PDA

View Full Version : Hypothyroidism and High Blood Pressure

serendipity
18-10-09, 16:00
Hi all
hope i'm posting in right place.

After suffering from sudden anxiety following the birth of my child 7 mnths back was finally diagnosed with Hypothyroidism a month ago.

I was on Citalopram for the anxiety and had to come off it after four months due to raised prolactin. since then i've been battling the anxiety without meds.

I was put on 50 mgs of levothyroxine as my tsh was 38 and have risen to 100 mgs after two weeks. My anxiety had improved alot, apart from severe muscle tension which is in my neck, shoulders and face and I felt I was maybe starting to get somewhere until Friday. I went for a repeat of the thyroxine and the gp decided to check my bp and it was slightly high at 138/95. Even though he just said it would have to be monitored and it could be the thyroxine I left the surgery and worked myself up so much I felt ill. When I got home I immediately went online to read about bp and have not had a very good weekend feeling like i'm going to die of a heart attack, feeling light headed and short of breath at times like I have to take deep breaths. I have also cried buckets.

I had walked very quickly to the surgery (about 3/4 mile) and had not had a chance to sit down before he called me in and took my BP, so maybe this was case or maybe it is meds I dont know. I didn't feel out of breath or worked up when I was having it done. To make matters worse when I got home and worked myself up for over an hour I used my grandfathers bp device and got an even higher reading of 200/150 then 150/110 then 146/100. My mum took it away from me as didn't think it would help.

Anyway was wondering if anyone here had experienced anything similar or some words of reassurance would be good. My BP was only like that after i'd had the baby for about a week then went back to normal.

I feel as though i've not quite been good since coming off the citalopram which I was told to stop immediately (20mg), and I suffered terrible withdrawls almost two weeks later.

Thinking of asking doc if I can go back on a low dose anti dep tomorrow to see if that helps. Just praying my bp ok tomorrow too.

Sorry to rant.

Seren:weep:

Utility
18-10-09, 18:07
Hi

That's the thing about having your blood pressure taken - it can vary for for all sorts of reasons (even just having it measured can make it rise) and it doesn't mean anything is wrong. It is highly likely that the rush to the surgery had this sort of affect so please try not to worry. Your mum is correct, stop measuring your own BP - you are only increasing anxiety levels by doing this.

Any time I have had my blood pressure taken I don't even ask what it is because if the doctor is not concerned about it being temporarily high then why should I be.

For ease of mind why don't you have a chat with your GP who will no doubt confirm that your concerns are unfounded.

emh
19-10-09, 17:39
I know how u feel about the high bllod pressure. During pregnancy mine went up to 116 ( bottom figure, can't remember the top) and this was so scary. Since having had my baby my bp has settled, but it is still regularly high-ish, last time was 150/90. But for some people this a normal reading. I'm so nervous now about having it done that i have to sit with the doc for a while and he always does a couple of readings! Just remember that if they were concerned about your bp being too high they would put u on tablets. I'm guessing you're not that old if you've just had a baby, and i think it is only people over a certain age with high bp that is a concern.

serendipity
19-10-09, 19:49
Had bp checked again today and its 138/88. lower than friday so bit happier now.

been given clamipramine to try help anxiety so hope this works!

:=) thanks for reassuring words.

seren