PDA

View Full Version : Panic attack - long term sufferer offers tips on coping

Irish-Artist
19-10-09, 21:13
Hello, Ive suffered for 16 years now and thought Id try and make a positive contribution to the forum by describing my various techniques and tricks to get me through the day ...

1 Times Crossword Club Online ... print off the times crossword each morning. Keep it at hand and its a good way to constructively turn of your mind and keep you focused when needed. 25 pounds a year sounds lots, but works out much much cheaper than buying the times every day!!
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/games_and_puzzles/crossword/

2 If Im havign an attack that is quite bad, and I am lying down, I put my hands between my knees/legs and start to shake a my legs. It really helps ... try it. It means the mind cant focus upon the heart beating and is a way to focus and release slowly the nervous energy that has built up.

3 Leave the house once a day - STRICT! Even if its down to the front gate and back, leave once a day. I mean that, some days I cant make it very far, but SO MANY DAYS I feel awful, REALLY AWFUL, and after getting dressed and opening the front door the momentum carries me on a short walk and I feel so much better.

4 Radio. Radio 4 is great to have on when cooking. Good company and intelligent chat, its important that its not a music channel as this way you actually think as the programmes play in the background.

5 Church. It doesnt matter if you're not the religious type, I find Christian people who really care about someone in need. You need to trust your instinct though, as there are some people who are downright dangerous to be getting involved with. Just try and meet an elderly Christian, non assuming, who genuinely cares that there is a 'neighbour' who is suffering. Even if you do nothing more than a phonecall a fortnight, its still one more positive thing in your universe

Irish-Artist
19-10-09, 21:22
6 Give up caffine. Get through your week of cold turkey and get used to camomile. Also remember sugar is like a mild form of speed, so go easy on that too. For more on diet an AMAZING site is Dr McDougalls site - I couldnt recommend it enough ... a good diet will go a long way towards getting you feeling more alert and active.:yesyes:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/

7 Uplifting or calming music - music is a tool with which we can alter our mood instantly. Music can calm ... it also can make depression SO much worse (Im thinking radiohead here!!) So be careful in choosing what you listen to as it has more of an effect on your life experience than you probably are aware.

8 My final hint is to regulate your bedtime. I go to bed and have lights off by 10.30, and radio goes off at 11pm. Ok, so I have 3 boys to deal with, and Im sure others may want more of a night life, but Im SURE that the body enjoys and works best with a regular sleeping pattern. I cant sleep some nights for hours, but the body rests all the same. Its helped tremendously since Ive stuk to it, especially with kids being involved, they have no mercy at 7am!!:scared15:

WHY DONT THOSE WHO READ THIS THREAD ADD SOME LITTLE COPING MECHANISMS FOR OTHERS TO READ ...