PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram: Post Natal Depression

kkings1975
16-10-09, 09:03
hiya new to NMP. first post. my 2nd child thomas was born 8th of august last year(08.08.08) and it took me till may 20th this year to acknowledge to a dr that i needed help. i had asked for help from my health visitor in january for help in the form of care for my kids to have a break/ recharge. I also tried a natural remedy but i was going up and down like a yoyo. so in may i was prescribded 20mg. which i took immediately and it took about 2weeks to start working but then i seemed to continue up and up. unfortunately i then gave blood. i was checked and asked questions about my depression and they said i was ok for me to give. within 2-3 days of doing this i felt as depressed if not more than i'd felt before. 10 days after giving blood i went back to the dr's and i was prescribded 40mg. which i take at night.

since taking 40 mg i have really had a great trot. been feeling good moods minimal, and no side effects except NOT being able to DREAM. the only dreams i have is 48 hours so 2 days later if i miss a tablet. then that is proceeded by a rather rough day. i can understand this though as i missed a tablet.

my most recent thing is on the 3rd of oct i woke up with a bad pain in my head which got worse down the right side of my face by the evening. i went to the pharmacy and got some sudafed dual relief max and was asked if i was taking any meds and told em citalopram. the pharmasist's said it was fine to take. grrrrr!! :mad:which i took that night sunday and monday to help get rid of the sinus pressure. i've since had a cold too.

by the thursday the 8th my meds had completely stopped working and i have had bad dream after bad dream. now my dreams are back and have become more mild but i'm snappy moody and so low. i've had about 1 average/ ok day since which was tuesday.

i'm seeing a dr/ not my dr this afternoon but i don't wanna up again... :weep:
sorry its so long...:blush:

sarah jayne
16-10-09, 09:30
Hi i got post natal depression after my second child was born. Even though my husband kept telling me to go to the doctors it took me a year to go. I was prescribed citalopram and was on them for 6 months. They took a while to work ( about 6 weeks ) but they did make a huge difference. They dont work for everyone so have a word with your doctor and see what he thinks, he might want to try you on something else. Hope your feeling better soon.
Sarah x

kkings1975
17-10-09, 01:10
thanks sarah.
as i said i went to the dr's this afternoon and i've now been put up to 60mg, at which i'm gutted!! think i'm more depressed now than this morning. i am so scared at how i'm influencing my kids esp my daughter who's nearlt 2 years 5 months... its so scary how she's picking up on my emotions and my moods. she can mimic my frustartion to a tee. i've been trying to talk to my husband tonight hence why i'm now typing on here instead. he doesnt get it... i've tried telling him i just need a mental break for 2 days and he's implying that i can't do it cause my kids have to come first!?!?! but i'mtrying to put them first by getting better.

:unsure: confused and very sad/ low:weep: