PDA

View Full Version : Phobia Of Sponge

Ruby94
18-10-09, 03:08
Yes you heard. 'Sponge'

I cannot stand the thought, sound, sight or feel of it. Just typing about it brings tears to my eyes, my fiancé thinks im weird and i need help, how charming of him. I hate how people dont take your phobias seriously so they chase you around with it!

Im not sure how to get over this phobia, ..:wacko: i know its 'wacko' but im being deadly serious. Does anyone know how to deal with this.
Also cotten wool makes me vomit if i touch it.

:huh: .. Yours Puzzedly.

Ruby.

pollyanna
18-10-09, 11:09
Hi Ruby,

I dont know if this is an actually phobia, as i am not afraid of it, but i cant stand velvet, or cheap imitation velvet, like you would get on the back of photos frames, or in jewellery boxes, i cant stand it, it makes my skin and teeth go all funny, and yes my family think its incredibly funny to chase me around the house with it, or try to get me to touch something unwittingly... grrrrr

My sister is the same with cotton wool, and abba songs make her feel sick, or so she says.... shes weird... :roflmao:

P x

ladybird64
18-10-09, 12:00
Hi Ruby

I'll take your phobia seriously! I guess the best way to approach this is the same as with any phobia, gradual exposure to whatever freaks you out.
Maybe start by looking at pictures or photos of the offending objects and very gradually work your way up to being able to touch them.
It doesn't matter how long it takes, the important thing is to repeat the exposure because if you don't, it is easy to become terrified again.
Now if only I could follow my own advice..:winks:

Good luck :flowers:

LucyR
18-10-09, 13:52
Hi, Im not sure what you mean, do you mean like a bath sponge, or do you mean the sponge we eat ie dessert?:yahoo:

teez
18-10-09, 13:54
hiya ruby,,my strange phobias as well as my not so which are my agoraphobia and claustraphobia,,,are used cold tea bags ,,which i still dont like but i can get by now with them even touch them if need be, but the one that still makes me really heave and i have to look elsewhere is burberry ,,can you imagine,,what it was like when it was everywhere it was agony,,and when people dresses their dogs in it ,,it really upset me as i love dogs and wanted to look at them lol,,maybe im just odd :D

Ruby94
18-10-09, 15:09
Thankyou for all of your replys.

Lucy i meant the bath kind of sponge, sorry. :blush:

Thankyou for the tips ladybird i'm really going to try get over this once and for all, just thinking of it also makes my teeth and skin go funny, i have goosebumps :unsure:. Teez that must be horrible for you am very sorry, i hate burberry with a passion it looks horrible. The cold tea bags one is new to me, but if you must know i actually used to have nightmares about cold tea bags on a lollypop stick and this guy used to chase me with it untill i threw up, i'd wake up feeling very ill and sleeping next to the toilet all night. It put me off drinking tea for a while but when i drank coffee.. i ended up in CASULTY! :weep: So .. can never win. Thats my life all over though.

Once again thank you all for your replys. They really helped, and maybe im not the only weird one out there :yahoo:

Ruby x

teez
18-10-09, 20:17
how odd my fear was being chased with teabags,,and the once i was chased as some idjert thought it would be funny to see what happened when i told him off my phobia,,i promptly threw up,

Ruby94
18-10-09, 20:31
How strange, maybe we had a childhood related insident wat we just cant remember.. im not sure. Probably a weird coincidence.

bonkers2311
19-10-09, 14:45
hi ruby i can understand your phobia as i have a phobia of dust cant stand the feel of it, it makes me cringe. when my hubby fixed the stairs there was dust on the kitchen floor i cleaned it up and hated every moment doing it . was worse when i worked at a petrol station and the workmen would come in with their dusty money and id have to pick it up

Ruby94
19-10-09, 15:52
Im very sorry to hear that must of been so hard, but atleast you could get on with it and bite the bullet, see with me and sponge in the same room .. well that picture just isnt near possible. But then again if i had to save someone close to me from a pool of sponge .. i would. :wacko:

Danath
19-10-09, 16:14
you guys must not consider yourself weird for having these phobias. The reason they are phobias is because they are unusual and irrational fears. A phobia is defined as a fear that is persistent and irrational that bothers us even in situations when we aren't exposed to said fear.

I have a phobia of vomiting I used to think was weird, turns out its extremely common, its called emetophobia and is the 5th or 6th most ocmmon phobia in the world.

My girlfreind has a phobia of prawns, they really freak her out, this is called Ostraconaphobia.

we all have one, in some form of another and its absoloutely no reason to think less of yourself.

I'm still trying to find the name of the sponge phobia and the tea bag one, ill get back to you when i've found them.

Dan

Ruby94
19-10-09, 16:24
This is very true, thankyou for your input.

teez
25-10-09, 13:46
my son luke has a phobia of the colour grey,,the really pale grey,,he always has had it,,