PDA

View Full Version : Background Anxiety - Illness related

Mudskipper
06-10-09, 15:57
Hi all
Thought I'd stick this on here and see if it strikes a chord with anyone else. Thing is, I have my specific fears which tend to tip me off, cancer for instance or natural disasters. Then there are things like heart disease or road traffic accidents which, ordinarily, I don't worry about much. Now and then however, these things crop up in some form which gets through to me. Then they sit there in the background causing what I call background anxiety. In the case of RTA's, I'm always careful when driving or a pedestrian and have taught my children likewise, but there was a recent case where a car mounted the pavement and knocked a bunch of kids down. Heart disease likewise, I'm careful about what I eat, don't smoke, don't drink and try not to get too overweight. Then last night I was watching a documentary about Douglas Adams, who was apparently healthy but collapsed and died in the gym! Now I've spent the day dwelling on it and thinking he was only 6 years older than me.

I guess what both these things have in common is that I've been able in the past to accept that I'm doing what I can to avoid them and leave it at that. Now however, free of any other particular worries, it's like they get promoted. They can't cause me the same level of anxiety as cancer, for instance, because I know if these things were to happen, it would all be over pretty quick and I'd be out like a light, but they still sit there in the background, doing their best to spoil things in a mean and petty way.

Anyone else feel like this ever?