PDA

View Full Version : anyone have a major cancer fear?!

pinkfairy86
17-10-09, 18:03
For the last few months out of nowhere ive been driving myself insane with cancer, convincing myself i have every type going, each month is a different one! Ive been reading information on HPV and its terrified me! Does anyone else ever just feel like crying as theyre so scared of it? Im only 23 and i know i should be enjoying myself but i cant snap out of it! Any suggestions on how to deal with it and just stop thinking about it?

Louise x

gypsywomen
17-10-09, 18:09
it seems to be the first worryyou get with anxiety ,,stange but we feel so bad we think its got to be cancer,,, themind is a powerfull thing,, xx

Cell block H fan
17-10-09, 19:05
You're on a health anxiety forum, we've all had every one going by now lol But it does suck. And HA isn't ageist, I was about 21 when it kicked off. And I had cancers generally only associated with 40+ people, like breast cancer, lung cancer. Of course I was the exception, so I had them! Now i'm older I cant believe how much time I wasted worrying about some things! But no one could tell me that back then, just like we wont be able to tell you! Its like you know deep down you're being completely irrational, but there is that little bit of doubt that says you really are ill. And that little bit of doubt wins out every time ey & stops you really enjoying anything in life fully! grrrrrr x

Humly
17-10-09, 19:18
Well cancer is my number one fear. Only today I have managed to turn toothache into cancer after visiting good old Dr Google. When will I learn?

pinkfairy86
17-10-09, 19:18
well a gf might help but i feel bad cus ive been putting all of this onto my bf :( Ive had the cancer fear since my grandad died and my friends dad recently died of it. I have another trip to my doctors monday, as soon as they tell me somethings fine another thing pops up:( Ive looked on amazon.co.uk and you can buy the linden method programme, expensive though!

Cell block H fan
17-10-09, 19:38
well a gf might help but i feel bad cus ive been putting all of this onto my bf :( Ive had the cancer fear since my grandad died and my friends dad recently died of it. I have another trip to my doctors monday, as soon as they tell me somethings fine another thing pops up:( Ive looked on amazon.co.uk and you can buy the linden method programme, expensive though!

Thats similar to what triggered mine back in my early 20's. Boyfriends step dad died of it. Could of blown me over with a feather, was convinced he would be ok, as he was only 57. Only old people got it I thought then! :wacko:

pinkfairy86
17-10-09, 20:19
i know i thought the same. He was only in his 50's and one of the healthiest people i knew! Strange how these things trigger in people. Youre totally right, i know its irrational thinking, I need to find a way of getting out of this thought pattern. Ive convinced myself i have bowel cancer, mouth, throat, lymphoma, vulva cancer etc and its taking over my life! :(

mark1980
18-10-09, 09:33
I can sympathise with you, cancer is my number one fear and over the past few years I have perceived it in many places.

Currently going through a stage of an ear infection/brain tumour! I know how bad it is when it is all you can think about and hope you feel better.

JoP38
03-12-09, 21:06
So glad to see that I'm not the only one that's worrying about such things, (sorry tho u all are!)
I'm currently under the docs being treated for H Pylori, and for a few months I've had the sensation of food stuck, I've been told by 2 docs it's anxiety-when at the docs on tuesday re HP, the sensation of the lump in my throat was so bad, I ended up in tears over it, I was convinced it's a tumour, she assured me it's not and it is Globus.
Today I was determined to ignore it, and I kind of did, didn't dwell on it-but I was still aware it was there-so my thoughts were still drifting back to the fact that it can't possibly be caused by anxiety, as I wasn't over anxious when it started, so it must be sinister.
I desperately want to enjoy my life, my beautiful children but this is taking over my mind!!
My dad died last year, he was old and had a stroke after being diagnosed with cancer of the osophegus-is it possible that psychologically I've triggered this in my head because of that?
Soooo fed up of this.

brisaya
04-12-09, 03:05
this is my main anxiety and like all of you i have convinced myself ive had a few different types. how awful! I drive my husband up the wall with it! I currently have headaces and dizziness and you know what I'm thinking don't you ...........

Wish I could just forget about it but its an awful thing to suffer with and I find alot of people don't understand HA and just pass you off as a "Drama Queen"

reddevil
04-12-09, 10:36
Yep, it is my number 1 worry.

Little Miss Anxious
04-12-09, 15:05
Must admit if there is nothing worrying me healthwise I dont think about it so much but any symptom of anything triggers me off. If I stubbed a toe & my nail went black my first thought would be ahhhhhh toe cancer !! I have a bad tooth which I am awaiting treatment & deep down know darn well thats what is causing me ear & face-ache occasionally, the bad thoughts about "what if I have cancer" still creep in occasionally even though I have a great big hole in my back tooth !!

I reckon its because its such a nasty disease & it does not discriminate. In a way though that should make us seize the day, life is too short for worrying.

I reckon being scared about it puts us in the majority, I bet many people think about it weather they admit it or not. :ohmy:

Jo3016
04-12-09, 16:18
Hi

Cancer is my worst fear too and it going undiagnosed!!

In the last 5 years, I have convinced myself that I have a brain tumor on several occasions, breast cancer, bowel cancer, stomach cancer, ovarian cancer and more recently uterine cancer.

It is a major cause of health anxiety for me.

wendy43
04-12-09, 17:47
Cancer has been my worst fear over the past few weeks, not monthly like yours, but every weekend, It's hell..
Breast, lung with back pain, chapped lips- lip cancer. I'm waiting til I start looking at my moles and figure there's something wrong there too. Main HA has been my throat, mouth and tongue all playing tricks on my mind.
Mum passed away with a secondary lung cancer in Jan, so alot of mine is connected to hers. I feel almost ashamed to say that I smoke too, GP advised me not to think about giving up at the moment, as during the grieving and now these health anxieties all over the place, I've somehow got to get 'me' together before trying to stop.
Your not alone at all in the 'cancer' fears, theres lots of people on here in the same boat as you and I.

Jan63
04-12-09, 18:22
So glad to see that I'm not the only one that's worrying about such things, (sorry tho u all are!)
I'm currently under the docs being treated for H Pylori, and for a few months I've had the sensation of food stuck, I've been told by 2 docs it's anxiety-when at the docs on tuesday re HP, the sensation of the lump in my throat was so bad, I ended up in tears over it, I was convinced it's a tumour, she assured me it's not and it is Globus.
Today I was determined to ignore it, and I kind of did, didn't dwell on it-but I was still aware it was there-so my thoughts were still drifting back to the fact that it can't possibly be caused by anxiety, as I wasn't over anxious when it started, so it must be sinister.
I desperately want to enjoy my life, my beautiful children but this is taking over my mind!!
My dad died last year, he was old and had a stroke after being diagnosed with cancer of the osophegus-is it possible that psychologically I've triggered this in my head because of that?
Soooo fed up of this.

I've had exactly the same thing as you've got now and I tested positive for Helicobactor Pylori too. It took a few weeks and a strong course of antibiotics and omeprazole capsules but the horrible feeling of something stuck in my throat gradually went away and I've not had it since. I was also concerned that it was throat cancer too.

My worst fear is cancer too - it's the one thing I'm terrified of especially of it going undiagnosed.:weep:

melanienz
20-12-09, 00:14
Yes I can so relate to this, while this whole thing sux it helps to know that there are others out there who have the same fear as me as I thought I was crazy or having some kind of premonition. Gosh when can I be normal again????

amye619
21-12-09, 13:11
I know exactly how it feels, this is my number one worry, and the thing that triggered my H A after we lost my dad to it! I know you've got to think rationally but sometimes it's easier said than done! My doc sent me for all the tests... not because there was anything to worry about, just to put my mind at rest. They all came back fine but it hasn't stopped me worrying and thinking what if they've missed something! I'd go for these tests every week if i could but I know I can't do that and it's just one of them thiongs I'm going to have to overcome by myself! Can't be spending the rest of my life relying on tests to tell me I'm ok, just got to trust your judgement sometimes!

buzzing
21-12-09, 20:00
Yes it is my number 1 worry, and has been for last 15 years. This all started when my dad went with cancer at 55, and i have convinced myself every day that i have it.

randomworry
04-01-10, 22:18
yep this is a fear of mine because i got exposed to radioactive iodine in my lab at university......but now i think hey what is the point of worrying ,,,i might never get cancer anyway!

DanixVx
04-01-10, 22:39
ive spent the last 4 years of my life thinkin that every headache, every pain, anything i get is cancer, im so scared of it its unreal