PDA

View Full Version : Need to take pills but petrified to do so!

Bubblegumpixie
15-10-09, 09:48
Hi all
I am so sorry to trouble you but I really need some advice
from people who are in the same situation as me. I am a long term sufferer of severe anxiety and panic disorder with associated OCD and phobias. It has got so bad that I have now developed suicidal thoughts and when I'm having a panic attack I am now hallucinating. I went to see my GP last week, he knows me very well and is very kind. I told him I can't live like this anymore and we had a very long chat and he told me to try fluoxetine alongside diazipam. Then When the fluoxetine has started to kick in I can come off the diazipam. But I have one huge problem....one of my phobias is allergic reation to new things such as food or medicines. I have been carrying around the pills with me 24/7 because I'm so desperate to take them but so scared at the same time. I had a nasty reaction to penicillin once (blisters itching etc) and I'm scared this will happen again with these. Also I'm phobic about vomiting and I know the side effects include nausea.
Once again I'm sorry to cause bother but I really want to try and get better. :0(
many thanks in advance xxx

KK77
15-10-09, 18:27
Sorry you're having a rough time ... I know it's easy to say, but the only way you'll be able to tell how you react to the medication is to take them and if you do have what appears to be an allergic reaction to go back to your GP straight away. I'm really sensitive to meds too and have been on loads this year and know how you feel but you just have to be positive that the meds will help and bite the bullet.
Your GP is obviously aware that fluoxetine can cause anxiety in the beginning and has given you diazepam so you really should be OK... Hope that helps a little!
Good luck! X

mandyclare
15-10-09, 18:32
Aww this is a hard time for you isn't it. Do you maybe have a close friend or family member you could spend a few days with while you get used to your new medication? I really hope the tablets work well for you and you feel better really quickly.

Mand x

den68
15-10-09, 18:42
i have the same problem with the fear of meds. Acouple of weeks ago couldnt take much more so agreed to take cit. I took them when my husband was there and did convince myself i felt faint etc after taking them but i was fine. Sometimes we have to face our fears to come out the other side
good luck

lc2613
16-11-09, 00:07
i am petrified of side affects of meds but reasurance i can give there is a really high percent of people allergic to penicilin it is very very comon a frequently asked question by docs because of it. another thing i can say is that diazepam has been a god send i was up a and e one night terrible state 5mg and i laughed home and slept. i didn't get on with the other meds given buspirone and citlopram so stayed taking 2.5mg valium 3-4 times a day or when leaving the house the only side effect i have had is a slightly dry mouth and constipation but nothing to complain over honestly try it the doc at a ne suggested the same combo that you are on and he saw me in a bad way i was just unlucky that my med didnt work and i still just take the valium. also if you do have side effects to the prozac the valium will help you back to normal that is why they suggest the 2 together x