PDA

View Full Version : OCD and my 6y old daughter I have right this time.

mum2four
01-11-05, 23:49
I have a 6y old that has very diffucult behaviour she has alway been difficult.
She has always been smart and had a huge vocabulary and clear voice. I thought that sensory defensiveness discribes her and ODD at one stage but it cant be ODD cause she only like it at home. And sensory defenciveness still fits her but i think OCD explain what she say's when she angry and upset.

3mth old she hated being held she would cry till you put her down.

6mth old she refuse to eat food off a spoon. If she couldn't feed her she would open her mouth for food and nothing could get her to open it.

1y she started screaming about her clother saying yuck yuck and would rip her clother time after time it could take hour's to get her dresses and keep her dressed. she screamed about bath time saying it was dirty or cold or yuck simple word's the same with food everything was yuck or bad in some way. Allday tamtrum's big time. She started biting and attacing and pushing till you let her go and as soon as got any attenstion so would growl at the person or attack the person or object nearest to her.

1 1/2 she started swearing and attacking worse about the same thing's saying. The clothes smelled or thay were dirty evem she saw me get in out of the dryer freshly dryed and warm still. she was stil angry about everything. If she walked she said i was making her brack her leg's if she was in her pram she was screaming about not being able to breath and i was hurting her.

2y she was the same but had better word's like your killing me food make me sick and she would gag. if you put her a bath she screamed about it being dirty or cold or scared of going under the water ect and she was standing with 1 foot in the bath while trying to literaly throw her self out over the edge to get out of the water. She would hug you unless you has a pooh bear and even then it was long enought to get him back safe in her arm's.

2 1/2 she was still screaming all day about everything and it was alway about people hurting her to noisy that I was going make her ear not work or to yucky to touch even people. She would have hour long screaming session about hating everyone and everyone hating her. she was so out of control attack people in public if thay refuse to leave her alone after screaming go away. I could take up to 30 min to strap her in to her stroller and she wouls scream You killing me I cant breath you bracking my arm or my leg's the pram in yucky your giveing me a tummy ache or a head ache you name she said and looking back it was about her health but how dose a child so young stress out about thing like that. She may have learnt from her mum and nana and had predispotion to stress out about the smallest think like us.

she went on like this till she turn 4 and half 5y and then i got pregnant and something about the pregnancy or maybe ot was coincedance that she calmed down dramaticly but the winging never stopped i thing moving to bigger house help as well she had more space and I couldn't go much cause we live so far away from thing and I was tired lot's so many of her trigger's where no longer there.

She six now and she still has to be reasured that she not dieing because she hit her head or bumped her arm. She dose contant body check's to make sure she healing and no more injury's ect. She get literaly a terafied look in her eye's when she get a tiny scratch. She Alway going on about germ and getting sick. She say he has tummy ache heap and headache and feel like she has the energy to walk or pick thing up and dose the whole dragging her self on the floor rutine but as soon you say sorry you need to pick that up she slowly get's more angry.

With every step she take in public she get more angry and eventuy started complianing that her leg dont want to move she tired and while she doing this she lowering her to the ground. If you make her stand she can go balistic at you. You have to stand back and try to convines her to take more step them she complain that she cant breath and do the excess breathing thing. if you say you hav

nomorepanic
01-11-05, 23:57
I think a lot of these are normal childhood behaviours and fears.

I was just as bad. Hated trousers - refused to wear them, hated anything round my neck in case it strangled it me, hated most foods etc etc

Don't let her fear all these things and don't encourage her to hate them. Teach her they are normal and won't hurt her.

You can make her have OCD type behaviour if you let her think these things are bad or normal or you act with shock with all the things she does. For example if she grazes herself and you panic and tell her it has to be cleaned straight away or she will get an infection then she will learn this. I am not saying you do this but can you see what I am saying.

She is learning behaviour and response and she most likely learns it from people and situations around her so don't let her.

She is young and can unlearn these behaviours if you knock them on the head now and reassure her.

If it is really bad then get her treatment asap or it will go on for a long time!

Nicola

mum2four
02-11-05, 00:26
The behaviour she has has not been lernt by people around her you cant posible learn to hate everything as a baby.

I have never NEVER given in to her words I alway explain to her she may not like something but really has to get use to it and getting anrgy wont change much.

I'm not some mother who let;s her children cling to her and pamper there every whim in fact i have been acused of the oppersite becauyse i refues to allow her to use the excuse to get the cuddle to avoid what i have asked her to do and I'm really getting sick people asumeing that i must be allowngn the behaviour cause I AM NOT and I;m sorry if alway feel's That what zi just said is agressive in anyway but I'm trying so hard to make anyone just antone listen to me about my daught SHE IS NORMAL and I HAVE NOT pampered her agressiveness or excuses. She would not be as good as she is today with out the tremendous effort I PUT IN to help her ge3t use to life the way it is. I'm sick of hearing go away stop worring she'll grow out it I DID NOT grown out if it I use to hide in my room as kids with a medical book looking for reason for my symptom because everyone said the same about me back when I was kid. If I dare to talk about how I felt I shot down in a second and told to stop winging. I tell my daughter that if she dose have the problems she claim's anger is not that way to make people understand and she is sent away till she calms down and come back to talk to me properly and It taken 6y to get her to talk as much as she dose today.

I'm not trying to be some over protective mother who make thing seem wosre than thay are becasue I dont have the energy to deal with the behaviour. My house is run on a strick schedule for 5 mth now and my older 2 kids have taken well to it and my 6 is better but she still complain about germs and I have never obsessed about germs just the oppersite I stop steriling bottle's at 4 mth old I dont use anti bactrial cleaner. i dont tell my kids Yuck you droped that put it in the bin i dont complian about thing clothes not smelling clean none of these behaviour are ;learn by the home inviromnet. I dont pick my kids up a say OHHHHHH poor you do you need a band aid i say opps get up you ok brush your self off you'll be fine the bandaid are in you cupboard.

My kids aren't irrsponciable thay are expected to clean there room and make ther morning lunch and male there oaw brackfast or get there ow salod for tea or thay make there own food at least 3 night's a week cause with out all these thing to keep them busy and teach them about life thay would be untterly UNCONTROABLE. Before we started telling will at 3 to do it her self if she was going to scream at no matter what we tryed she was out of control 200 % we had to bye a speacial safty toaster for hert to make toast because that all she would eat and no matter what we tryed she woold not eat much els. We ended up having to incorage differnt things on her toast to get her to try mew thing's. We refuse to look fore her dailty clothers at age 3 because she would scream at us we would say you chooce then come to me for help when you not angry. she couldrun around naken attacking people cause thay would choose her clothes and the same if we try to help her decide. We stopped trying to brush her hair every day she had easy care hair thank good nees. it took from the age of 3 to now to get her to stop scream about everything no mater what you tryed So please dont tell me this is normal child behaviour with the thing we have done to get her to the point she at now.

nomorepanic
02-11-05, 00:45
Woah

Ok I have a few things I disagree with here.

"My kids aren't irrsponciable thay are expected to clean there room and make ther morning lunch and male there oaw brackfast or get there ow salod for tea or thay make there own food at least 3 night's a week cause with out all these thing to keep them busy and teach them about life thay would be untterly UNCONTROABLE"

Are these kids treated as kids or adults? How can you expect them to do all that alone. They are being made to be adults too early. Yes they should help around the house but to do all this is a bit much in my eyes.They are independant yes but wow are they growing up too quick?

Something is wrong for a 3 year old to have these thoughts. Do you remember being 3? We are influenced by people around us so she has maybe learnt things.

I am not blaming you atall - I am maybe blaming society but OCD is not generally know to be hereditary - it is a learned behaviour so she must have got it from somewhere.

Nicola

mum2four
02-11-05, 00:48
I have been using CBT basicly on her since was born I just didn;t know it wa till recnetly.

I am alway correncting my kide negative word to more positibe one ai dont tolerate my kids being mean to people or them self and I alway reprase then word and ask them to say it back to me and try to use those words nest time.

Between the age of brith to 3 and half I would cuddle my daughter against her will when she would start her I hate rutine up and I would pin her to me as she was very strong and if she was dangous to the other kids when she was like this and I would say You cant make me hate you ther no way you can make me hate you and she would scream I hate about everything. I would say I love you I will alway love you you stop me from loveing you ypou cant make me go away you can t make disapear You just gona have to acept I love you . between 3 and half 4and half i would still use the pram to settle her in the back yard and go out when she calm down and say I love you are you ready to come back and play with us we really want to play with you And she would start again this could go on for hour's and hour. At 4 and half she started to let us love her but she still rejected positive praise I would sneak around the house to catch her being good and would say That good playing you have noice word's you are so cleaver as doing that ect ect. she would go balistic at me abd I'd in ignore the tantrum till she attact people them removed her from the situation. We started taliking about her nice behaviour in front of her to poeple and not her bad behaviour and she would attack us for talking nice about her and we would ignore her and remover her when she got to agrressive. We did all the positive stuff and ignored all the negative as much as we cvould with a chold that was spo angry.

Can you still tell I didn't do every thing a positive parent could do in a situation so bad that no one care to serious look in to. I know in my heart I did the best I could with I knew and seeked help when I ran out of iidea's only to be truned away time andd time again.

nomorepanic
02-11-05, 00:54
If you have to force a child to love you and cuddle you then maybe she has problems that you can investigate.

Have you taken her to a doctor?

Nicola

mum2four
02-11-05, 00:59
then you come in to mhy house hold and try to get my kids to be kids with out distroying there well being and the house hole you come in to my house holdf a try to teach my kids how to be kids thay DONT PLAY and I have been screamingout for help since thay were babty and poelple keep telling me Go away you kids are fine.

My kidsa hane tantrum about playing that scream tge house down when evayou tryed tp sit down with them I play my son has asperger he has no play skill what so eva till recently no atten stion span to get to sit long enought to get him try to do do some thing.

You come in tp my house hold and give me better way to con teol my kids and to keep the, focused to teache them thing and I will gladly let you try I have been there done that my kid would scream at me no matter wghat I tryed and I am not going to an parent who lets there kids get away with scraming for thay want I will gladly do it for them, if thay wold not scream and shoutat me about doing it. the jobs thay do are job that were the bigest cause's on conflict on our house holds

My kids use to scream for hour about me trying to get them to tell me awhat thay wanted my kids would scream at me cause I gave them the wrong spoon my kidsa would scream at to do it the scream cause I didn't it right the sream cause I stood back to let try it them self dont presume to know why i have the rules I have My kids fall apart if i do thing to much for them My kide run wild if i to much for them.

I'm damed if I do damed if I dont so dont sit there and say WOA hand are these kids or adult's I send them out side when then have to muche energy and I dont feed them juck food.

mum2four
02-11-05, 01:04
i have been trying since she was a bay to get answer's i really have my anxiety issues have incresed due to people telling me I'm fing thing wrong but thay cant tell what to do better and I'm so sorry about saying anything to affend you i really am i'm scream for help for my kidsa but no one is listen to me and it make me sad and angry and confused and frustrated and a eberything you imagin so sorry i really am you gut have so good to me i dont want you to hate melike every one els.

My depression was cause b y people telling me i was a bad mum.

I just need answer's I really do she a wonderfull child whe she not angry and it be hard to make her angry so so so hard.

mum2four
02-11-05, 01:08
I huge part of getting help for my self was to get help for kids and my 6y once and for all. Since going on med's I have about 4 panic attack and lots of anxiety when trying to talk to people about my daughter so i'm trying to keeo calm but it very painfull subject for me but I'm not giving up on finding out what her problem is

Alice
02-11-05, 01:27
hi mum
i was in the chatroom earlier tonight and you were talking about the behaviour of your six year old. I know how concerned you are about her.

When you were in the chatroom you said that aged 1 years old your daughter would scream and strip her clothes off saying she 'couldnt breathe' and you were 'strangling her'.

When i was a year old i doubt if i could put a sentence together let alone understand what the words 'breathe' and 'strangling' meant.

Im curious to know how your daughter knew these words at such a young age if you didnt use medical terms or words such as that. In your above post you said that 'the behaviour she has has not been learnt from people around her'. In this case her understanding of the words must have come from those around her.

If you make a list of all the worrying behaviours that your daughter exhibits as you have shown us, i dont see how a doctor can ignore that, there is obviously something distressing your child, hopefully something which can be treated.

mum2four
02-11-05, 01:58
I going to talk to my dr about OCD in reation to my self and my daughter I just thought see what theoppiniins of people on here first.

I'm on luvox and a benzo and talking about my daughter is still a huge anxiety provoking topic. I dont know how much more I can stress her issues and my partanting skill that i have use to get her to the point she at now. I;m not perfect by no mean's but I have got a diffiucult child which seem to beyond any one understanding I widh i could replay back her life ling behaviour and then maybe people would see what a Im trying to explian. Before a person stood and said that i wont give up trying to teach my down syndrom child people just accepted that the dr were right in saying that down syndrom kids couldn't live normal life. Before OCD people were seen be strange and weird or bad or angry ect. Before asperger's people were seen to be ecentric or odd or weird. My son was seen to be a hyper active rat bag till I pushes and pushed to get the answer and No I have the answer I have his life runong smothly now my son could be a mathamatical wiz with the right direction or a computer wiz. I have a 8 year that is hyper sentsative and clumsy with speach issues's but she placid and ditzy lol in a good way she a very good artist for her age. My 6year is intelagent i have yet to figure out what she is veruy goos at as so far she very good at anger but I know there something inside her that will light up her life and I want to find but her anger os getting in the way satainable reastionships and while right now he behavior may be seen to be to right for her age she jusy needs more disaplin and as you already said i'm to stict on them and I dont want to be like that but I'm not getting answer so for now I can mess with what is working for me. We have familygame and family outing but it is alway interrupted by her anger on some level and It's not because she's spoiled rotten it's only been recent thay we had money to throw around but then never stop me having picnic in the back yard or tea party's but everything is always interrupted by her anger on some level or stubbornness. I sopose it mother like daughter I;m to stubborn to give in to people who say get stricter i can get any more strict she has to have to be the kids she is inside but the job are age aproprete and she get's more help that the other. My biggest rule in my house even with there dad isif ypou can do it your self you should and if you ask nicly I will help but I wont do it for them If you get angry you get no help till ask nicer. That my basic rule That's is not a high expectation. I would be hindering my child development for future relastionship's if i gave in to there demand to DO IT NOW cauase your the mum i respone you have 2 hand and thay are brocken if you need help you ask you dont scream at me get angry at ect. is that really a hight expectiation.

What els am sopose to do. I'm coinfused I thought we as parent's have responabily to teach our kid about life so thay can look after them and life happy heathy live.

I follow a lot of Dr phills parenting advice and for the most part ot works. i no longer feel guilty for teaching my kids life skill if for some reason that fail school thay will at least have life skill and thay are proud of there job's each job started because thay demaded it not me I it worked well I cont go backward now and so sorry it's my job because I dont beleive it is my job thay dont other people job thay do thing for them self to help them learn to make decisions with out argument's and it's working. All punishment in my house fit the crime if thay make a mess while watching tv the tv go off till it's clean. If thay dont put there clothes int the basket it dosn't get wash untill thay do it and we have roster's. Thay have job time at 3:30 min of simple job's thay feed there own aniamls and If I didn't let then make there own meal a fue times aweek thay would feel like I was punishing them. Please dont judge my partanting style I dont judge your. i repect the fact that some parent have kids thay love

mum2four
02-11-05, 02:19
My daughter spent alot of time with adult's and her vocabulary was amazing to say the least. she even said a fue sentance before she was 1 it did a double take and look around and said to my sister and boyfrind did she just say what I thought she said. She said something like 4 word together that made sence it was not just bot bot or mum dad it was four or five word that made a clear understandable sentence. She was able to use worrd right if you said to her at about the age oe 1 and half she was changeing word's to make sence word like you get the bot bot she would say me get bot bot thats just an example other word like I would say that mine can I have please ta for mum she would say your's mum but wouldn't give it to me. i did a lot double takes and looked for confamation that i wasn;t hearing what i wanted to hear. at 3 she had a full convertastion with me about growing up and getting a job and having kid's I seriously use to forget how old she realy was she was tall as well so peole expected more from her and use to have to say hang on she only 3 what do you expect from her. Thay would look at me as if I was stupid.

You realy could have closed you eye's and forgot what age she was has always been articulate. For a 3 year to say I'll stab you in the heart is amazimg and scrary all at the same time. I think she may have heard me one say to my son who had a bad habbit of running with thing in the house i said to him you could fall and that might stab you and then you'd need to go hospital cause nothing els was getting threw to him about hoe dangous play swords were in his hand's he had an obsession with guns and sweord and everything became a gun or sword. I think this was reinfoured by son over active play about killing people with sword's. I tryed to keep everything away from him that he may see as a sword because he was out of control when he got one in his hand. He nologer sow his sister stabing in front of him just him imagin ed enermy that he was trying to kill. My son and my daughter clashe so badly it NOT FUNNY at all.

mum2four
02-11-05, 03:04
Dont get me wrong I relised that in my effort to make my darling baby/child to acept a loving reationship and closeness I proberly aslo ended on creating unaceptable behaviour inn that she learnt that I gave her attanstion for her anger but with a child so angry about loving someone or someone loveing her I had no choice so the last 2 year's I been tackling the attansion seeking behavior from trying to get her to learn that No matter what she did she could'n't make me not love her want the best for her. For tghe last 2 years she has learnt that agressive behaviour wont get her far. But we are still faced with a new chanlenge that has alway been there but seems to have been hiddin behind the angry child she was.

She now has self control over her anger to a point some time's she had shut down to deal with not getting angry. But other time's there seem's to be more to it than just anger and she really is trying she is and the look on her face I came across a disorder last night on the net ait was called passiv agressive personality disorder and it fit's her as well but it also said something about looking simular to OCD and it got me thinking this whole time Sensory defensiveness dose discribe my daught but the word when woild say never fit the type of thing that sensory kid would say about about why thay hated clothes or bath or food. But willow words fit the discription of OCD so well that why I'm now looking at my child's behavioiur in relationship to OCD I'm trying to convince my self she has OCD I'm trying to work IF she fit the discription OCD and I think she dose sure she dosn't have ritual's YET or notisable rituals' but she dose have verbal rutual and a need for plenty of reasurance form us now that she not dieing or that she's not bleeding and real dose do Body cheack's it's very interesting and coinfusion to see a6y do body checks for unjury's. She alway complians about germ's and really dose seem scared of getting hurt or germ's on her. She monitor the poeple around her and tell me every thing tha the other do that is dangous to her from her perspective even if she is not near the person. I have been the go bettween for so many disputes about brandon sweung his arm and he could have hit me. Sure she may be repeating what she is hearing but that dose not explian her fear or her bed wetting when she get scared or the fear she shpwed toward her baby brother the other day when he was trying walk to where a spider was. She was terified I had never seen her so scared no one in her life has ever expressed terror that way before around her. Am i soppose to say Ho well get over it like people did to me Or belieav that her feeling aren't real. Her brain has to be going fast just like mine did for her to beable to talk about the things she talk about and a worrys about. If this is not OCD I do think it already has the potencial to become OCD. If she already monitoring her body for injury she gona monitor her body threw out life till she get so bad like me. If I can get the info I need to help my daughter out she will continue to get worse and she may stop talking about her fear's and start inwardly thinking to the point of screaming thouights like her mum. She is a people pleaser but get's angry is you tell her to just go be a kid. She comfort people if thay need to comforted. She can can be an amzing child and is just begining to smile when we tell her so.

But I'm finding that while she she loving towards to mum and dad and baby bro(most of the time) she is following in her mum footstep's in that she takes word like no or go do what I asked please or dont do that please I'm finding she see it as rejection very easy and can loose her happy mood very quickly. She is almost Manic but not so much now as she was when she was younger. I am finding that her behaviour is more like well I'm gona withdraw my self now before I get angry and make mum sad or something like that. She's tend to take her feelings out on her bro and sis. Yes that is proberly attenseeking behaviour but it not the sort of sttenstion seeking t

in1peace
02-11-05, 07:04
I have to say this, because I've talked with you in chat before. This is not normal childlike behavior. And I do not agree with anyone who is blaming you for it!!
I don't think this is OCD, I think this is a neurological disorder that your daughter has. You have the history of it already with your son and possibly your husband too. I know how frustrating this is to you. You are trying so hard and trying everything. Please know that I believe you are a caring mum. I believe you are trying with everything you've got in you to do what's right for those kids!
I think what you are trying to do is get responses from other people who have children with the same symptoms, reply to you, so that you can have confirmation of what it is you are dealing with. Right?
The tough part is that you are panicking whenever you try to get help for her. This is something you will have to keep trying to do, Mum2four! You have to keep pushing people until they listen to you, but you've got to do it in a calm way.
Here is my suggestion: Write out a script for what you want to tell Dr.s or other health care professionals. That way you won't start to lose your train of thought when you perceive they are not comprehending you and the anger starts to rise. Every argument that they've tossed out at you before, have a rebuttal written down that sounds patient, but firm and CALMLY tell them what is going on.
Another thing I think is VERY important Mum2four is that you let these professionals know up front how extremely difficult it is for you to get help because of your panic attacks. That you are concerned that people are judging you and you want help for you and your daughter, but you can't seem to get it, because your panic rises when people don't understand you.
((((((((hugs))))))))))))
I know that you are really being misunderstood. Just keep trying. But try to learn relaxation techniques and/or yoga so that you can master the art of calming down. Being stressed out makes everything too intense for you to make sense.
Thinking about you and hoping you have answers soon!!!
Love,
Andrea

"Honey, if ya ain't feelin' the bumps in the road, ya ain't goin' nowhere!" (A wise Georgia Granny's take on living life to the fullest! LOL!)

mum2four
02-11-05, 08:36
Thank you for you mesage's.

I was not trying t get angry at anyone I'm sorry again for sounding like I was ungratefull but It been a 6 year battle to get answer's with my anxiety getting in the way as well.

Everything you said in1peace was so true I began to cry with releaf that some one finaly could see the point I was trying to make. I have been hunting for years for answer from dr and hunting on line for 2 year's for answer's and been to many site's and lot's of forum's just to find another mother out there has a child like mine. Both my daughter and my self seem to fit so many discription is just not funny any more it's really not. My mum serched for answer when I was little right up till i left home. My mum had no hope as I kept closly garded secrect of how i was realy feeling inside and what was in my head. I have the knowlage of what I wished for my self and used it for daughter and for the most part it worked but with getting help for my self i new i would never beable to fully heal my daughter. One of drive to get better is to get answer's for my daughter and my self.

I just found the perfect words that might give you an idea of what my daughter has been like. If you've ever known an autistic child and how thay react to touch and smell's noise ect all forms of stimuli then the best way to discribe my daughter is like an extream autistic child with a huge vocabulary and im know that by saying that it's basicly a contradiction. But if my child had not speach and someone saw the behavior thay would have done something for me.

I realy not sure it like my son as my daughter can the most pleasant child at time and kids with PDD like my son with asperger's dont ever have normal happy child behaviour thay alway face the chanlenge of there issuse in a visable way.

I'm leaning more toward something like OCD cause people with OCD (not extream OCD) can put on good act around people people that dont feel will acept there behavior, Condition like OCD dont stop a person form adapting to there surunding's tom there world. There obsessiveness to avoid what ever it is that cause them destress has an addative style or very goo =d avoidence tactic's. PDD condition is a lack of abbilty to addapt information to new situation. OCD people have the oppersite if it not extream and got compleat contol over them. OCD people will often go to extream length to hide ther fear's and obsession till thay no longer can anymore.

Have you been bothered by unpleasant thoughts or images that repeatedly enter your mind, such as:

below is the screaning test from the site on the screanoing test post
Inrelastion to my daugter I have answered the question to give you an idea why I'm now looking toward OCD.

1. Do you have concerns with contamination (dirt, germs, chemicals, radiation) or getting a serious illness such as AIDS?

YES GERMS

2. Are you overconcerned with keeping objects (clothing, groceries, tools) in perfect order or arranged exactly?

NO

3. Do you have mental images of death or other horrible events?

YES MUST HAVE as fue days go mby with out some sort dream or question ect.

4. Do you have personally unacceptable religious or sexual thoughts?
Have you worried a lot about terrible things happening, such as:

5. Do you worry about fire, burglary, or flooding the house?

YES alway scared of going to bed or talking about thing like this.

6. Do you worry about accidentally hitting a pedestrian with your car or letting it roll down the hill?

YES she alway warning people if thay dont leave her alone she will hurt them(she is a kid with little self control but i think she show amazing control these days)

7. Do you worry about spreading an illness (i.e. giving someone AIDS)?

NO

8. Do you worry about losing something valuable?

YES alway getting upset about this sort of thing.

9. Do you worry about harm coming to a loved one because you weren't careful enough?

YES she alway asking for asurance that we are will not die or she ask when I'll get better

mum2four
02-11-05, 11:22
http://termpapers-termpapers.com/dbs/e2/pnl67.shtml

Compulsions are behaviors employed, over and over to try to get rid of the obsessive thoughts by some ritual, repetitive action. These are often carried to considerable extremes. Children with OCD do not announce they have obsessions or compulsions; rather, they throw “tizzy fits.”