PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram and strange dreams..

Desprate Dan
09-10-09, 17:16
Hi All,

Would just like to know if any of you taking Citalopram suffer with strange dreams and nightmares??

I have always had dreams but since i have been on the Cit's they seem to be all the time every night strangest dreams iv'e ever experienced sometimes frightening and i wake in a panic, I am not the best sleeper and never really feel like i fall into a deep sleep just a semi concious state..

Does anyone else feel like this? and any tips for a better dream free sleep would be appreciated..:)

Desprate Dan

burberrygirl72
09-10-09, 17:43
im only on day 4 of mine so fingers x noy up to now my nightmares are in the day panic attacks and sickness and headaches x

chickpea
09-10-09, 17:52
I'm having weird dreams too, and like you described, I never feel properly asleep - it's like I'm barely conscious and I have a million disjointed thoughts rushing round my head.
I've also had 3 nights in the last month where I've spent most of the night feeling incredibly anxious and haven't slept at all - really horrible.
My GP gave me some Zopiclone sleeping tablets to take when I feel I need them. They do the opposite - I fall asleep within 15 minutes and wake up some hours later, not able to remember anything. Trouble is, they give me a hangover feeling and I *think* I wake up more anxious on them.:unsure:

Danath
09-10-09, 18:29
Really common side effect of SSRI antidepressants are vivid dreams, I had them on fluoxetine(prozac) and get them on citalopram, absoloutely nothing to worry about matey, if theyre good dreams just enjoy the ride!

Hope this helps

Dan

Desprate Dan
09-10-09, 19:15
Really common side effect of SSRI antidepressants are vivid dreams, I had them on fluoxetine(prozac) and get them on citalopram, absoloutely nothing to worry about matey, if theyre good dreams just enjoy the ride!

Hope this helps

Dan

Wish they were good dreams Dan, mostly troublesome dreams about work.....awful feeling when you wake up feeling like you have just spent all night at work and then you need to get out of bed and go...like doing a double shift...:wacko: Some crazy dreams lately, one i was on a fairground ride i could see myself in the carridge and the ride started going out of control...:scared15: then one night i was fighting the Taliban..:scared15: i was on top of this tall building and all i had were stones to throw down at them and they were shooting at me with guns....Just dont know were they come from...:wacko:

Like chickpea said i also tried taking tamazepam but all that happened it sent me to sleep faster but i still woke up after a couple of hours, so no real joy, guess i will just have to put up with them..

I often wonder when you get really stressed in your dreams is this actually having an effect on your body, because whilst you are dreaming you actually think its happening, so really your body is getting no rest at all..

Dan

Panic33
09-10-09, 19:17
I'm on SSRIs and I have the most awful dreams at times, they not as bad as when first started on the meds, but I'm still having and I'm into week6. Daft thing is I rarely ever dream before the ADs.

joans60
09-10-09, 19:26
I have been on Citalopram for about 5 months and I still get weird dreams and I wake up sweating.
I can go to sleep but seem to wake up early in a morning at it makes it a long day because you are still very anxious.
Does this happen to anyone else.

Joan

Desprate Dan
09-10-09, 19:43
Yes Joan, i go to to bed about 11pm and i wake up around 3.30am but often wake afew times in between,.. I have just down loaded some relaxation music on my ipod, i am going to have it on very low and see if it helps me to sleep tonight..

Dan

joans60
09-10-09, 20:19
Hi Dan
That is what I do sometimes if I cant get to sleep I put my cd player on with my headphones and I usually drop of to sleep.
I do sleep longer than that I usually drop of to sleep at about 11 and sleep till about 6 but then it still makes it a long day till my husband gets back I try and keep myself occupied or I go for a ride in my car.

Joan

Angelic_one_
10-10-09, 23:01
Been on Cit for four weeks now, the dreams are sometimes horrendous and other times make no sense at all :wacko:
i hope its just a side effect that wont be ongoing as i'm supposed to have upped them to 20mg already still haven't done it as i find myself dreading bedtime, if 10mg can make me dream/nightmare like that what will 20 do....

paullong
10-10-09, 23:46
yep very lucid dreams and strangely enough only have to have a thought during the day and i can dream about it. Never feel like ive been in a deep sleep too its likr im just dozing....20mg cit

roo2002
11-10-09, 09:39
Hi everyone, ive been experiencing exactly the same symptoms. I started on Cit 10mg about 6months ago...had really intense, weird dreams for a couple of weeks, then they stopped, moved up to 20mg and the same happened, for only a couple of weeks, ive now turned a corner with my therapy and decided to go down to th 10mg again about a month a ago & every night since then have had weird/intense/dramatic dreams, that are often waking me up.
Am thinking now it may just be best to come off them...apart from the fact I was made redundant on friday which has sent me downhill again...off to the docs tomorrow for a chat!
Sar

thefunkygypsy
12-06-14, 09:17
hi ive just started my citalopram in the last week what a ride its been horrible day two I rang my doctor as I was waking up at four a lot then I stared having weird dreams horrible things from the past that got me depressed in the first place did my head in im hoping with time my body might adjust and I can handle it:shrug:

---------- Post added at 08:12 ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 ----------

yep youre definitely not alone with your strange symptoms I m doing it too!

---------- Post added at 08:17 ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 ----------

yep this whole citalopram thing is super creepy my dreams are like a haunted house kind of experience that just replays over and over just in different dreams same theme though its kinda evil like you im hoping it wears off in time I don't like feeling haunted and hunted by something I can't see:unsure::yahoo:

fred61
12-06-14, 13:22
Hi funkygypsy
Great name. I hope you are managing with the side effects. It does take a while. And they do mess with your sleep as well so do affect our dreams. I too have very vivid dreams, thankfully not too frightening just very odd and random. I've always assumed it is because in the first few weeks it really disrupts sleep so we don't get into really deep sleep.
Having been on them before in my experience it did settle down. Sadly just takes time
Fred

weplant
13-06-14, 16:57
I take a small dose (.5mg) of ativan (lorezapam) at night, and that seems to help a bit..:)

aprilmoon
13-06-14, 17:21
I know its a different forum,but mirtazapine takes some beating for dreams as well
:wacko::wacko: