PDA

View Full Version : Candee's Cognitive Behavioual Therapy Diary

candee86
12-10-09, 18:42
Hello All,

Well this is my first thread and thought I would do something that will hopefully help people :)

I heard today that my first CBT appointment is next Wednesday 21st October at 4pm =) so I thought it would be a good idea to share my experience with you all..to show people what happens in CBT... see if any advice I was given could help any of you!

Just to let you know a little about me to start off with..I am 23 and have had on and off panic disorder and anxiety and agoraphobia since I was 17 so around 6 years. I had it really bad before where I couldnt leave my house and spent years in my room but then I went to CBT..initially with the help of my mum driving me and eventually got a lot better...able to live a normal life except the odd phobias...planes...lifts etc but in the past 2 months my anxiety and panic has got worse and found myself having a lot of time off work so I went back to the doctor...got put on the CBT waiting list and finally my appointment is here!

So, this will be my CBT diary for you all to read and I really hope that you can get some help from it or if you werent sure if CBT would work or be right for you, you will get some more insight into it from someone who is actually going through it!

Well hope you all are well and see you again here on the 21st :)

Much love and hugs,
Candy xxx

Tricky
12-10-09, 19:01
I think this is a great post and really look forward to following your progress!:)
Tel xxx

MOJO
12-10-09, 19:23
Really good idea Candee. I will look forward to following your experiences.
Judy.x

candee86
21-10-09, 08:23
Well first CBT session is today at 4pm! Have been looking forward to this day for weeks but now it is here I am feeling really anxious, not about the actual session but getting there and back :S

Already rang my mum to see if she will come with me for the first one so fingers crossed she will..if not I will need to struggle on and get there because I cant miss this because it could be the first day of the rest of my life!

Well, I will be back here to update you all on the first session and hopefully you will be able to get useful tips to help you too :)

Hugs to all,
Candy xx

MOJO
21-10-09, 10:06
Good luck Candy! I hope all goes well for you. I will check back tonight to see how you got on.
Judy.x:hugs:

candee86
21-10-09, 17:41
Hello All,

Well not good news unfortunately...it wasn't a CBT session, it was just a screening to check what the best course of action will be for me and my problems..the good news is that the conclusion was that CBT is the correct course of action for me and will have my first appointment in a week or two.

So I will give you an overview of the screening as apparently they have to do them now because there are so many people being refered and now you can refer yourself too!

First she asked me about my whole experience with anxiety and panic, when it started and what happened and what I have done since. Then she asked about my symptoms when I have panic attacks and the current situation with my panic.

I was then asked to fill out a form about anxiety and depression so they can see what you have...I only have anxiety not depression. She then asks me questions from a sheet which finds out if you have any sort of P.T.S.D or psychosis etc which again I dont have any of.

She then spoke about the fact that she recommended Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and that it will be a structured programme where I will go once a week and have homework to do and will have tasks set that I need to face etc.

So I suppose good news that I only have to wait 1-2 weeks for an appointment and it will also be closer to my house but the lady I saw today was lovely so wish it was with her but it might not be but we shall see!

I will update you again when I know when my appointment is.

Let me know if you want anymore detail about any part of the screening to help you :)

Thanks
Candy xxx

MOJO
21-10-09, 20:04
Glad you got on ok Candy. It's not long to wait for your appointment anyway and at least you know it is still going to be CBT you get. Good that they've ruled out depression and other problems too.
Judy.x

lauras
21-10-09, 21:07
Hi candee
I have my first session tomorrow at 4.30, and i am terrified!
I am scared it will make me feel worse.
I am also 23 and suffer with panic disorder and GAD have done for 8 years just been through my worst experience and want to have my life back.
So please do let me know how it goes and i will give you my opion tomorrow. x

candee86
22-10-09, 08:28
Yeah Laura let me know how you get on...I would really like to know...seems like our situations are very similar and we're the same age hehe :)
Make sure you keep in touch x

panictyme
22-10-09, 15:06
Im pleased to announce candy is cured, I cured her.

How? you may ask.

Much love!:shades:

Marti36
22-10-09, 16:08
I have a face to face meeting tomorrow morning at 9am to distinguish which course of therapy is best suited to me.

Ive got my questionnaire all filled out,the nerves are starting to kick in now.

candee86
22-10-09, 21:04
Oh no it is completely fine...I was the same beforehand but after I felt so much better just that things were getting started! You will be happy afterwards just remember that! :) If you have similar problems to me then you will probably get CBT too :) which helped me sooo much in the past!

Let me know how you get on tomorrow :) What course of action they gave you

Candy xx

Marti36
23-10-09, 10:02
Just back and theyve offered me CBT and will be put on the waiting list (no idea how big it is) but one thing that i was uneasy with was that she said the sessions would be video taped.

candee86
23-10-09, 12:52
Really?? The didnt say anything like that to me and when I had CBT before they definitely werent videotaped! Surely its within your right to refuse this? They said the waiting list was 1-2 weeks for me in Nottingham. Glad you've got the CBT though x

candee86
18-11-09, 10:28
Right well...finally got an appointment!! Today at 2pm with a lady called Jo though it is really far away so have got to get a lift there and back which is a pain so going to try and get it moved to closer so I can get myself there and back!

So, I will update everyone tonight on how it goes and if there were any useful tips :D

xxxxx

Marti36
18-11-09, 10:33
Good luck,hope it goes well.

MOJO
20-11-09, 10:41
How did you get on Candee?
Judy.x