PDA

View Full Version : Time to go to GP Again...Need advice

DavidJ85
19-10-09, 09:59
Right my anxiety and panic is getting the better of me lately and my symptoms seem to be worsening as days go on.

I'm seeing my doc today at 5.30pm but just not sure how to make him beleive what I have so I've made a list of my symptoms as below:

- Itchy, blurry, puffy and watery eyes
- Color lines, blobs and swirls in visual field
- Dizziness, Light headed and Vertigo
- Pins and needles and tingling in hands, fingers, arms and feet
- Heart palpitations, random heartbeat speed, flutters, chest tightness, hard thumping heartbeat, fear of heart attack
- Ringing ears frequently
- Headaches frequently
- Shortness of breath occasionally
- Nausea
- Aching muscles and limbs
- Temperature waves and changes for no reason
- Depression and random mood swings
- Weak muscles and limbs

I'm thinking of just handing him the list and saying this is what I ACTUALLY suffer from over the course of a month and it's destroying my life. What can be done?

I don't know how you explain this to a GP as I generally do feel like my life is being controlled by these symptoms and it's a vicious circle and I want some sort of relief.

I'm on Propranolol already and they used to work but now they don't seem to do anything anymore and back to being the old me which is bad.

Has anyone got any tips/advice about what to say or how to put this all to my GP this evening?

Does anyone else get all of the above symptoms too or is it just me that's got it bad?

Thanks everyone!

irishguy
19-10-09, 10:12
Yeah im with you on all those symtoms. Nitemare.

DavidJ85
19-10-09, 10:17
It's awful isn't it but how do I talk to my GP about all of this?

pollyanna
19-10-09, 10:20
David

yes i have a selection of those symptoms too, which all come and go.
As far as advice for going to the Gp tonight goes, i would actually hand over the list of symptoms you have aleady written, perhaps in order of most bothersome to least bothersome. I say this because i feel when you go to docs with lots of things they stop listening after the first few, and some times you feel as if they havent listened or you worry that you might have forgotten to mention something, this way they can read through it in black and white, and then discuss it with you. I have found that this has worked better for me in the past, you only have a very short time with them and you went to get everything across, but i find that usually i am so anxious by the time i get there, i am all jumbled and so are my thoughts, and then when i start to speak, i digress.
I hope this is useful to you, I feel for you as it is not a nice place to be in, but let us know how your appointment goes

P x

DavidJ85
19-10-09, 10:33
Some very good ideas there.

He'll probably say the same thing as always "Oh it's side effects of your propranolol" and no matter how many times I say it's not he'll just say "ah you're just stressed."

Just don't know how to get through to them

irishguy
19-10-09, 10:38
Giving your GP the list is probably the best idea . When i first approached my GP with my symptoms he said i bombarded him which looking back now i probably did.

Dan1
19-10-09, 10:51
Yes, I'd give your GP the list too. I can't count the number of times i've been to see my GP to tell her something, only to completely forget or not feel comfortable to tell her - so once I wrote her a little letter explaining everything and just handed it to her. It certainly worked - she went through every issue i'd made, and said that I should do the same in the future if I ever needed to.

DavidJ85
19-10-09, 11:33
Ok I'll certainly give him the list and I think I'll highlight the ones I'm worried about and effect me most.

I'm almost certain he'll just disregard it though. I know it!

PanicMan
19-10-09, 12:01
The list is a good idea I did that the first time I went to the doctor when my HA started as it had beaten me down and I knew I would break down (which I did) and forget half of my symptoms and when I leave remember them and start to panic maybe they may have been the important ones in which case the doctors re-assurance ceases to reasure me. He said it was a good idea too and once they start asking you questions its easy to forget something.

I have to go to the docs in the next day or two and have my list ready:

- Sore right side above waist for 10 days that can move to the front or back right side.
- Sore chest (had a cold last week that has mainly cleared but chest still sore)
- Found some brown freckles/spots near my right nipple that may be new or not.
- Have had a swollowiing phlem feeling for last 6 weeks or so and when I wake up alway bring up yellow phlem that then becomes clear after a few minutes or so.

A few weeks back a felt what I thought was a lump in my stomach that appears to be just a muscle now as I dont really tend to feel myself too much but instantly C jumped into my head and has set up residence in my every waking thought and every pain or ache I have I trying to think what form of it I have or I have every form and am riddled so for me a list is essential, I even got pink eye over the weekend which is on my list now and Im trying to figure how that ties into everything else I feel.

I think your GP will be quite pleased if you hand over the list as they should be able to address everything much quicker for you

DavidJ85
19-10-09, 12:17
Well fingers crossed to us both we get somewhere with our lists and doctors but I'll be sure to report back.

Dazo
19-10-09, 13:30
I have had all of those symptoms the last week, i have felt so awful and i cant understand how anxiety can do this. My old HA fears has come back really hard and my sleep is bad too.
I am scared that i will never be better, that i am dying, yes alot of things scares me now and the symptoms just comes back all the time.
I met my GP and he said it can only be anxiety but as always i have my doubts.

I hope things go well for you.

DavidJ85
19-10-09, 13:31
Thanks Dazo, I'm terrified I'm going to have a HA too. Literally petrified.

I just wonder what my GP will say. He often doesn't believe me.

sammyj
19-10-09, 13:35
I am going to the doctor on wednesday and I too have actually made a list, I just dont want to leave anything out and when I am am on the spot to tell the doctor "what can she do for me today" I just know I will forget. My symptoms are so infrequent though, this is whats tough for me. There is nothing really consistent, one day its something, then another day something else...then a few days later that thing that bugged me last week will be back.....I just dont know.....Is this classic anxiety??And my other concern is if I go with a list of twenty different things wrong...where on earth does the doctor begin??

DavidJ85
19-10-09, 13:41
These are the the same concerns as me Sammy. What does the doctor say when he/she sees all those symptoms. Ermm...you're as good as dead? lol.

I'm sure you have classic anxiety though :) x

mumof4
19-10-09, 13:45
the list is agreat idea when i go and see my doc or when she phones i forget about half the things that is worrying me so i often have to calll her and tell her more.

my doc is great and very understanding and takes time to explain and does test to resure me that im fine.

she doesnt just say anxiety and thats it as she knows that doesnt help me so she takes time and takes some blood just resure me im fine.

goodluck and let us know how u get on.

sammyj
19-10-09, 15:11
DavidI hope thats all it is, I hate going to the doctors but I feel if I want to do something to help myself I need to go.Like now I am feeling fine, went out for lunch felt positive....but its like I am always on edge...just waiting for something to happen and when it does I freak and go back to square one!

DavidJ85
19-10-09, 15:35
I'm exactly the same Sammy. I'll always have bouts where I think ooh I feel great today and appreciate them until the next time!

sammyj
19-10-09, 16:42
its frustrating, I am trying to keep some perspective. It makes me sad sometimes and I feel like I actually hold back from enjoying myself in case it doesnt last, almost like whats the point, you know

DavidJ85
19-10-09, 21:11
Right well report back from the GP...

I went in and showed the doc my list of symptoms, he was very understanding and read them all carefully.

He has decided to put me on Cipralex? Does anyone else here use that?

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100004710.html

That's a link to the medicine I've been described to take 10mg once a day and tbh with all of the side effects that come with it I'm a little apprehensive so would like to hear if anyone else has used it before.

Other than that he said he was sure it's anxiety and told me all about what Cipralex does but I'm still a little worried as it says it can worsen your symptoms the first few weeks which I can't be doing with...

What do you guys think?

pollyanna
19-10-09, 21:29
David

I am glad to hear that you appointment with your doctor went well and that taking your list had a positive outcome , although i understand your concerns about the medication he prescribed, i have never taken these particular ones myself , so therfore cant comment but i am sure someone else will be able to help you out with that one .
Best wishes

Pauline x

DavidJ85
19-10-09, 21:35
The worry about this new med has put my anxiety symptoms up a mega notch at this very moment in time.

I have a stinging, tingly fingers, legs, arms, toes, all my nerves are on end and I feel strange :(

pollyanna
19-10-09, 21:52
David

I can understand that, i have felt like this many times over the years with changes in medication etc I am particulary fearful of taking medications of any kind and in fact anything medical.
I know your anxiety will be heightened just now, but it cant be any worse than what you are going through right now, and in the longer term your quality of life could be greatly improved.

I have had a lot of anxiety myself today, i had to go through a minor surgical procedure today, i think i did very well when i was there, well compared to when i was there in june and was hysterical, crying etc, but since ive come home i have been very anxious, lightheaded, dizzy, feeling my pulse constantly, i am afraid to go to bed and go to sleep right now, so i am working on my anxiety, trying to distract myself being on here, and i am quite sure this has nothing to do with the procedure, and all to do with my anxiety, so i am desperatley trying to get this into my head right now, so believe me i know how difficult it is.:scared15:

P x

DavidJ85
19-10-09, 22:21
Well done for getting through the surgery well!

I'm always checking my pulse, I thought it was just me, nice to not be alone on that one :)

I'm thinking of not going on the meds just now and trying the herbal version (St Johns Wort) to see if that's ok first of all.

What do you think?

pollyanna
19-10-09, 22:30
well, i have never tried st johns wort either, but we all must do what we feel is best for us, i believe any medication is only part of the answer, most of the answer comes from within ourselves , and meds just help us along the way.
I think if you are keen to try st johns wort, i would have a plan and a time scale in mind, and review it after that period of time, if it works great, if not perhaps time to try something else.
Whatever you decide , i wish you all the best, keep us up to date on your progress..

Px

DavidJ85
19-10-09, 22:37
Thankyou Polly you are lovely :)

I shall try the St John's Wort as soon as I'm sure it can work along side my beta blockers and keep visiting this site and hopefully we'll all get there soon!

:) x

Irish-Artist
19-10-09, 22:39
I get them all ...
my advice, WRITE DOWN AN EXACT LIST OF WHAT TO ASK YOUR DOCTOR ... bring it and read through it. Be precise and go through the whole list.

hope all goes well, Ive posted some tips on coping if you look them up,

Best wishes, Samuel:shades:

Irish-Artist
19-10-09, 22:41
well, i have never tried st johns wort either, but we all must do what we feel is best for us, i believe any medication is only part of the answer, most of the answer comes from within ourselves , and meds just help us along the way.
I think if you are keen to try st johns wort, i would have a plan and a time scale in mind, and review it after that period of time, if it works great, if not perhaps time to try something else.
Whatever you decide , i wish you all the best, keep us up to date on your progress..

Px

Be careful of St Johns Wort - it may be natural but it is still powerful medicine. I wouldnt personally ...

DavidJ85
20-10-09, 09:04
Hmm maybe I won't touch St John's Wort. I'm just really not wanting to touch this cipraflex as apparantly it can make you a LOT worse and I can't be coping with that. I've just recently got a new job and it's a long drive and apparantly it can effect you a lot.

Welsh.Baz
20-10-09, 13:42
Every kind of medication you can be given for anxiety/depression will make you feel worse before you feel better, it's just part of the group of medications that they belong too!

DavidJ85
20-10-09, 13:44
Hmm Propranolol's never had a bad effect on me though.