PDA

View Full Version : Missed heart beats etc

Chrismascray
13-10-09, 11:05
Hi, been a long time since I was here, last time it was definatley Colon cancer, it was IBS, But now I have those dreaded missed heart beats again. I have had these on and off for about 20 years, I thought they had gone away but have returned. Memory plays tricks but I am sure I havent had them for quite so long, over two weeks now on and off, although my lovely wife assures me I have had them over a length of time. Not been to the Doc yet, but over the last 20 years I have been so many times, if I had a pound for every visit I could retire. Every time I have been I have had a blood pressure check, results? Fine, in fact VERY good. I also, some 12 years ago, had the monitor and a stress test and ultrasound, I think my Doc then sent me to re assure me, again all was fine. I dont think this missed heart beat is anything I have not had before. There is an added thing though, but again is it added or has my memory blocked it out, any way, when I work hard, lifting or whatever my heart can race really fast, even and strong but racing, I get no pain in my chest and not really out of puff, well no more than I should be for the work I have been doing, rest for a minute or so and it comes down again, BUT this is when it can also start missing beats again, it does happen at other times but I am more tuned in at these times, so much so that I am avoiding and exertion, in case!!. Speaking with my Wife who is so wonderful, she assures me the missed heart beats have gone on for a while in the past and a racing heart has also happened to me. My fear is this, what if ? and I know you know what I mean. I really do not want to see the Doctor and the reason is, I have read about this and have always been OK as when my heart raced it came down normally, I also seem to remember that if it came down irregular then THAT is a problem, you see my point, or have I not read that at all and have made it up?. It is strange and I do not like it, the Doc I see is wonderful and every time I see her, it was a he but have changed to a her since a recent move, they always say all is fine and I skip out of the Docs, even if it is still missing beats, BUT I am convinced that because it races and then misses as it comes down THAT is a major worry and to be honest I am too scared to see the Doc because the last thing, other than death, I want is tests, they upset me , until I get the all clear, almost as much as the symptoms, what will they find? how bad is it? and also even 12 years ago I couldnt complete the stress test because I am not fit enough so heaven knows what it would do now, can anyone at the least tell me I am not right about the beating issues as it comes back down, and PLEASE The last thing I need is , I WOULD SEE A DOCTOR, THIS SOUNDS BAD...............Thanks as usual.

Chrismascray
13-10-09, 16:13
Ok so now I am panicking, 18 people have read my post and no one has replied, I am now thinking iTS IS SERIOUS and no one wants to tell me......

Maj
13-10-09, 16:31
Hi,

I too suffer from these, but not so much now because I'm less scared of them - but they do still happen! I think because there's been a gap in when you last took them then it is advisable to see your doctor to have a simple e.c.g. where the result if available IMMEDIATELY! You shouldn't have to wait for the result. I'd do the same myself if I hadn't had them for a long while - especially as I'm getin on a bit!! Sounds like they are benign ectopic beats and loads of us have them. I think when we are prone to ectopics they always tend to appear when we are anxious about something. They always lurk in the background!! If you stop being afraid and carry on with what you were doing they do tend to go. Get them checked out again and then relax.
Regards
Myra:)

Maj
13-10-09, 16:32
p.s. and exercise helps to abolish them!

shaz01
13-10-09, 22:02
Hi, yea mines come and go, I have also suffered for many many years, some times they are bad and sometimes they go away for long periods of time, if you are worried go and see your doc who will reassure you x

Chrismascray
20-10-09, 10:04
As some people have been kind enough to take the time to answer, I thought it fair to let you know what has happened, well last Wednesday, I lost it, I had a bath and my heart started to miss beats A LOT, Freaked me out completly, I live some way from A&E About 15 miles but I decided I was going, I rang my Doctors first as they are nearer butt had decided if they cant see me I am going to A&E, They took my call and a Doctor I hadn't seen rang back, in my panic I told him what was going on, that it had been going on for a while, and that I was losing it, " come and see me" he said, he told me he would 'fit me in', you know usually it takes a week or so to see a Doctor, so I was happy and worried, WHY? did he want to see me NOW, . I went and sat waiting, panic slowly going, but still it was big enough I couldnt sit I had to walk around the surgery, at last my name came up, I walked into a new Doctor, I sat and told him all I could think of, he sat and nodded, took my blood pressure, a little high, " only to be expected and certainly nothing to cause concern" was his reply, took my pulse listened to my heart and then..........................." you are fine, there is nothing wrong" was his reply to my concerns, I asked if he thought I should go for tests, he said no reason he copuld see, I asked if this was because of my anxiety problem, he replied it had nothing to do with my history and he looked at me putting all the other visits I have made over the years aside, to him, as he said, he looked at me as if this was the first time, still not totally convinced he then sat and drew a diaghram of a heart and what was happening, he asked if I understood, I said yes, I didnt BUT I asked, " am I alright?", 2 Can I go back and tell my Wife I have wasted your time?" He replied I was fine, he also said I could vist any time and I was NOT a time waster.
I sat in the car, this was after asking another three times if I was OK, and I breathed, a deep deep breath, the feeling was great, then 'hang on' he was quick, is he right, the doubts started then a little voice, 'same symptoms over 20 years, at the least 6 Doctors, different ones seen, all same thing all not worried no Doctor has shown any concern, a couple of the Doctors have seen me an awful lot of times and again no worries, I relaxed again, all these years all these Doctors, The tests etc etc , and here I am sat in my car gouing home to my lovely Family.
I just wanted you all to know , although it is still there, it is 'fine' health wise, also, it helped me to look back as well as forward to see how long, how many Doctors, how many times all this has happened and I am fine, perhaps sometimes looking back helps us move forward.

daisymaisy
20-10-09, 20:50
Hi

Glad you're feeling better. I've been worried about something similar for the last couple of weeks but finally got it sorted in my head. I did read somewhere that when you have health anxiety asking people for reassurance is the worst thing you can do because it feeds the anxiety and you need to learn to get reassurance from yourself (easier said than done I know). Saw this on www.glasgowsteps.com (http://www.glasgowsteps.com) and found all their info on health anxiety really helpful.

All the best for the future - and keep calm! :yesyes: