PDA

View Full Version : Breast cancer?!

BETHAN97
07-10-09, 21:51
ok, so i dont know how many of you are watching the pride of britan awards on itv right now? But after seeing the young girl diagnosed with breast cancer at such a young age, i started to check my boobs, after about half hour of checking feeling ok, i felt a tiny lump in my left boob right near the top, kinda near my armpit..
am i being really silly, looking for things and creating things in my head again, or should i be worried?
THIS IS NEVER ENDING! :(

pollyanna
07-10-09, 22:28
Hi Bethan

I watched the pride of britain awards too , and saw the the young woman that you are talking about . breast cancer in particular, is one of the things that i am absolutley terrified of, and even my monthly breast checks is a quick scoot around, because i cant bear to spend too long feeling around, just in case i find something, silly i know.
When i was 18 i found a lump in my breast, went to my gp, who sent me to the hospital the next day., i was seen , and reassured that it was just part of my normal breast tissue. the breast is made up of lots of ducts, lobes and nodules, and not everythng is smooth, i have ' lumpy' breasts as the norm, and tends to be worse before a period, that is why the advise women to examine themselves after their monthly period.
Over the past couple of years, my anxiety around this has grown, but i think that is because we hear a lot in the media, making women more aware of breast health. It must have been like this for years, but there wasnt the same awareness surrounding this issue, and i am sure many woman slipped under the radar, or never went to seek any help, as they didnt know what to look for or what was a possible problem, or it just wasnt spoken about.
I dont know what age you are, i am 42, and still have that lump i found when i was 18.
Most breast lumps are totally harmless, but i believe that if its new to you and you are worried about it, you should consult your doctor, in saying that, you have said that you spent half an hour , and in that time everything was ok, and then you found this small lump, almost like you werent going to give up until you had found something, now if you had done an examination, a quick 5 - 10 mins, you wouldnt have found anything at all.Also after half an hour, breasts get a bit sore being poked and prodded, also you dont use the end of your fingertips to do the examination, as when you do, you can feel all the little nodules, ducts etc, which are all normal.
There is probably nothing to worry about, , thats all right for me to say i know , but if you are worried just get it checked out, If nothing else you can use this examination as a base line, or even get your gp or practice nurse to carry out a regular examination, if you dont want to do it.

I totally sympathise with you, when i cant something in my head, it is very, very hard to get rid of it, and it can cause a lot of distress.

I hope you can move on from this soon.

Best wishes

P x

Maj
07-10-09, 22:38
Hi,

Yes, most breast lumps are harmless! I was recalled after a mammogram earlier this year. I was recalled to the screening centre in Glasgow. My friend was also recalled but was told to go back to screening van (which was based in the local supermarket car park!) as there had been technical difficulties. I couldn't understand why I was recalled to the actual screening centre and was convinced that I had breast cancer. Why couldn't I just go back to the van? Anyway, I went up to the centre, was taken into a room and told that they had noticed a couple of lumps in my left breast and that they wanted to re-screen and do an ultrasound. It was an awful feeling because my friend had died of breast cancer two years previously and it brought all the memories back of her. Anyway, after the ultrasound I was told it was simple cysts and they aspirated there and then, painlessly. How fortunate was I. So yes, most breast lumps are harmless, please try not to worry too much about them, get them checked out and then you can put your mind at rest. We always think the worse but more often than not it's not!!
Regards
Myra:yesyes:

BETHAN97
09-10-09, 23:40
thanks guys for your imput, i'm pretty sure i was just dreading over nothing... yet again! but if i do feel again and there is anythhing there that i get remotly worried about, i will go straight to the doctors.. i am really glad you both posted on this, thank you

katr
10-10-09, 00:13
Hiya, i saw that girl on pride of britain also and as a result sat crying like mad for the next hour as after checking i had found a lump in my left breast. I think it scared me so much cause she is so young, i am 26. I had a biopsy done on a different lump when i wos 19 which wos fatty tissue but felt the need to ask the doc again anyway. She did an examination and has called me back later in the month to c if it has changed any, but she says she is not worried. Just letting u know u were not alone in ur worries and some girls r just prone to harmless lumps but id always get it checked anyway for peace of mind.. Im not as worried anymore but doc mite send me for ultrasound after next app. Its horrible how we r so reactive to things we hear about but i guess its in our personalities...