PDA

View Full Version : Amitriptyline

cricketjar
13-10-09, 19:05
I have been prescribed 10mg of amitriptyline for pain relief as i have really bad back and neck pain. I have just been reading old threads on this and alot of people say about the side affects like ectopic beats which i get every now and then anyway, fast heart beat, really dry mouth and constipation. It scares me when i read about all the side affects and my anxiety goes into overdrive when i look at the leaflet that comes with them. I havent actually been to the chemist to buy them yet. My GP has prescribed a months worth and asked me back in about 3 weeks to see me while im on them. I guess im just scared of taking them now but want the pain to ease. Can anyone offer some reassuring words about them? Who has been on this drug? I know it is used in much higher dose for depression but who else has just used it for pain? Any help would be appreciated.

James

Luci-loo
13-10-09, 21:00
My OH took it for pain and felt really woozy and stopped taking them which annoyed me as the side effects from his curent codeine addiction are far far worse. He is often constipated and has a dry mouth and suffers horrible headaches all from codeine but he is too set in his ways to try anything else.

I'd look at the side effects of your painkillers that you currently take as you may find the list as alarming as the amitriptyline ones. Secondly if the do work (and they do for many many people) the benefits would far outweigh the slight risk of side effects. Thirdly because the does is so low it quite unlikely you will get as many side effects as someone on a higher dose. Hope that helps.

Vanilla Sky
13-10-09, 22:13
I got Amitriptyline for neck and shoulder pain, My anxiety was really high at the time and the doctor told me to go back to see her the following week about what we were going to do about that. Anyway , literally the very next day after having one amirtrityline ( 10mg ) , I found i wasn't so anxious and it continued in to the next day and the next. When i went back to see the doctor the following week i told her that i was feeling better, she said that didn't surprise her because they do help anxiety. So i continued to take it and it helped both the neck pain and the anxiety. I had no side effects ( 10mg is a small dose ) only a little bit of a dry mouth in the morning only, that was it . I eventually came of them , I do believe it gave me a " breather " from the anxiety and gave me time to recover . I am now of them , I still have my moments with anxiety but nothing like it was before . That was my experience with them and i had a kind of pill phobia at the time but i was in so much pain i had to do something, Best thing i ever did and like i said 10mg is not a high dose , the side effects are really aimed at long term on a much higher dose . You should give them and try , see what happens .... you may even be surprised ..... Good luck love Paige x

Danath
13-10-09, 22:19
10mg Is a very low dose, I took them for sleep problems at 50mg and thats the minimum therapeutic dose for depression too as far as I know.

Personally I loved 'em the side effects weren't a problem for me at all, I don't think you'll have anytrouble with them specially at 10mg

I'm not a medical professional but thats my experience with them and it was positive.

hope this helps,

Dan

cricketjar
14-10-09, 17:52
Thanks for all your replies guys i really appreciate it. I think i will give them a go its only for a month. Hopefully they will sort my anxiety for a bit too. Does anyone know if you can drink on them? Im usually very causcious while on meds with drink but i have a stag do early november and dont want to miss out on all the fun. Thanks again guys

James

sarah jayne
14-10-09, 18:12
Hi, i was on amitryptiline for 2 years due to neck, back and chest pain and they helped me. I started on 10mg but ended up on 50mg. I always took them at bedtime as they helped me sleep. At first they gave me a dry mouth but that was the only side effect i had. I came off them 2 weeks ago due to getting bad headaches and not knowing what was causing them. I would definately give them a try x

NatalieB
14-10-09, 18:41
hi. I have been taking 20mg of amitriptyline for three weeks now for tension headaches. I have noticed however that since the feeling of pressure has gone, a feeling of stiffness has occured in my neck and head and I sometimes have a dry mouth and feel the need to constanly swallow. Has anyone else experienced any of this ? I had a couple of glasses of wine one night and I was ok but another night i had a few different drinks and was violently sick the next morning so I wouldn't recommend it really. Thanks, Natalie :)

trolleydolly
14-10-09, 21:12
hi ive been on 50mg amitriptyline for the past 14 years
and never had any problems apart from a dry mouth when i first started them but i wouldnt drink alcohol with them yet wait till youve been on them a while
if im having a drink i dont take a tablet that night

cricketjar
14-10-09, 22:27
Hi Guys thank you for the replies. I think i will give them a go because i am in pain. I think i will just miss taking them over the stag weekend but i am seeing the doctor before i go so i will check with him. I will let you know how im getting on with them once i start them. Thanks again

James:D

Danath
15-10-09, 02:21
I've had a few brandies while on amytriptilene and a mate of mine is on 75mg a night and drinks like a fish every single night, don't get me wrong though, he's not exactly the pinnacle of good health, might give you an extra bad hangover the next day.

I reckon youd be ok with a few beers but I personally would avoid my dose if i went home wrecked.

up to you really matey, might be an idea jsut to stay off the sauce until you finish your course.

hope this helps.

Dan

cricketjar
24-10-09, 14:19
I have been on them since monday now when should i notice pain or my anxiety getting better? feeling quite low today cos they just dont seem to be helping the pain yet. is this normal?

James

outlaw
24-10-09, 16:03
this is an antidepressant but a lot of doctors use it because it makes you sleep and has a calming effect

Marti36
24-10-09, 16:29
Anyone put weight on whilst taking this?

Vanilla Sky
24-10-09, 22:17
You are allowed to go up to 20mg if the pain is still there, but check with your doctor. Marti , I never experienced any weight gain

cricketjar
25-10-09, 13:15
Thanks guys i guess i will just have to wait for it to relieve the pain. I do get very tired on it and get a dry mouth.

loulabella
26-10-09, 18:21
hi. I have been taking 20mg of amitriptyline for three weeks now for tension headaches. I have noticed however that since the feeling of pressure has gone, a feeling of stiffness has occured in my neck and head and I sometimes have a dry mouth and feel the need to constanly swallow. Has anyone else experienced any of this ? I had a couple of glasses of wine one night and I was ok but another night i had a few different drinks and was violently sick the next morning so I wouldn't recommend it really. Thanks, Natalie :)

Hi Natalie, I have just been given amitriptyline for headaches and wondered how long it took before the feeling of pressure went? The stiffness you talk of souunds like tension. Try a heat wrap, a long hot soak in a lavenda bath and some forehead....

jackreacher64
01-11-09, 21:54
i wos prescribed amitriptyline 25mg a day for my prostate pain. severe in my case. however i started to take 5 times this dose daily for anxiety rather than my pain. this misuse of the drug along with co codamol with codine caused more harm than good, added to this i started to add some alcohol as short term remedy. This addiction to painkillers and amitriptyline added to alcohol wasnt the answer. So now for anxiety iam prescribed a half beta blocker propanalol. reference being breathless, all i know is i noticed this only because of my weight, found i had sleep apnoia, lost 10 stone past year which has helped, always best to find a friendly GP who will listen and advise accordingly. but my god isnt anxiety a terrible feeling guys. kind regards

loulabella
02-11-09, 21:36
i wos prescribed amitriptyline 25mg a day for my prostate pain. severe in my case. however i started to take 5 times this dose daily for anxiety rather than my pain. this misuse of the drug along with co codamol with codine caused more harm than good, added to this i started to add some alcohol as short term remedy. This addiction to painkillers and amitriptyline added to alcohol wasnt the answer. So now for anxiety iam prescribed a half beta blocker propanalol. reference being breathless, all i know is i noticed this only because of my weight, found i had sleep apnoia, lost 10 stone past year which has helped, always best to find a friendly GP who will listen and advise accordingly. but my god isnt anxiety a terrible feeling guys. kind regards

10 stone - AMAZING - well done you! :) :yesyes:

tylerose1
10-11-12, 16:08
I have been prescribed 10mg of amitriptyline for pain relief as i have really bad back and neck pain. I have just been reading old threads on this and alot of people say about the side affects like ectopic beats which i get every now and then anyway, fast heart beat, really dry mouth and constipation. It scares me when i read about all the side affects and my anxiety goes into overdrive when i look at the leaflet that comes with them. I havent actually been to the chemist to buy them yet. My GP has prescribed a months worth and asked me back in about 3 weeks to see me while im on them. I guess im just scared of taking them now but want the pain to ease. Can anyone offer some reassuring words about them? Who has been on this drug? I know it is used in much higher dose for depression but who else has just used it for pain? Any help would be appreciated.

James
hi james i have just started taking them and i am 2 weeks in just uped from 10mg to 20mg in the second week feelin great the pain almost gone , i am like you funny taking tablets, experienced a bit of a dry mouth and a bit dizzy but take them 2 hours before bed and with in 2 weeks all side affects have now gone along with the pain great hang on in there is my advice to anyone on amitriptolene

fozzy is crying
10-11-12, 16:50
I had it prescribed but not for pain many years ago. Its effectiveness after six months was absolutely zero so I was taken off it as a waste of time.

Coming off it was horrendous and I was very ill with daily visits by my GP or two weeks to my home to deal with the withdrawal problems. My GP was an absolute Saint and still is.

Gordon

Trapped
10-11-12, 18:06
I was put on them for TMJ, I started at 10mg, they do help with pain and they do calm you a bit. Until you get used to them you may feel a bit dopey next morning, take them earlier if you can. I really rate them to be honest, but I am on 20mg now. Every now and then I go down to 10mg and take a sedating antihistamine to calm me and get me off to sleep. That way I keep 20mg effective.

karenp
14-11-16, 15:56
I may dropdown to just 10mg for a while as the only side effects I have had jumping straight to 20mg are headaches (gone now) but heightened anxiety, the one thing I am trying to get rid of and what all antidepressants cause me. So now I am maybe thinking I need to slow down to a real pathetic dose but have got to day 6 so it seems a shame if I only have one more week of this horrible nervousness. I had a bit of ringing in my ears too last night but without fail all these drugs make my anxiety a lot worse. I might try to ride it out and just see how I feel this time next week, I've not had any terrible panic attacks of anything just that annoying tingly nervousness that's made me a LITTLE weepy. I am seeing my doctor tomorrow so will ask his advise. He is giving me one Lorazepam a day but might ask for two next week, I need to get on an AD but they make me sky high for weeks, then I can go get help tapering off the benzos. I have done it on my own in the past but over the last5 years have been on Lorazepam more than not.