PDA

View Full Version : My chest feels so tight!

emh
12-10-09, 18:26
I've suffered with panic attacks for years, and i feel like i can pretty much deal with them now, apart from when i drive. But just recently in the last couple of weeks i've been suffering with a really tight chest. I'm pretty sure it's panic related cos when i'm busy it usually goes. But it's just horrible when i'm sat down in the evening or trying to get to sleep cos it just feels really strange, i'm sure i must of been awake pretty much all night, and that just adds to it.
Has anyone else suffered like this? I feel obsessed about my heat beating, or that it won't! I'm so embarrassed to tell people that i'm feeling like this that i just kinda get on with it, but inside i feel a complete wreck and consumed by this terrible feeling.

nomorepanic
12-10-09, 18:27
Hi emh

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Veronica H
12-10-09, 18:53
:welcome:Emh. Glad you have found us.There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes;SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES ISBN 0-7225-3155-9.This is available from the NMP shop. Dr Weekes was a fellow sufferer who really understood this illness. She took the mystery out of it, and devised a simple programme for recovery. I can't recommend this enough. This will get better.

Veronica

Maj
12-10-09, 20:10
Hi,

I had the chest tightness recently because I was feeling anxious again. After a while it passed. You will always get enough breath so please relax from that point of view. Concentrate on some tummy breaths and eventually you'll relax a bit. Lots of people on here will have had the same symptoms as you and you'll get lot of support and advice. Also you can mention it to your doctor and sometime they will give you a wee short course of diazepam which also helps.
Take care
Myra :)

sarah jayne
12-10-09, 21:32
I always get chest pain when im anxious which nearly always makes me have a panic attack. Your not on your own x

emh
13-10-09, 10:35
Thank you everyone for your kind words, it has made me feel better to know i'm not the only one to experience the tight chest feeling. I've booked a docs appointment for thurs so i'm going to explain everything to him. I'm hoping to feel much better after that.
I had a terrible night, the tightenings were pretty much all night and made it really hard to sleep, but i am feeling better this morning (but very tired!). I haven't had many tightenings today and hoping if i keep myself occupied they'll stay at bay.
I do feel that if i think more positively they aren't as bad, so here's to happy thoughts!!:)

sarah jayne
13-10-09, 10:38
Im glad your feeling a bit better today x