PDA

View Full Version : On prop. for a week now - questions

catfish
14-10-09, 18:40
I have been taking propranolol for a week now and I am on 160mg per day (which seems to be more than anybody else I've read about).

I was prescribed propranolol because of anxiety and panic attacks. The first few days on it were ok but then I had an awful day where I felt like I was constantly trying to prevent a panic attack and kept feeling as though I was about to faint at any point.

I then had another couple of day which were ok but today I have felt awful again. I couldn't even walk into a shop.

I don't know if what I'm feeling is the prop. or my anxiety...? I am willing to stay with it if it is going to start helping soon - how long does it normally take? And will the dizziness, feeling faint and feeling sick go as well? Has anyone actually ever fainted or been sick when taking prop.?

I am going to start having job interviews soon and am worried that I wont be able to cope with it.

Also, does my dose sound unusually high to anyone else?

Thanks.

Joanna

daza.theman
16-10-09, 01:10
i have had panick atacks for the last 20 years or so, and only went to doctors today about it , i have been hiding most of my life indoors, i couldent go shops or anything with out anyone being with me, cause i no i would shout out loud or faint or well i dont no , my doc has prescribed me 40 mg 3 times a day, i only had one so far and it made me feel so spaced out!! is this normal? anyway , its good to talk to people with the same thing as me as i thought i was just a freak.

LynnS
27-10-09, 11:40
Can anyone tell me if they are on propanolol for headaches?does it work?
Has anyone experienced insomnia taking them?grateful for input,LynnS

LynnS
27-10-09, 11:44
u r no way a freak,millions like you,Citalopram also good (for my panic attacks anyhow)LynnS

LynnS
27-10-09, 11:49
seems a high dose did you ask GP why?the doses go from 40 to 320mg a day.it is a drug quickly absorbed and the only side effect i have noticed so far was insomnia,anyone had that?

TSJ2004
27-10-09, 18:46
Hi ladies I have been on propranolol since I was 21 (im almost 30 now). They were originally prescribed for a racing heart which doctors at the time thought was a side effect to thyroid meds i was on at the time. However, they swiftly noted the heart thing was infact panic attacks and as i suffered severe migraines too he decided they should remain a long term prescription. I was on quite a high doseage at first, but they were causing my blood pressure to drop and so i was constantly lightheaded and dizzy everytime i stood up from sitting or laying down.

I am now on 10mg 3 times a day, mainly for keeping the migraines at bay. I do think i will be increasing my dose again though as my panic attacks have returned. I do however, believe you should stick with the drug if you can because it does help anxiety when the doseage is right (it was all trial and error with me) and it have less horrific side effects then most of the other PA drugs :)

Desprate Dan
27-10-09, 21:42
Does any of you take Prop and Citalopram together i have just had my meds increased and now take 80mg slow release prop and 40mg Citalopram, no bad side effects as yet....

Dan

Desprate Dan
28-10-09, 05:54
Does any of you take Prop and Citalopram together i have just had my meds increased and now take 80mg slow release prop and 40mg Citalopram, no bad side effects as yet....

Dan

Until this morning that is when i have just woken with Anxiety like symptoms and a pounding heart and pins and needles in my arms.... I hope its just my body getting use to the increased medication...:ohmy:

DAN