PDA

View Full Version : newbie

johnny29
13-10-09, 19:01
hi im new here so im a little nervous anyhow here goes ive suffered from panic attacks or anxiety for about 10 years now im not even sure witch is witch or what im actually suffering from. my 1st recollection was when i was around 18-19 i suddenly got a sensation that i couldnt swallow like my throat had frozen up or something its the hardest sensation to explain this went on for months till i went to see my doctor who wasnt very sympathetic at all telling me it was all in my head so i ended up paying private cameras down the throat up the nose everything convinced i had serious illness anyway the most they found was a broken vocal chord my doctor eventually gave me anxiety tablets but they didnt really do much so ive basically been living with this for 10 years at one time it got me really really depressed very dark feelings never contemplated suicide or anything just really really really down...i still suffer with the throat it just suddenly feels like im not going to be able to swallow and i'll grab something or like jump up if im led down its hard to explain i also have the aches and pains in my chest and lungs its a frightening experience i just wonder if anyone feels this way its usually 10 times worse if ive a hangover and 100 times worse if i have to fly anywere is there anyway to beat it or has anyone suffered from it and overcome it??? also when im dropping of to sleep i'll jump out of my sleep feeling like ive stopped breathing thats a horrible feeling anyone else had this?? :blush:

mandyclare
13-10-09, 19:05
Hi, im new on here today too but I recognise all of these symptoms to a degree. I've had an anxiety disorder for 10 years as well and did manage to get rid of it for a while but it seems to be back. Alchohol DEFINATELY makes anxiety worse so that would explain your hangover mornings being particularly bad. I've given up on flying sadly but hopefully one day. Seems like a great site.. Mand

bottleblond
13-10-09, 19:05
Hi Johnny

Welcome along to NMP!

I will move this post to the 'Introduction' section near the tope of the forum where you will recieve more suitable replies.

Lisa

johnny29
13-10-09, 19:14
thankyou lol only realised i was in the wrong place when i tried to check my post :)

AliBlack
13-10-09, 21:35
Hi, welcome to the forum :)
I've had problems with swallowing since I was 11 (I'm 43 now), I was in a hotel restaurant with my family when I suddenly felt self conscious and my throat was tense and I couldn't eat, I had to leave the room, for the rest of the holiday I worried about swallowing and about eating and was worried food would stick in my throat, from then on I was unable to eat with my family and swallowing has been a problem ever since, if I'm the slightest bit tense then I become aware of my swallowing, I even feel I can't swallow if anyone is looking at me! I have social phobia so am anxious when looked at.
I also fear choking.
I hold onto things sometimes if I think I can't swallow and I'll sit up in bed sometimes so I can swallow properly.
I still find eating in public hard but a therapist is helping me with this, she used to have the exact problem, she said try to imagine your throat as loose like an elastic band :D
The only reason it feels like it's closing up is tension so try relaxation exercises which relax the throat.
The problem is worse the more we fixate on it!

hi im new here so im a little nervous anyhow here goes ive suffered from panic attacks or anxiety for about 10 years now im not even sure witch is witch or what im actually suffering from. my 1st recollection was when i was around 18-19 i suddenly got a sensation that i couldnt swallow like my throat had frozen up or something its the hardest sensation to explain this went on for months till i went to see my doctor who wasnt very sympathetic at all telling me it was all in my head so i ended up paying private cameras down the throat up the nose everything convinced i had serious illness anyway the most they found was a broken vocal chord my doctor eventually gave me anxiety tablets but they didnt really do much so ive basically been living with this for 10 years at one time it got me really really depressed very dark feelings never contemplated suicide or anything just really really really down...i still suffer with the throat it just suddenly feels like im not going to be able to swallow and i'll grab something or like jump up if im led down its hard to explain i also have the aches and pains in my chest and lungs its a frightening experience i just wonder if anyone feels this way its usually 10 times worse if ive a hangover and 100 times worse if i have to fly anywere is there anyway to beat it or has anyone suffered from it and overcome it??? also when im dropping of to sleep i'll jump out of my sleep feeling like ive stopped breathing thats a horrible feeling anyone else had this?? :blush:

johnny29
14-10-09, 18:00
thankyou very much over the last year or so ive learnt how to cope with the choking sensation by just relaxing and breathing easy and taking a step back i can go 3 or 4 days without an attack but if i take one in the day its the getting to sleep thats the problem but slowly im managing to overcome that to i really hope your therapist helps and i'll be looking out to see how your getting on in the future :)

TimD
14-10-09, 20:49
Hi johnny,

Thanks for your post, it comforts me to hear that there was others who has been in the same situation as me and had all the same symptoms.
Ive occasionaly had the feeling when im going to sleep that ive stopped breathing. I quickly sit up and it feels like i have to force myself to breathe.

Sleeping is one of my big problems, i worry so much im usually up to 4 in the morning :\

Wierd..i just had the feeling of not being able to swallow even tho ive never had this :S very odd :\

anyway hope all goes well and keep us updated :)

stevewhu
15-10-09, 23:00
Hi Johnny ,

everything you said is what i have. I also wake up in the night and jump up like im gonna stop beathing or something. Mine also started when i was eating and my throat just locked up and i couldnt swallow anything. Ive suffered from this for nearly 3 years now and its ruining my life. Sometimes i cant eat my food and i panic and feel like im going to choke and stop breathing but ive been told by people that its all in my head and im not going to stop breathing, my heart races and it feels like im going to have a heart attack.

Your not on your own.

all the best.