PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to do with myself...

Star
04-10-09, 11:32
Hi all,

I'm after some advice...

I suffer from social anxiety, general anxiety and emetophobia - and while i've been going to therapy and feeling much better about myself im having a bit of a struggle...

you see i work from home which is great at the mo but obv it doesnt help me get out and about, i never knew what to do with myself so i used to spend all my time working at home to fill in any spare time i had (me thinking ah im doing nothing i might as well work)...... That logic made me very ill and back to having incredibly bad anxiety (to the point of not even getting out of my room without feeling like i was going to panic or be sick)

Im alot better now im not working so much, but Im back to the old i just dont know what to do with myself on my days off....

Going for a walk only takes 10 mins and theres not alot to walk to, just some local shops or a park, I'm a terrible shopper and either spend money on rubbish or feel too anxious that the security guard would think ive nicked something if i walked out the shop empty handed lol. Going for a drive i can do but im being quite stict on money as i have none lol so dont want to get lost or run out of petrol....

Im slowly making friends (well made one local friend lol) and can do some stuff on my own, but days like today when people are busy and im on my own i just think what on earth should i do? Usually i end up staying at home and i dont want to keep doing that as i end up back on the internet spending 12+ hrs looking at nothing!

Any suggestions for places to go / groups to join or advice on how to over come this problem etc etc would be fab (I'm in Surrey)

p.s ive made a friends in surrey thread in the meet up section if anyone from area wants to have a lool http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60108

Southern_Belle
04-10-09, 16:52
Hi Star,

I realize I'm not from Surrey and have no idea what it is like (would love to though) but you could do some volunteer work. Libraries, kennels, schools, hospitals, all of those love volunteers. I do realize with your anxiety that some of those may not be options but I just put them out there. You could even be a dog walker and make extra money! I would choose something that interests you and then you will find your way. Look in the paper for any groups that meet and I know this will be hard but see if you can attend and you will have something in common with them and it won't be so difficult. Take your new friend with you. I hope this helps.

Take care,

Laura

Kyra714
28-10-09, 06:51
I find myself bored most of the time as well, so here's a little list of some things I do that are both time consuming and enjoyable.

-Volunteer. <- This is a great one If you suffer from Depression as well. Knowing that you are helping someone can help you feel less like a waste of space.
-Write a short story/novel. <- This one helps you forget your troubles.
-Take up a sport/instrument. <- Knowing that you're going to come out of anxiety with a new talent is great.

Well, there you go.
It's a rather short list, but it's enough to keep me entertained.
I hope It helps!
~Kyra

jude uk
28-10-09, 07:43
One thing I think can help is collage night classes or day classes