PDA

View Full Version : New to this forum

aggie
08-10-09, 10:59
Hello. I am a 42 year old diabetic woman who suffers with anxiety and depression. My doctor has just put me back on cipralex 10mg. I've been on them before and felt so much better once they got into my system but I don't remember it being this hard. It doesn't help that I'm also getting over shingles and the dreaded swine flu. Tried to go back to work yesterday after two and half weeks off but could only manage half a day. Feel this has really knocked my confidence. We have fun things planned for the weekend and I'm already fretting about it. I started the tablets just over a week ago and can't say I feel any better. Think I'm driving my husband mad with my constant wittering but it just feels so traumatic. Any advice would be most grateful.

diane07
08-10-09, 11:02
Hi aggie

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

pollyanna
08-10-09, 11:18
Hi Aggie

Just wanted to say hi and :welcome:.

Im not surprised that your confidence hs been rocked a bit, when you have been physically unwell, this will impact on you mentally, and you have not just had one thing, there have been a few, you will need time to recover from your bouts of illness, before you can fight the mental battle, cut yourself a bit of slack, i think anyone even if they didnt suffer from anxiety and depression would be a little knocked for six with what has been going on.
As for what you have planned for the weekend, just see how it goes, do what you can, go with the flow and see what happens. Even if you only do some of what you have planned, its better than cancelling altogther.

Best wishes

P x

aggie
08-10-09, 11:23
Thanks for your kind words. I think you're right, I do need to cut myself a bit of slack. I have a tendency to put a lot of pressure on myself and expect myself to be up and running sooner that expected.

chantelle
08-10-09, 11:40
Hi Aggie

I am also on cipralex but it took them about 4-5 months to help. I had been on citalopram before and they had seemed to work so fast (at least in my memory) that I contemplated changing but I feel that any progress was hindered by my lack of faith in the tablet. Now I feel so much better - I feel like I'm almost back to my old self and accepting that the tablets will work sometime was the first step on my road to recovery. I also started to look more positively at life and greet each morning by looking in the mirror and saying "Good morning, Chantelle. It's great to be alive!" Remember that you recovered before and you can do so again. Give yourself permission to have a bad day - tomorrow will always be a new day. Enjoy your weekend and just go with the flow.

Take care........

A little hug from me to you
to make you smile when you feel blue
to make you happy when you're sad,
to let you know life ain't so bad.
Now I've given a hug to you,
somehow I feel much better too
hugs are better when they're shared.
Hope you have a good day
Thinking of you....

Chantelle

aggie
08-10-09, 14:07
Thanks, Chantelle. That's good advice. I do tend to look on the negative instead of praising myself for the little positive steps. Having a bad day today and accepting it just as that. Just been out for a walk in the lovely sunshine to lift my spirits ... that worked wonders.