PDA

View Full Version : I managed to drive without panic!!

nomorepanic
25-01-04, 18:48
Hi all

Well this has to be a success story cos it has been a big achievement for me. I started writing a diary as a few suggested so here is the one and only entry - lol. I didn't feel the need to write anymore in the week so here is the one I wrote!

The drive. Left just after 2pm. The first part was ok – had done it before, straight up to Milton Keynes.

From then onwards it was a case of following the map and route I had planned.

Started to get a bit anxious at one point – feel a little breathless and pains in my side. Reassured myself they were normal. In the end I put Moby on and an excellent track called “Extreme Ways”. Turned it up and sang away. That seemed to work.

The rest of the journey was good – started to enjoy it more and passed through some lovely villages – Bibury and Barnsley (that had a pub called “The village pub” – that amused me).

Got a bit lost at Yate but managed to find the venue for the course tomorrow so I called Nick at work and asked him to navigate me to the hotel. Arrived here at 5.15pm.

Unpacked and went for a swim – well more of a paddle cos the pool wasn’t that big and I could sit on the pool bottom in the shallow end. Swam round and round a bit and then had a quick spa.

Back to the room to decide what to do for food – the restaurant, the bar or room service. It all seems too expensive for what it is - £11 for a burger!!

Made a coffee and sat on bed writing this. Feeling a bit weird. Kinda alone and trapped here. Feel a little anxious but hoping it will pass soon.

Going to do some stuff on the website – keep me occupied.

Well I ended up talking to Matt cos I felt a bit lonely but then the rest of the week I was ok, just very bored and very little sleep atall!!

The drive home was great - no panic or anxiety atall. I left at 12.45 and got home 3 hours later. It was tiring but I did it!! :)

I still feel that I need to conquer the M25 before I feel really cured but for now just driving that distance alone is enough for me to feel pleased with myself.

Thanks to Meg and Andrew for all the text's and to Matt for all his text's and the phone-calls. It was much appreciated :D

Nicola

sadie
25-01-04, 19:22
Hi Nicola,

Well done girl!! I think you you done so well to drive all the way there and back and to be away fom home for a week and cope so well.
You definetly should be so proud of yourself. I dont know if I could cope with a week away from home myself at the moment. It just lets you see just how far you have come!!!

Well, I bet you will feel one step closer now to conquering the M25!!

I am so pleased for you!!

sadie

Matt
25-01-04, 19:27
Told you you could do it! :D

NP with the txts n calls! :)

Matt

sarah
25-01-04, 20:50
Hey Nic

Im really impressed with you mate!!!!
You done good girl. You are gonna have to ban yourself from here soon, or just be posting as a 'former panicker' ..lol
Serously well done babe, im proud of you.

love Sarah
xx

benoo5
25-01-04, 21:06
well done nic,you did yourself proud...bryan.

kate
25-01-04, 21:09
Well done Nic,

You did SO well!!! So pleased for you.

Kate x

nomorepanic
25-01-04, 21:20
Thanks all

It was kind weird for me cos I am so used to panicking that I was waiting for it.

I actually "enjoyed" the drive back - am I weird lol.

Cheers for all the kind words

xx

Nicola

Meg
25-01-04, 21:24
Just brilliant ! Congratulations Nic

Meg

twister
26-01-04, 13:45
Well Done Nicola - that's great

I've driven through Bibury loads of times - did you wave to the ducks like I do!

And also did you know the houses on the side of the pond there are the oldest know inhabitable houses in the country - you learn something new every day!

Emily

Lottie32
26-01-04, 13:57
Well done Nic

You've done us proud!

Charlie

nomorepanic
26-01-04, 20:44
Em

I thought about stopping there on the way home cos it was such a pretty place, but I decided to plod on.

I expect I will have a few more courses in Bristol so I may stop next time and look around.

Good to see you back Em xx

Thanks Charlie xx

Nicola

lilac kitten
27-01-04, 12:53
Excellent news! What a success story, don't envy anyone the M25 I have probs getting from Hook to B'stoke on the M3 and thats only 5 miles!!

I took a few colleagues to the pub the other day and they said "but there's nothing wrong with your driving, you seem very confident and safe", to which I explained that its not my driving ability thats the problem it's the road I'm on and the trapped in the middle of nowhere feeling. Also the panicing about being sick doesn't help either and one thought rubs off on the other.

Back to Nicola - I think you're very brave, I hope I can get up the confidence you and others have. Although I'm quite happy avoiding motorways (now thats not the attitude I should take is it!!?) :-)

I've promised my son the Dinosaur museum in Dorchester soon, so hopefully I'll get the chance to do some driving and combine that with not panicing about sick.

See ya,
Ruth

nomorepanic
27-01-04, 19:58
Ruth

At the time I did beat myself up over not going via the M25 and M4 but I thought "no, hang on one step at a time". I need to regain confidence when driving so the 3 hours was a challenge. Now I will try and move on to the motorways. I do do motorways but not the M25 - lol. Panicked on there too many times!

The route I took to Bristol wasn't "Out of the way" - it was diagonal instead of going down and across so I don't feel as though I really went out of the way to avoid the M25.

But - I will get there one-day. Slowly and surely.

Nicola

kate
27-01-04, 20:58
Nic,

As far as I'm concerned you have nothing to beat yourself up over!

Who cares which route you took? The point of the matter is YOU DID IT!!

You drove all that way along unfamiliar roads, negotiated a map and THEN managed to stay away from home for a week!!

I think you did fantastically!!! Give yourself a big pat on the back and just think about what you achieved!

Kate x

nomorepanic
27-01-04, 21:09
Thanks Kate

You made me feel all warm inside !!

I am getting there and I won't give in but I can appreciate that others are still trying to drive again like I am. I thank Meg for coming to see me and giving me the positivity I needed - i.e. someone to kick me up the bum and say "just do it". I have also been forced by my job to do this but I like to think that I can carry on doing this and stop moaning so much about it - lol

Nicola

stimpy
28-01-04, 16:17
Well done Nic !!

That's fantastic.
I'm really proud of you.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric