PDA

View Full Version : health anxiety. i cant go on!

februarystars
19-10-09, 17:50
Hi, i think i suffer from health anxiety/health phobia. for a couple of years now i have thought ive had an illness which i will die of. It comes and goes, but when its there it is awful. Ive thought ive had leukemia, pulmonary hypertension, brain tumor behind my eye, asthma, bone cancer, cervical cancer etc! at the moment i think i have fluid in my lungs. im going to the doctors about it on wednesday, if i stay alive before then! part of me knows it might be stupid, but theres another side of me which doesn't. i think i have this because since june i have had a problem where i feel my lungs wont stretch enough for me to get enough air. it gets worse with a bit of exercise, and occasionally im gasping for air but cant get it. ive been to the doctor about this before and he gave me a blood test and it was all fine, but i feel its gotten worse in the last week. perhaps its because its what stephen gately died from! arghhhh im going mad. i dont want to leave my room and see anyone. i cant do this anymore!!

hi everyone, i hope this will help me. i hope everyone is well. thanks, byee x

nomorepanic
19-10-09, 17:53
Hi februarystars

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

RosieXXX
19-10-09, 18:10
Hello februarystars,

Welcome to nmp. Health anxiety is a difficult conditon to cope with, and sometimes it becomes impossible for us to think rationally. Counselling can help, so it would be worth asking your doctor for some help in that direction. You will find lots of people here who understand your fears, and will be able to offer great support.

leelee100
19-10-09, 19:18
heY,

Sorry your feeling so low. I know, health anxiety can be awfull!! And even when we try to rationalize we simply cant. Its so hard putting things in perspective. What i would say is.. you simply cannott have all the things you have listed. One week its cancer the next its a tumor...try and remind yourself of the conditions you have fixated on. And think...i wonder what it will be next week?! Thats what i try and do. I know its difficult especially when you have physical symptoms. But, the reason you cant breath is all this stress and worry. It manifests itself in so many different ways. You dont know it but i suspect all that tension is whatscausin it. Tryand shallow breathe, so you can feel your breath go all the way to your tummy. I have severe health anxiety and panic.. sometimes i feel so nauseus its horrific..other times i feel like i cant breath. Other days its cramps, then i feel so run down and exhausted from it all that i then think i have glandular fever or m.e! im nuts! Hope u feel better soon.x