PDA

View Full Version : Therapy help

keek09
18-10-09, 17:16
hello
i have anxiety and depression and suffer from panic attacks.
im only 24 and started the panic attacks about 3 years ago and began CBT. They have only recently started to come back again and i have been having "time limited therapy" where im more talking about past issues, childhood, family etc.
Ive had 3 sessions and to be honest i dont know if its right for me. i have had a stable background and luckily enough a loving family that supports me, but the therapist seems determined to find a negative situation to my life that has caused my anxiety and depression.
does anyone else find it very confusing to know whether your having the right therapy or not?? :huh:
as im very confused at the moment and dont know wheteher to go back to CBT or continue with the talk therapy? is there always a cause of anxiety and depression that is linked to past experiences?!
any advice would be much appreciated :)

Chris 22
18-10-09, 17:21
It may be better if you ask for CBT therapy (Cognitive behavioural therapy) which focuses more on how to deal with your anxiety/depression rather than causes of it. There may be some underlying cause to why it started but maybe not. I certainly dont know why mine did. It can cause more anxiety if you are trying to find something that cant be found?. I would discuss this with your GP. Hope this is helpful?.

PanicOver!!
18-10-09, 17:25
Hi

Just finished CBT myself and my therapist was constantly looking for triggers but like you my life is very comfortable i have no major worries yet i still get anxious.
i think there was possibly something in the past that started it but that is now irrelavent, whatever it was that started it, it is what has happend since that has made my mind blow things up out of all proportion. Its only since i have learnt not to fight the anxious times but just accept them for what they are (false feelings) that they have since reduced to next to nothing

sorry for the rant but hope that helps x

keek09
18-10-09, 17:27
you have hit the nail on the head! hehe. i do feel like i am searching for something that never happened and in turn my anxiety is making me question that maybe something awful did happen to me but i cant remember it. which i know is silly and its the anxiety talking!
im seeing my psychiatrist next week so maybe he can shed a bit of light on what kind of therapy i should be having.
thankyou! :)

PanicOver!!
18-10-09, 17:28
Good luck !!

keek09
18-10-09, 17:29
can i ask are either of you taking anti depressants or anything herbal as well? i took 20mg of citalopram last week and it freaked me out so much that i stopped and want to focus on solving the anxiety with therapy and seeing a herbalist instead.

annabanana
19-10-09, 20:45
Hiya, just wanted to say that I'm similar to you...searching for my trigger but struggling as I had a great childhood, family are fantastic etc. I'd rather try to deal with what's going on now that dig up things from the past that I can't remember!
I had depression 4yrs ago and was prescribed citalopram which I dutifully took but I honestly don't think they had any useful effect on me. At the moment, as health anxiety struck a few months ago, I'm taking buspirone for anxiety (got stop/change soon as my GP said they're for short term use only) which I think have helped but i'm wary of moving onto anti-deps (presuming they're longer term option) as I want to treat the problem for good not cover it up with medication. That's just my opinion mind, I know medication works for lots of people and I know that maybe I just didn't find the right drug for me but i'm seriously considering trying to sort myself out with talking therapy (hopefully CBT) and complementary therapies. Have you tried herbalist before? Any advice? x

keek09
20-10-09, 08:39
i will let you know what the herbalist suggests on friday! yeah im the same as u. had this one horrible experience of citalopram and now i dont wanna go near it ever again!!!
maybe CBT is the way to go as i seemto be digging up stuff from my past which i dont believe to be necessary. hmmmmm