PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy and Health Anxiety

NervousNellie
14-10-09, 20:59
Has anybody ever dealt with Health Anxiety during pregnancy? If you have, I'd love to hear from you. I just found out today that I'm pregnant and I'd love to be excited but my fears are getting in the way of what should be a happy time. I'm always worried that I have a heart problem because of my panic attacks and now I've been experiencing palpitations. I was already evaluated by a cardiologist, my GP and was in the hospital once for a panic attack - all of them said my heart was fine, but the doc in the hospital told me to knock it off before I cause myself to have a heart attack!! Of course, this is what I focus on, not the part where 3 doctors said I was fine. I don't know how I'm going to get through this without worrying about dying all of the time. I've already had 2 children (they are now 6 and 4) without any problems or concerns about my heart, but they were born before I developed anxiety and panic. This will be my 3rd c-section and I'm terrified about that too! I worry that my heart will race and blood pressure will increase and my heart will explode while I'm on the table!! Somebody please help!!!!

IJJ
15-10-09, 10:35
Just a quick one to say that I have a 2 year old and suffered from HA all the way through her pregnancy. I am now 9 weeks pregnant and am in a much better place than I was the first time I was pregnant however I have got in touch with my CPN to arrange a meeting as I know pregnancy is a high time of anxiety health wise for me too so I just want to get some back up in place just in case! I suffered from palpitations whenI was pregnant as well and ended up wearing a heart monitor for 24 hours to check my heart - surprise surprise all ended up being normal but I was convinced I was suffering serious heart problems!! Have you told your midwife about your HA - mine was a huge support when I told her.

NervousNellie
15-10-09, 15:03
Hi IJJ - Thank you for responding! My first visit with my doctor will be on November 5th. I have already discussed all of my concerns with him earlier this year when I had a chemical pregnancy. He gave me "permission" to officially start trying, because he believes that I am perfectly healthy. He was very supportive and told me that he can help me through it and he believes that I will not have any complications, but said I worry too much! I began having palpitations again, which I'm guessing is due to my anxiety because this pregnancy was a shock. I already wore a 24 hour monitor, had an echo, bloodwork, was on a cardiac monitor at the hospital for 5 hours (for a panic attack) and all was normal. The only fear is that one out of 5 of my EKG's showed an abnormality, but that may have been human error because the lead was not attached to my skin. The doctor at the hospital was very rude and told me that the ekg showed my heart was not getting enough oxygen. He wanted to keep me overnight for more testing, but he ran another one and it came out normal - he sent me home with a diagnosis of anxiety. But of course, I focus on the abnormal one instead of focusing on all of the tests before and after that ekg that were normal. I can't seem to let go of this worry, because of that ekg situation. I want to enjoy this pregnancy - I'm not planning on having another child after this, since I will have 3. I want this to be the best pregnancy of all of them! I just need to get over my worries and I'm not sure how to do that!

IJJ, during your pregnancies, did your anxiety seem to ease up at all? My doctor told me that a lot of women say their anxiety disappears during pregnancy. I'm hoping that happens to me!!!!

Kelly326
29-10-09, 21:55
Our stories are exactly the same!!! I have 3 children and was fine. A year ago I had a panic attack and had no idea what it was. Now I suffere from HA it is alot better than it was a year ago. I SOOO want to have another baby but I am worried that my HA will come back full force but I don't want to let that stop me from being happy. I just know that when I tell the hubby im ready im gonna freak out after we do the deed. I do worry about my heart too. I have had two monitors, ekg, echo. and they of course were all fine. Well good luck and congrats!

joyce1980
30-10-09, 08:06
Hey I just had a healthy baby and was on 50mg zoloft worked well and I loved my pregnancy!!!! I'm still on zoloft and breastfeeding as its safe.

taking this med helped me to remain calm and healthy, thus having a healthy happy baby.

Just make sure you take care of yourself, all the best