PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I am new here! Beware...it's long :)

ToniDMB
23-01-04, 19:31
Hi everyone! My name is Toni, I am a 23 year old female from the States. I am here because I am fighting a battle against panic disorder and anxiety. I was diagnosed with having depression when I was 16. I dealt with it by taking medication and seeing a councelor. I was in a bad car accident last may, and since my accident, I suffer from Panic Attacks. My first attack was a few days after the accident. I called my doctor, and he suggested going to the ER. They gave me Ativan and instantly the physical symptoms diminished and then went away. They did a cat scan just to be sure there was nothing else they should be concerned with, but everything turned out to be alright. Since May, I have had maybe ten attacks...the most recent two just happened here at work within the last week. I was taking zoloft, but would skip days. and then try to take it, and it seemed to make my anxiety worse, so I have altogether stopped taking zoloft.
The attack I had yesterday was dibilitating. I was sitting down having lunch, and all of the sudden, whoosh....I feel faint, dizzy, nauseous, my head buzzes, I even see spots sometimes but that is when I feel closest to passing out, I have heart palpitations, I sweat, and my body becomes flushed.

I had to leave work, and my dad came to get me. The doctor wanted us to go to the ER again, but I was afraid to go, so my father called and explained to him what had happened the last time I felt this way and what they did for me, so my doctor called in a perscription for the ativan. I took it, and I felt much better.

I am afraid of all these things that are happening to me. I feel that nobody understands...I am so afraid of everything that it has already started to disrupt my life. I just started this job in December and already I am assistant manager, and I love this job SO much...I work in weight loss, so I get to lose weight (which I am in need of) and help others, and I love having a job that actually improves someone else's quality of life, it sure does make me feel better, but I am afraid that if I keep having these attacks at work I will be jepordizing my future career plans with this company.

I spoke with the owner today and let him know my problems, he knew I had some already, and he just told me to do what my doctor says, excersize and stuff, so I am doing all that. I am also praying a lot, and doing meditation and relaxation therapy.

Any other suggestions?

Much love to you all!
Hugs,
Toni

Meg
23-01-04, 19:50
Hi Toni.

It's great that you have such a good reaction to Ativan as it proves to you that all these symptoms are completely anxiety related ..

Spend a bit of time mulling over what was busy dwelling in your mind before you had your panic attack. Probably completely nothing to do with work.

There are several things that you can do to help yourself with these although they are not ‘cures’ in the traditional way as taking an antibiotic and the infection goes away completely.

Medication can help to give you a break from the worst part of panic but unless something else changes within you - when you come off the medication the issues remain and often the panic reoccurs. Beta blockers are very helpful to reduce the symptoms and are not mood altering drugs and are not sedatives - they are used in anxiety to reduce the racing heart beat and associated spiralling physical symptoms. NOT for asthmatics though.

Other avenues that do help include:

Breathing - Learn to breathe from your diaphragm, your tummy should rise and fall with your breath as well as your chest. Ensure your out breath is longer than the in one. A count of 4 in – 6 out is great. Use this as soon as you feel panic rising. Alternatively, hold your breath for a few seconds

Distraction- As soon as you feel the anxiety soaring and you get afraid – do something different. Change your environment, talk to someone, do something, distract yourself. It’s often enough to dissipate the panic .

Comfort yourself – be totally positive with yourself but do allow yourself to go with it. Keep giving yourself positive messages that this will pass naturally and cannot harm you- breath and distract.

Regular exercise – uses the adrenaline/ noradrenaline and the cortisol that are secreted when panic sets in and enhances endorphine production

Tai’ chi or Yoga – promotes complete relaxation as well as stretching. This has a cumulative effect so try it regularly. The meditation part also helps learn to still the mind and cumulatively is a very effective exercise to learn to use during panic.

Relaxation tapes are extremely useful . Find one you like and stick to it. Play it every day whether you are stressed or not and soon whenever you feel anxious just putting it on will relieve that tension .

Massage- releases the tension that builds up in your tissues. Often with anxiety we store it in major muscle groups apart from the usual chronic shoulders and neck so leg muscles etc can go into spasm. Reaction from the guts is also common, you may find you get wild disturbances.

When you are starting to feel anxious - Bach rescue remedy will take the edge off.. These are flower essences, are completely safe and have no sideeffects. A couple of squirts in a bottle of water and sip liberally all day. Additionally, I used Aspen for fear, Cherry plum for terror and Rock rose for control.

Nutritional supplements – having panic and anxiety is extremely draining on your body resources. A strong 50-100 mg Vit B complex supplement is highly recommended as is extra calcium and magnesium , take this one at night . www.quest.co.uk is a reputable source.

Unless you’re intolerant , warm milk at night contains tryptosan which promotes sleep and relaxation.

Aromatherapy- lavender, clary sage, vetiver oil baths.

If you are really shaky passiflora /lemon balm/ valerian root/ hops tinctures for instant help or tablets regularly.
St Johns Wort can also help but doesn’t kick in for 3 weeks or so
Kava Kava is brilliant for anxiety but is currently withdrawn from the EU whilst investigations go on into possible liver sideeffects complicated by anxiety people often taking to alcohol for relief…
For constant insomnia melatonin is excellent. It’s not available in the UK but widely available in the US where its main use is for jetlag

With all of the herbs above if you are on any other medications at all then you must check it out carefully and ask for professional advice. SJW is a definite No if you’re on the pill, immunosuppressants

ToniDMB
23-01-04, 20:49
Meg-

GOD BLESS YOU for making such a quick reply! I am actually on the diet program that we sell at our center...it is very nutrionally balanced, I take multi-vitamins daily and I also take Essential Fatty Acids, which are your Omega 3's and 6's...they are basically your fish oils, but they are good for many different reason, they help with depression, but I don't know what it's effects would be on anxiety.

I go to two therapists (one through the state, I only have three visits, and another one through a special program, since I don't have benefits yet, but will have them soon). I think the extensive therapy is what I need right now. I do have relaxing music, we even have a relaxation chair here at work that I get into whenever I have a free minute. I pray for help too, and that seems to help me, I am trying to deal with this as best I can so I don't have to avoid places.

I haven't had that urge to not go somewhere, although I don't drink alcohol at all anymore, well since my accident, which was not even alcohol related, but I lost my sense of security that day, and I guess it made me think that life is too short so I should stay home with my son (he's six) instead of going out to a bar every now and then. I still have friends I do things with, like going to movies or to the mall..although I find that I feel pretty anxious in a movie theater...ugh...but it never goes into full blown panic mode thank god.

Well, I am on my way to another appointment..wish me well!

Hugs and thanks again!
Toni

Meg
23-01-04, 20:57
Toni,

The latest research is also showing benefits for anxiety too

Just checking that your diet isn't a severely carbs restricted one .

Take care

Meg

stephen
23-01-04, 21:40
hi toni ,welcome to nmp i,m sure you,ll find a lot of help here everybody understands what everyone else is going through take care and join us in the chat room sometime .steve

stimpy
24-01-04, 00:23
Very nice to meet you.

Hang in there, we have all suffered just like you.
It will take time, but you will get better.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

ToniDMB
24-01-04, 00:27
Thank you all very much for your support...unfortunatly I went to see my doctor today, but she had thought I called to cancel (I still have to figure this out) and she left the office 15 minutes before i got there, so now I have to wait until Tuesday to be seen by someone, which I am lucky to have another appointment so soon, but it is still frustrating. Yesterday I had a horrific attack and I would have really loved to have that appointment today :(

Oh well.

Hugs,
Toni

Buby
24-01-04, 01:04
toni,

you thought yours was long! god meg you can write girl!

hugs