PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a confidence seeker!

BlackKnightNoArmour
18-10-09, 17:30
Greetings fellow peoples of NMP! I am Matthew (but people tend to call me Matt so I guess you could go with that), 21 years old and from East London. And I suffer from...social anxiety/phobia and self-esteem issues (plus who knows what else burdening my mind). Whew! Feels like a relief to finally admit it and get off my chest...even if it is only textually.

These days I don't feel like I have anything to smile about and like I'm further venturing into a downward spiral. Don't have much going for me in the way of anything and don't feel like I'm any good at anything either. I like to (try and) use my creative projects to take my mind off things, but even that has it's moments and isn't enough to keep my brain racing at 150 thoughts per second.

This site seems like a blessing. I've been registered for a while but only recently been active on the site. Hopefully I'll be able to meet others in the same or similar situation and see how they handle it and we can support each other and the like. Maybe even make some friends. The same with others of different issues/problems/illnesses as well. Hope to know my way around this site soon. Bye for now.

Matt

diane07
18-10-09, 17:31
Hi BlackKnightNoArmour

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

PanicOver!!
18-10-09, 17:32
Hi Matt

Welcome to NMP ypu will get some great support here and meet loads of great people

BlackKnightNoArmour
18-10-09, 20:54
Thank you both for the kind messages. I appreciate them :)

JohnLuke300
19-10-09, 17:21
Hi Matthew

And welcome from one social phobia sufferer to another. I noticed you say you have self-esteem issues I think that is obvious (i.e. 'Don't have much going for me in the way of anything and don't feel like I'm any good at anything either' :D). But our social phobia makes us believe this but it is rarely true. Our anxiety makes us analyze our self in a negative way. We only look for evidence that supports this belief and we ignore the evidence that contradicts it. I am quite sure you have a lot going for you and there are probably lots of things that you are good at. You just need to learn how to think about yourself in a more balanced way (i.e. less negatively). :D

All the best,

John