PDA

View Full Version : Hello - new to the forum

sam2009
11-10-09, 17:24
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum but thought I would join as hoped that speaking to people who know what I am going through would help me.

I have a history of depression/anxiety since I was a child but thought I had it under control. However got married last year, then the day I got back from my honeymoon my parents told me they were getting divorced, and this year my husband was made redundant. So things are pretty tough and think thats what brought on my relapse. Although this time I am not actually depressed (not like how I used to feel) but now I am suffering from Agoraphobia and panic disorder.

My problems specifically centre around needing the toilet and panicking about not being able to get to one. I live in London and regularly need to catch trains/tubes etc which is becoming increasingly difficult. I have also recently had to cancel holidays, days out and work trips because I am worried that I will panic - so am stuck in a vicious circle.

Don't want to take medication because I was on prozac/valium/citrolopram for years in the past and it took me a long time to get off them. Have been to see a doctor who referred me for CBT but I had to pay privately and couldn't afford the £110 a session so only went once.

Anyway, thats me. Hope to chat to some of you soon.

diane07
11-10-09, 17:25
Hi sam2009

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

chris670
11-10-09, 21:12
Hello
Welcome to no more panic , you have come to a good place where you will meet people who suffer simular to you and can offer help and advise .

With time you will see the benifit from joining . take care of you

Maj
11-10-09, 22:07
Hi,

What a rotten start to your marriage, no wonder you are anxious. I think the toilet anxiety is actually a very common thing. It's our worst nightmare, not having access to a toilet when we feel we really need it! If you really don't want to go on the meds again you should really try Claire Weekes books. Have you read any of her books? They explain all the symptoms and why we are so scared of them when all we need is acceptance of how we feel and this actually brings less anxiety and eventually you feel better. I can't stress enough how they can help you. I was on meds many years ago and now when I feel a wee setback coming I read her book and it makes me feel better. I hope you get back on the road to recovery again soon.
Take care
Myra:hugs:

Veronica H
12-10-09, 08:14
:welcome:Sam. This is a friendly place with great support.

Veronica

sam2009
13-10-09, 19:15
Thanks everyone for your lovely messages.

Myra: I will definately try that book - thanks for the recommendation.

Have also decided to try hypnotherapy after reading some posts on here - first session this Friday. Fingers crossed x

johnny29
13-10-09, 20:11
im also new today sam and ive spent the last 3 hours going through the site and already understand my problem 100% more than i have in the last 10 years as ive just struggled along with it thinking i was the only person in the world with the problem maybe not the only person with the problem but with my symptoms anyway but this site has started helping so much already