PDA

View Full Version : Ayup fellow sufferers!

shuze
20-10-09, 11:52
Hi, I'm 45, and have what has variously been described to me as mild or acute anxiety. I've suffered with a stutter since about 11 years old, and it has had a huge influence on my life, as has my general anxiety.

Naturally quiet, people would describe me as intelligent, friendly but reserved. Despite the stutter, I make friends easily, I have a very good job, and a wonderful life.

In fact many who meet me don't even realise about the stutter for a while, because I've become so adept at masking it. But make no mistake it is there.

The anxiety/stutter only really becomes a big problem at work. Big meetings and presentations are, as you can imagine, a big challenge.

I've tried CBT (marginal success), excercise (a big help), beta-blockers (really effective) and finally, facing up to my fears and just doing it (some success). Unfortunately, I've also used alcohol to excess for some time.

But overall, I've learned to accept who I am, to understand & manage my condition, and enjoy life most of the time.

Anyway, that's me. I've been reading some of the posts on here and I'm struck by the sense of camaraderie. I hope I can help by sharing some personal experiences, especially with anyone younger in a similar situation.

nomorepanic
20-10-09, 11:54
Hi shuze

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

diane07
20-10-09, 19:49
A huge warm :welcome: to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

best wishes

di xx

Veronica H
21-10-09, 08:29
:welcome:shuze. Glad that you have found us.

Veronica

mandyclare
21-10-09, 09:12
Hi : )

You seem to have a great positive attitude and im sure that will really help inspire others on the site.

Mand