PDA

View Full Version : 1st time joining a Forum or Chatroom

Boots
17-10-09, 13:57
Hello, As yu can see i am new to this so not quite sure :doh:how to navigate everything so please bare with my inexperience.

I have always been a bit sencetive but since a heart attack (3 Years ago) and a year later a fairly major Bypass followed by over 2 months in a High Dependancy Ward, my recovery has been blighted by severe Chest pains, which we are now relating to Anxiety and maybe Depression.
The effect on my life has been noticeable to say the least and although my previous life was not always a bed of roses, i miss it.

I have been refrred to my first consultation at a High intensity CBT Team on Monday 21st October and have joined NMP to see if my experiences will help or at least inform someone else who might suffer similar physical and mental trauma that i am, and have, experienced.

I have found that i do not talk much about my problems to friends and family as i feel it will bore them or turn them away from me, and also because i have withdrawn from being my former self to a certain degree, i do not want to alienate myself from them any more than i already feel i have done. When i have said this to them they say that they feel no different about me other than a larger concern for my future well being, and that it is me being self conscious.
The anxiety seems to be increasing into all walks of my life, which i will elaberate on if yu are interested.

I have been telling my GP and Heart Consultant of my symptoms for 18 months now and at last we are going to look at the Mental side of things, other than the private reading i have done.

I look forward to hearing your views and hopefully share in whatever predicament you find yourselves in.

nomorepanic
17-10-09, 13:59
Hi Boots

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

mandyclare
17-10-09, 14:13
Hello Boots, nice to meet you :)

It's completely understandable that a major health issue as you had could make you anxious or even depressed. Im new to this site also but im glad you found it because talking it through will no doubt help immensely. I myself have general anxiety disorder currently causing alot of palpatations which are distressing and make me question going out into certain environments etc.

I hope things improve for you very soon and feel free to pm anytime if you need somebody to talk to.

Mand x

Veronica H
17-10-09, 16:23
:welcome:to NMP Boots. You have been through a great deal. I am sure that CBT will help you. There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes;SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES ISBN 0-7225-3155-9.This is available from the NMP shop. Dr Weekes was a fellow sufferer who really understood this illness. She took the mystery out of it, and devised a simple programme for recovery. I can't recommend this enough. This will get better.

Veronica