PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for MRI results - how am I going to cope?

Twinsmummy
16-10-09, 12:41
Hello all.

I have posted before, I have been twitching, trembling and numb with weakness in my left hand for 2 months now, I had an MRI on Wednesday and was told my consultant should get the results within 48 hours, so I am hoping that my consultant will call today with the results.

My symptoms seem to be different to others who have posted in that they haven't really gone away - I have had good days and bad, and anxiety seems to make them worse, but they haven't gone away completely.

My biggest fear is MS. I know there are worse things to be diagnosed with but today I think I am the most scared I have ever been.

I am worried that if he doesn't call it is because the results are bad (not just the possibility that he hasn't had a chance to look at the scans yet). I'm not sure how I am going to get through the weekend.

Sorry for gloomy and long post, just feeling a bit alone :blush:

Love to all
Caroline

meg86
16-10-09, 12:54
Try not to worry and think positive :).

My mum doesnt suffer from anxiety but she has been through alot of stress as she left her husband, she had tingling, weakness and numbness in her right arm for nearly a year.

The doctor sent her for a MRI and the results where completely fine!! stress causes soo many different things, my auntie also has the same symptoms on her arm and legs occasionally, due to stress.

I have had this myself the weakness, numbess, tingling it is very common with anxiety so try not to be concerned.

I know how horrible it is waiting for results, just try and keep your self occupied and try not to think of the worst, it could be lots of things before MS.

Take Care xxx

Twinsmummy
16-10-09, 12:58
Dear Meg

Thank you for your fast reply, I have been keeping myself busy this week, but feel like I have ground to a halt!

Thank you also for your mention of your mum/auntie. I think the weakness is kind of the worst symptom because so many people mention trembling and numbness as part of anxiety, but not weakness, so it is good to hear of people having it with no serious illness! I hope your mum is doing better now.

I hope you are well
Caroline

pollyanna
16-10-09, 13:02
Hi Caroline

I know how awful it is to wait for results to come back, your mind just spirals out of control, with absoultely no perspective. the fact that the weekend is coming up with 2 days that nothing can happen in , just adds to your misery.
Maybe you could give him a ring this afternoon to see if he has had the chance of looking a the results yet, that way you will have a better idea when to expect the results , and even if your consultant has seen them yet instead of worrying yourself sick over the weekend.
As hard as it is, try and keep your mind as busy with other things as you can, i know thats easier said than done.
Hope you dont have to wait to long, and its a positive outcome when it comes

Best wishes

P x

meg86
16-10-09, 13:38
hello :)

yea my mum and my auntie sometimes find it hard to grip, i found this to that when carrying things it seemed heavier and i struggled with it more than i did before, im not sure if this was my imagination.

I had this symptom continuously for months!

If you look at this symptom list

http://www.panic-anxiety.com/anxiety-symptoms/

weakness, numbess, tingling is on there hun.

My mum is doing great now thanks for asking :) xx

sammyj
16-10-09, 13:44
think of it this way, why would he call you if the results were fine?? Their major priority would be to call people who have something seriously wrong.So your results are more than likely fine, hence why the doctor would think it can wait until he gets around to calling you and giving you the results.waiting is terrible I know, I was like that when waiting for blood tests to come back. If it was major your doctor would most likely be contacted and you would be called in -I am sure everything is fine

Twinsmummy
16-10-09, 13:50
Thank you all of you for your kind replies - I don't know why I think a senior consultant would deliberately not phone with my results, all part of my anxiety I guess. If I had had my way he would have been in the room when I had my MRI to give me the results immediately :blush:.

You are all so supportive and honestly a Godsend.

With love and peace
Caroline

Twinsmummy
16-10-09, 13:56
By the way Meg, thank you for the link to the physical symptoms list from Charles Linden, I haven't seen it before! It is just that it has gone on for so long that terrifies me.

I thought about subscribing to the Linden technique and entered my email address and now I am getting an email almost daily from them, it all feels a bit pressurised. Have you or do you know anyone who has tried it? I am wary of anything stating 100% recovery rate for all "except those who haven't tried hard enough...". I already feel like enough of a failure without something like this.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply

Caroline x

meg86
16-10-09, 14:30
Nope i dont know anyone who has tried it, its very expensive so havnt tried it myself but start CBT soon, have you tried that hun? ive heard great things about it x

Twinsmummy
16-10-09, 15:35
I tried it years ago for anxiety about lack of confidence etc, however I was undergoing infertility treatment at the time so I was completely distracted and didn't try very hard (the lady I saw gave me sheets to fill in each week on my feelings and I used to complete them in the car park before my appointment). So it didn't really work for me, although I found some of the paperwork a few days ago and reading them they made a lot of sense.

I am currently seeing a psychologist for my anxiety who said she may use it as part of my 'treatment', so I am keeping an open mind and would definitely try it again.

I hope with all my heart it works for you.

Big hugs
Caroline x

PS My husband has just rung my consultant's secretary to see if they have the results but she has gone home for the weekend, so I guess I won't get my results till after the weekend :weep:.

harasgenster
16-10-09, 20:06
Hi
I know how you feel. I've been waiting to have an MRI for three months now and I'm terrified. With me they think it's epilepsy but I've been on anticonvulsants for around four months and I don't feel any better so I'm thinking it's either just stress or it's something worse than epilepsy. I keep thinking I have a timebomb in my brain that could strike at any moment! But that's silly because before they mentioned the MRI I wasn't worried about my symptoms at all, just put them all down to stress.

I think it's true that the consultant would have called straight away if it was anything serious. But carry on pestering them. I've just been speaking to a friend of mine with MS and she said she actually went to A&E in the end to be seen because it took them so long to organise her scan! She recommends pestering for any of these things because the NHS is busy and sometimes you can get lost.

Try to stop worrying, there's nothing you can do for now, just get back to it on Monday.

Good luck

Twinsmummy
17-10-09, 21:46
Dear Harasgenster

I am sorry you are feeling this way. If it gives you any consolation I think after 4 months if it were serious you would have deteriorated, I hope that your MRI comes through quickly.

My husband telephoned to chase the MRI results and he was told it could take 2 weeks for them to come through :ohmy:, my husband just said "WHY?"

I have tried to be positive today but have had terrible twitches and numbness in my fingers and side of my face. Probably stress from the last few days but horrible all the same.

I wish you all a happy and peaceful weekend.

Caroline x

Twinsmummy
20-10-09, 12:09
Hello to all.

I have just had my results - THE MRI WAS CLEAR!!! (sorry for shouting). I can't believe it. My neurologist thinks I am having a long term reaction to Topamax, a migraine medication I was taking, which is being exacerbated by anxiety. Not sure that explains the weakness in my hand - but will see a chiropractor and NOT stress about it.

I know I have to deal with my HA (and I have started seeing a psyychologist), but for now I just want to celebrate!!!!!

HOORAY!

Thank you to all who replied and I send my happy vibes to you all.

With love and peace
Caroline x

pollyanna
20-10-09, 12:47
Caroline..

That is fantastic news, :yahoo: i am so pleased for you, shout about it all you want, it must be a huge relief for you, especially as you had to wait that extra weekend when you couldnt get a hold of the consultants secetary, but you can forget all that and let go of that now, and celebrate the good news. :D :D :D :D :D :D

best wishes

Pauline xx

Humly
20-10-09, 15:48
There you are you see. Nothing to worry about - you must be so relieved. I am so pleased for you. Best wishes.

Twinsmummy
20-10-09, 20:04
Thank you, Pauline and LT for your kind words.

Hopefully just everyday anxiety for a while!

I wish you both all the good health and happiness you could wish for.

With love
Caroline

meg86
21-10-09, 11:06
I am so so so happy for you Twinsmummy :D:D:D

YAYYYYY!!!!

Take Care hun and concentrate on getting the anxiety sorted.

Much Love xxx