PDA

View Full Version : Used to anxiety /Worry to protect you ???

Panic33
13-10-09, 16:01
Odd one this, in the last couple of days my anxiety has died down a fair bit, but now where I was worrying about worrying and that brought on the anxiety (horrid cycle) - I'm strangely bothered I'm not worrying - as if, if I worry about it somehow protects me from what I'm bothered about. I know this sounds very crazy, but have others experienced this or do we just get so used to constant anxiety when it dies down abit we need time to adjust???

Chrismascray
13-10-09, 17:04
That does SO sound like me, I am so used to worrying that on the few occasions it goes away I am like you, then I begin to worry I have forgotten to worry and sometimes I feel safe again when I find something to worry about, that said I am worried at the moment about missed heart beats and I wish that would go away, but I think I would find something else.

Panic33
13-10-09, 21:12
That does SO sound like me, I am so used to worrying that on the few occasions it goes away I am like you, then I begin to worry I have forgotten to worry and sometimes I feel safe again when I find something to worry about, that said I am worried at the moment about missed heart beats and I wish that would go away, but I think I would find something else.

Crazy aint it. Have times when just get on and don't think of anything (back to normal), then suddenly say to myself hey Ive not worried for an hour or so... next thing, asking myself should I be worried as if the worry is going to help. Damn anxiety lol

hello_mrzebra
13-10-09, 21:43
For me, worry and anxiety about irrational things like non-existent health issues seem to function as outlets for my anxieties about more pressing things that are maybe more realistic, like "what am I doing with my life, am I truly happy, are there changes I want to make that are too scary to really think about?" When I'm not worrying about irrational things, there's nothing to keep me from dealing with the big, life-altering decisions I've been trying to avoid--so I often will quickly find some other random symptom to start worrying about instead of what's REALLY going on...

daisymaisy
13-10-09, 21:48
Yes I feel sometimes that if I'm worrying it somehow protects me - like if I'm not worrying I'm not alert for any unforeseen problems! lol. When I'm feeling rational I know that is really silly but when I'm anxious can't seem to get past the worrying stage.:wacko:
Daisy

Humly
14-10-09, 09:54
A few years ago I was thinking about why I was getting in such a state about things and came to the conclusion that I somehow needed to worry about something. I often felt uneasy if I wasnt worried, as if I was just waiting for something bad to happen. So I would "attach" that worry to something, usually health issues and sometimes other things as well, and this somehow made me feel better. Although it made me feel awful as well and I hated it.

I'm not as bad these days but lately have had a bit of a relapse.

Take care all.

den68
14-10-09, 14:30
its strange almost like an addiction. I have been worrying so long about everything and anything if i realise i havnt for say an hour i start worrying about not worrying. Its a viscious circle

Panic33
14-10-09, 16:10
its strange almost like an addiction. I have been worrying so long about everything and anything if i realise i havnt for say an hour i start worrying about not worrying. Its a viscious circle

Thats what Im like, but must admit the worrying about not worrying is so much better than the anxiety I was having. :)