PDA

View Full Version : Changed dosage?

BabyRachel
07-10-09, 08:24
I recently (one month ago) started on 5mg of lexapro. My panic attacks were reduced but I was still constanly anxious. I couldn't see my usual doctor so I saw her husband who is also a doctor and he said I needed to REDUCE my dosage. I was having nausea and feeling very spaced out but I thought I needed to increase it as I was still very anxious. He wants me to start taking 2mg and increase in a week or two to 3mg.

Im very worried about only taking 2mg. Firstly, I don't want my anxiety to get worse because im taking less medication and also because I've read about the very nasty side effects for when you go off the pills all together.

Has anyone else reduced their dosage like this? What has happened? I really appreciate any replies as its freaking me out a bit. :unsure:

Thanks guys

Dee01
07-10-09, 09:44
Hi Rachel,

It sounds like you were put on the 5mg too fast. Usually they work up to 5mg over a 1 or 2 weeks.

Maybe this doc recognised your system wasn't able to cope with a starting dose of 5mg, so he's reduced the dose initially so your system can learn to cope with the change in your brain chemistry.

Your anx won't get better until your system gets used to the effect the pills have on yourself - but in my experience, you will feel much better once its all settled down. It may just take a while to find the correct dose for you. Keep your appointments and make sure you tell your doc everything so they can adjust your dose accordingly.

Best of luck, and keep us informed xxx

BabyRachel
07-10-09, 09:57
Thanks for replying :)
Yes Im very particular about keeping my appointments - every support I can get to help me is very very welcomed. I suppose I'm just worried about lowering the dose because a few days ago I missed my dose and took it about 8 hours late and had massive panic attacks in the morning.... I just don't want my mind to go into some state of shock and freak out on me again..
x