PDA

View Full Version : Any Reassurance Gratefully received!

jaggerfan
10-10-09, 07:58
Hi, I'm new!!! In bit of a state! Have always suffered with social phobia and had "hot" turns out of the blue when talking to people, really got me down!

No, to cap it all, have been really stressed recently and seem to be aware of my heartbeat all the time especially when laying in bed and it is stopping me sleeping. I have tested my resting pulse and it is about 75.

Having had cancer 3 times many many years ago I am lothe to go to the doctors as I know what that will mean, tests, waiting of results etc. which will make me worse!!!

Any reassurance that this this is just a nervous problem, any other sufferers out there?? Thanks for any help.

nomorepanic
10-10-09, 08:09
Hi jaggerfan

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

lyndon41
11-10-09, 21:31
Hi, I'm new!!! In bit of a state! Have always suffered with social phobia and had "hot" turns out of the blue when talking to people, really got me down!

No, to cap it all, have been really stressed recently and seem to be aware of my heartbeat all the time especially when laying in bed and it is stopping me sleeping. I have tested my resting pulse and it is about 75.

Having had cancer 3 times many many years ago I am lothe to go to the doctors as I know what that will mean, tests, waiting of results etc. which will make me worse!!!

Any reassurance that this this is just a nervous problem, any other sufferers out there?? Thanks for any help.
hi there jaggerfan
dony worry you are amongst the most understanding people on here.
everyone can here their heartbeat if they are listening for it,i to have experienced what you have been going through and the more you listen to your heatbeat the louder it seems to become,this is quite normal when lying down .you sound stressed by how you speak so please talk to your doctor and have the tests if you are worried.if and WHEN they come back nagative you will feel a different person im sure,in the meantime try listening to some very low music when your in bed and if you have earphones use those(but not loud) this usually always works for me,infact try radio 4 at 00.45 the shipping forecast,i guarantee you will go out like a light within minutes and when you wake up all refreshed you'll also know what the weathers going to be like in the north sea!

BE STRONG AND BE TOUGH THIS IS A FIGHT YOU WILL WIN TRUST ME I KNOW.

Maj
11-10-09, 22:15
Hi,
Sounds like anxiety. Hearing your heartbeat is a common symptom of it. Try not to test your pulse - you only wind yourself up doing that - we've all been there!! If you are really worried about your heart then go to your doctor and they'll arrange an ecg and I bet it is normal! Try some deep breathing exercises and they will calm you down and let you really think clearly and lessen your need to panic. You'll also meet people on this site who are feeling like you and it'll make you feel so much better.
Take care
Myra:hugs:

Veronica H
12-10-09, 08:12
:welcome:Jaggerfan
Many here with anxiety check their pulse and tune into their heartbeats when anxious.There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes;SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES ISBN 0-7225-3155-9.This is available from the NMP shop. Dr Weekes was a fellow sufferer who really understood this illness. She took the mystery out of it and devised a simple programme for recovery. I can not recommend this enough. This will get better.

Veronica

jaggerfan
12-10-09, 08:56
Thank you all so much for your replies, they have helped me so much.
I plucked the courage to use our BP monitor and it was in the normal range and pulse 78 so thats OK too.

I will look into all the things you have mentioned, thnaks again, i am so glad I found this page . x