PDA

View Full Version : Throwing too much money at recovery.........?

RobyBaggio18
03-11-05, 14:39
Since I was diagnosed for a repapse at the end of June I have spent £50 on anxiety books, £300 on hypnotherapy, £20- £30 on relaxtion cd's. All this money was saved up for my driving lessons. That makes me feel awful.

I also feel I dont have a set plan for action and im going round in circles. Ive got counselling and hopefully NLP lined up but at the moment I'm just plodding along and Ive spent a lot of money.

I've got another book on the way and was considering Meg's cd set. Just feel lost in a world of information and not much better for it. [V]

desperate
03-11-05, 16:04
Hi,

I can relate to this too, since I started down this route i've had some free uni counselling, about £1000 on CBT, £90 on hypnotherapy, prob about £70 on meds and vits and now about £50 a week on therapy, phew! I've also bought borrowed and read lots of things.

I guess sometimes it's a matter of doing rather than reading.

I do see what u mean about the circles though.

First Anxiety...then panic attacks...now GAD and depression...now working on a better future!

tygwyn
03-11-05, 16:53
I think most of us can probably relate to this. We look for an outside cure but in the end the cure can only come from within. Obviously the therapy etc will help to some degree.

I have spent quite a bit on different vitamins (some I haven't used!), bought three books (one of them not read), two CD's (one only listened to once) and was also considering purchasing Megs CD set. I do however have a recovery plan. I am following Claire Weekes 'acceptance' (not easy) and also trying to change my negative thinking (caught myself in this trap this afternoon!). I can see that things are starting to improve - some days good, some days bad, some days really bad but I think over all the good out weighs the bad now (I'm gonna keep telling myself that anyway!). I am exercising every day, which is really helping (cycling in the morning when my anxiety is at its highest) and am getting out of the house a lot so that I'm not sat in brooding.

Good luck with your recovery. We will all get there in the end - we've just gotta be patient (trouble is anxiety and patience don't really work too well together do they!! LOL)

Take care

Rach xxxx

"True acceptance means 'facing and relaxing' - it is submission" (Claire Weekes)

doddy
03-11-05, 17:06
I reckon ive spent around 2000 pounds since i got anxiety 18 months ago, would buy anything and do anything to make it go, but to be honest id spend my money on claire weekes books and audio cassettes, see if meg has some time to give some advice, pop on here every now and again and cbt if you can afford it.

all the books pretty much say the same thing i found, but clare weekes puts it in a nice clear way to understand. and i reckon you could spend thousands and thousands on anxiety but the only person who can make it end is you.

i truly belive that anxiety is a habitual way of thinking that we are all professionals at...lol.....now its time to become professionals at not worrying...hey if we can make our minds worry easily enough then why not change it the other way?? and at the end of the day whatever we are we are all very special kind loving people and that is never a bad thing.

andy

tygwyn
03-11-05, 17:14
Hi Doddy

Nice post! Its always good to hear advice from someone who has recovered.

I was just wondering if you know if you can get Claire Weekes recordings on CD? I was about to order them the other day and realised that I haven't got a cassette player in the house or the car anymore - modern times eh!! lol

Take care

Rach xxxx

"True acceptance means 'facing and relaxing' - it is submission" (Claire Weekes)

doddy
03-11-05, 20:33
Ty,

not sure about the cd's only seen them on audio but u can pick up cassette players for around a tenner on ebay these days.

andy

nomorepanic
03-11-05, 20:53
I too have spent hundreds on recovery but the best thing for me was this forum and I got all the advice, support and encouragement I needed from here.

Let's put it this way I suffered for over 10 years and these last 2 years since I set this forum up I am doing really well.

Most importantly it is free!

Nicola

Trev
03-11-05, 22:38
Nic, I agree.

This forum and website is superb in my opinion. There is all the info you need here. The forum is a massive help. It helps to work with others who know and have been there.
I wish I'd found this site earlier in my recovery.

If I were to have to choose only two things to have to aid recovery it would be a Claire Weekes book and the resources available via this forum.

Cheers,
Trev

RobyBaggio18
04-11-05, 10:56
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Nic, I agree.

This forum and website is superb in my opinion. There is all the info you need here. The forum is a massive help. It helps to work with others who know and have been there.
I wish I'd found this site earlier in my recovery.

If I were to have to choose only two things to have to aid recovery it would be a Claire Weekes book and the resources available via this forum.

Cheers,
Trev

<div align="right">Originally posted by Trev - 03 November 2005 : 21:38:03</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Well thankfully I have both of those, maybe its patients I need. I've never had a great deal of patients and in anxiety its even less.

henri
05-11-05, 22:58
hi there,
this website has definitely been the best in terms of constant support and advice - you could post a thread at 3 in the morning and have a reply by 3.30. it's amazing.
in the meantime, can you persuade your doctor to put you on a waiting list for CBT? that way you'll eventually get the treatment and you won't have to pay. i had 7-8 sessions of CBT and it definitely worked.
take care,
henri x