed with dying (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2691)
'what if this is it this time thoughts' (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4694)
CONSTANT CHECKING (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4795)
can someone reasure me? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3931)
Fear of tumour... (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4890)
25, new to the site & would LOVE SOME ADVICE ! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5171)
Holiday broke the vicious cycle (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5181)
health anxiety sucks!! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5723)
Reassurance Seeking - Is it Ok?? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6042)

The sooner she recognises it, the sooner she can start to help herself but pick your time with care and tact.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

nomorepanic
31-10-05, 21:33
Pavlos

Sorry to hear that sad story for her and you.

She needs to read the articles for herself as well and above all get a health MOT. This would be blood tests mainly and possibly an ECG and EEG. Then she she will be reassured that she is well. The next HARD step is accepting it I am afraid to say.

I know this is a hard time but she can start to believe she is well if she understands all the aches and pains and what they can mean. Above all she needs reassurance from docs so she can move forward.

Let us know how it goes.

Nicola

Pavlos
02-11-05, 08:44
Thank you all

I spoke to her last night and told her about health anxiety. She's glad the problem can hopefully be labelled, and although it gave her some release to think she's not on her own, she's literally at her wit's end. Lots of tears - she doesn't want to spend the rest of her life like this, and keeps apologising to me for dragging me down too, which of course I tell her she isn't doing at all. I've told her about the site, and we're gonna have a read through stuff tonight. She does recognise the problem and hopefully we can move forward from here.

Do you think we should see her GP first off, or maybe do some reading? I think the GP would be the next step as she can't go on like it much longer.

Paul

jue69
02-11-05, 11:20
Hi Paul

I can totally understand what your girlfriend is going through, if you read my story its headed Am I Normal in this forum, you will see that i too have experienced similar family tragedies to your girlfriend. The events that have happened in my life have given me this total fear of every single symptom i get. Nothing is ever a straight forward cold, sore throat or bruise it always is something terrible in my head.
I do hope she can in time move forward and put past events in the past, but speaking from experience it is so much easier said than done.

Good luck

Jue.

Pavlos
02-11-05, 16:09
Hi Jue

Thanks for the support. Yes I have read your story and it sounds very similar. Can I ask how you are at the moment, and what steps you've taken to try and help yourself?

Paul

jue69
02-11-05, 19:40
Hi Paul

No feel free to ask away. I must admit i am doing pretty well at the moment, but all in all im mostly symptom free. It's when i start getting the odd symptom that my mind goes into overdrive. I have had bereavement counselling and to a degree that helped, but not so much with the health anxiety more with understanding of what had happened. I have a real great hubby who tries his best to understand and i would say your lady has a good guy in you, in that you seem to really care and want to help her. This site has been a god send to me, because i will be honest i thought i was going mad, i knew i wasn't like my friends they never seemed to worry about things that were wrong with them, but i couldn't and still can't at times get my head round the fact that things aren't bad. My parents were both misdiagnosed and now every time i'm told things are o.k. I go away thinking maybe not. My doctor is good, she knows exactly what i'm like and is brilliant at reassuring me.

I hope just knowing that she's not alone helps.

good luck

Jue.

Pavlos
04-11-05, 16:26
Thanks Jue, you sound well.

Yeah she's exactly the same with doctors. She hates going for the initial reason that she doesn't want them to just send her away saying she's being silly. Then she also has huge doubts over whether they are actually right, and believes they could easily be wrong in the same way they were with her dad. She did have bereavement councilling (about a year after he died) and, as you say, it helped with her certain things, mainly her depression, but not with this. She can pinpoint the exact time it started. A week after her dad was diagnosed six years ago, she thought she had a breast lump. It was just tissue that had always been like that, and still is.

She's the same in that she just wants so badly to be like the rest of our friends, without a care in the world, living for the moment, or even the future. Just living would be nice. Not a constant battle against her thoughts.

Well she has an appointment booked with a GP she thinks will listen more than others, but it's three weeks away. First step though.

Is it true that most GPs don't even recognise CBT?

Paul

jue69
07-11-05, 09:08
Hi Paul

Can't answer the question of Doctor's and CBT, mine hasn't mentioned it to me, but as you know i try and avoid the doctor like the plague.

I do understand exactly how she feels, wanting to be like everyone else, but let me let you into a secret. I have kept how i feel to myself for a very long time, the only people that knew were my husband and sister. As i've got older and wiser (i hope), i have learnt not to be embarrassed by how i'm feeling, it's an illness. I now have opened up to lots of my friends, friends who i strived to feel like - as in to look forward and not to worry so much about every symptom i have. The thing i have found is that all of them that are being honest with me, suffer in varying degrees from anxiety. Two of my friends have palpitations and one with full blown panic attacks. Another worries constantly about her health. These are the people who i thought i wanted to be like. I think we all worry, we just have to learn to put it into perspective.
Hopefully her gp can help her with things, having sat down and told mine everything, she is wonderful and completely understands why i'm like i am.

Good Luck

Jue.

Pavlos
28-11-05, 09:01
Hi again all

Been a while. Finally made it to the doctor's last monday. Best doctor I've ever met. She was wonderful. She's sorted out councelling, and hopefully, even if the councellor can't help, they can point us in the direction of someone who can. Also started her on a course of citalopram. It's made her very jittery over the first week, but I think that happened with her fluoxetine last time. Takes 3 or 4 weeks to kick in so we'll stick it out for a while. Hopefully it helps.

Will keep you posted. Thanks for your words all.

Pav

Meg
28-11-05, 13:55
Pav ,

Glad to hear you've taken steps to try to overcome these issues for your partner

Yes Citalopram does take a few edgy weeks to settle and kick in.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

kimmy
20-12-05, 12:43
hello Pav
well isnt your fiancee happy to have you???? i think so, shes in the best capable hands being with a supportive partner like you!!
i too worry about my health, stress and all the other stuff triggered my anxiety and panics off (i think)

citalopram (cyprimil)helped me, they took a while to kick in, but nether the less they work.

i know my thoughts are irrational but i still think about them, have you considered behaviour therapy?

good luck and merry christmas xxxxxxxxx

nell1965
20-12-05, 14:01
Hi Pavlos
Sorry about the terrible time that your partner has had and the trauma she has had to go through both during and after the life of her father.
I can totally relate to her worries and like Meg said many of us share similiar experiences in life that affect us differently and cause us to react in a diferent way. It is totally understandable that your partner has developed a health anxiety, as a nurse she was probably already aware that sometimes things are mis/incorrectly diagnosed or even thatthings sometimes take a certain time to diagnose as medicine is a process of illimination, and this experience with her father has probably shaken her to the very core and left her doubting everything. She is lucky to have you to support her, hopefuly in time she will regain her faith,her grief will ease and she will come through this. In the meantime i agree with what every one has said, good books are the claire weekes books (rec on this site) and i also agree with cbt for your partner. I wish you luck to conquer this and much happiness in your future life together
Take care

I just want my life back
nell
x