PDA

View Full Version : The only way is up

Taistealai
02-11-05, 19:28
No, not a dodgy song from the 80's but the conclusion I have come to today.

To say I've had a bad couple of years is a major understatement, but to cut a long story short the occasional anxiety attacks I have suffered from over the years have now escalated into full blown panic attacks, occurring nearly every hour of every day. I've had the last three days off work (I never skive!) and so I knew it was time to get some proper help. I have had a running prescription for a small dose of diazepam for around a year, but I was finding myself taking them more and more...anyhoo the upshot of it was that I came away from my doctor's surgery today with a prescription for citalopram (sp?) and a very sodden hanky (AGAIN lol).

I read up on it and there are so many horror stories out there that I just don't think its for me. My biggest anxiety symptom is feeling like I'm having a heart attack - and I don't need anything that makes it worse!

So, really, I think I need to educate myself more, and see if I can find a non-drug solution. I KNOW its my mind thats causing it - and I KNOW my mind can make it better if I just show it how...

nomorepanic
02-11-05, 19:39
A warm welcome aboard to you and sorry to hear you are are feeling so bad.

There is light at the end of the tunnel ok so hang on in there.

Start with this on the website - www.nomorepanic.co.uk/firststeps

&
www.nomorepanic.co.uk/healthanxiety

Loads of people on here are on citalopram - go to the Medication forum and scroll through and you will see a lot of posts on it.

Hope we can be of some help to you on here.

Nicola

looby
02-11-05, 19:46
Hiya Taistealai,

I know it is so hard, and you have come to the right place!
Everyone is so supportive hear, and if you feel like getting cheered up, sometimes the chat room is the place to be.

Keep your chin up hun

Love
looby
xxx

christian
02-11-05, 20:44
Taisteala-

Of drugs/medication it is better to informed than afraid.
If you're not sure about a drug, ask a pharmacist ("chemist") They may supply with a few pros and cons and most importantly drug interaction (contraindication) information.
They are supposed be able to answer your questions and are sometimes less busy and harried than a GP. If you don't like the answers of one, ask another in a different shop. If you dont trust the chemist you can look online, but beware there are many sites which specialize in horror stories and grievance which in some cases may be just as distorted as the "facts" of drug companies.
To summarise: you may have to some of your own thinking.

My general feeling is that without the drugs the recovery process would just take longer. Much longer. Severe anxiety makes it difficult to think clearly.

However, you are right: it can't kill you and you can go up if that is what you want.
The power in within you. Anything the drugs can do you can do better. Don't get discouraged if it isn't a straight shot.

chucklehound
03-11-05, 11:42
Hi Taistealai and welcome to NMP where you will get lots of support and

make some new friends too!:D

I hope that start to feel better soon.

Take Care

Chucklehound

xxxx

jill
03-11-05, 12:10
Hi Taistealai

WELCOME TO THE SITE :D

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

seh1980
03-11-05, 12:11
Welcome aboard!! :D

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

Taistealai
03-11-05, 17:22
Thank you all so much for your welcome - it feels great to not feel so alone about it all.

I took christians advice and spoke to a pharmacist today - I'll post elsewhere about it all as I found her extremely helpful.

Meg
09-11-05, 22:31
Welcome .

Yoiu can overcome this without meds or take meds, both can be successful.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?