PDA

View Full Version : have been given propranolol

Nicky123
20-10-09, 12:59
Hello. I went to see the doctor yesterday because that terrible feeling came back in my chest. I have gone quite a few weeks without that feeling and then for some reason over the past two weeks its gradually come back. My heart feels really jittery. My heart feels its pumping more.. and I feel like I get a sudden rush,, like when your nervous or excited about something. My doctor listened to my chest because i felt a sore throat coming on and my chest felt heavy. I told her that I had had this for a few days now. She said my chest was fine and we talked about the propraqnolol. She was very happy to give me it once i had admitted to her ( which was incredibly hard for me to do) that I also had OCD.

She has given me 80mg and I have to take one a day, I took the first one when i got back from docs and last night in bed I didnt have the feeling. I woke up this morning with no feeling in my chest...had some toast and then took my pill.. and about an hour later... its back...its still there and its almost 1pm. Am I expecting too much. What if I have not got anxiety and t here is something wrong with my heart???

Nicky123
20-10-09, 13:19
ive googled. and now going nuts. you get these anxiety feelings with a blood clot on the lung. im terrified... what if its something sinister like that

valleybear
20-10-09, 13:43
Nicky...do not google!! You do not have a clot on the lung, you have just been examined by a doctor who , I am sure, would have detected that. These feelings are caused by anxiety and we have all experienced them. The propanalol will help, but may take a few days to really make a difference. I take those for the very same thing...mine were prescribed by a cardiologist, for ectopics, flutterings and 'rushing anxiety feelings' in my chest. Really Nicky, you should begin to feel better soon...try to relax and let the meds do their job. Take care hon, and please try not to google!!:hugs:

Nicky123
20-10-09, 13:58
thankyou... your post helps. can i ask you about your feelings in your chest? my chest feels like a washing machine on a mild spin. I keep feeling I need to take a deep breath and breath out. When i climb the stairs i feel my heart really beat? is this all normal? my doctor never really talked to me about my feellings.. I got chance to tell her bits and then she was listning to my chest and taking my temp and getting me to blow into a tube....Nicky

Nicky123
20-10-09, 13:59
I promise I wont google again.. :)

Nicky123
21-10-09, 16:01
I am having another bad day and in tears again. The feeling is still there in my chest. I know that being anxious and nervous comes witha blood clot. something is going on in my chest i am sure of it. if this was anxiety then the propanalol should of started working by now yes? i take one a day and I am on my third day..i am worried sick

Dolan1989
21-10-09, 16:49
I'm on propananol and it takes up to 2 months to really kick in, think it might even say that on the leaflet. try and remember that it is only medication for something that is primarily a mental issue.my doctor told me that the propanonal would work by taking the edge of my anxiety, which it definately does as I don't get in to half as bad a state as I used to. However, the rest of the work is up to you.

When you feel it coming on, try not to dwell on it, read a book, take a bath or anything. concetrating on it just makes it seem worse than it really is.

Nat x

stinazap
21-10-09, 17:00
Hiya ive had the exact same feeling just several weeks ago, my heart was pounding, my throat was dry and like u said my stomach felt like a washing machine! I was also given propranolol as i was really panicking and due to go to Turkey for my hols, i took them 6 days before my hols and then for the week i was away and 4 days coming home, they hadnt changed the way i was feeling so i went back to see a different doctor in floods of tears and they have now put me on citalopram which is an anti depressant for anxiety and ive been to see a counseller to just chat with, its really been helping and apart from the odd flutter ive been a new person, have the confidence to go back to the doctors and just tell them you feel they aren't working as quick as you'd like, they took me off them straight away as not everyone reacts to them, good luck xx

Fran74
21-10-09, 18:16
Hi Nicky don't google don't google I did have a pain few months ago ..I felt like a knife in the side of my lung ..so I panicked as couldn't take deep breath so I google it ...well I was in tears with all the stuff that came up..I called NHS direct eventually and the nurse was so nice and told me that if one of my lungs had collapsed (that was what I thoght happend)I wouldn't be able to breath..still wasnt conviced so went to the walk in emergency centre..it turns out that I had pulled a muscle as the weekend before I had been to a hen due and a pole dancing lesson was organised ...so the doctor said it must be that then ..I felt so stupid..heheh
I get similar symptons when I am anxious..my heart races ..then I get funny beats.. but my doctor says is just anxiety..but if you are not conviced just ask your doctor to send you for an ECG so you can put your mind at rest.
Take care :hugs:

Fra

Nicky123
22-10-09, 11:50
hello. Early hours I ended up in A&E. I woke at four am with chest pain.. right shoulder blade pain.. difficulty breathing and pins and needles in my right hand. I went to A&E on the advice of the NHS help line. I was given an ECG which they said was fine.. she listened to my lungs and told me they sounded clear. I told her about the propranolol and she told me they should start to work about the fourth day which is today. She said she thought I maybe had a cold coming on and on top of the Anxiety I was feeling worse. So.. I got home... at 6am... really calmed down.. felt great until... I took my propranolol. I have a sharp stabbing pain to the right of my chest. just wondered if anyone else had this whilst taking it? I feel a lot better now I have been checked out but was a little disappointed when this pain started earlier.

Nicky123
25-10-09, 08:47
hello... went to doctors because feeling was getting worse in my chest and turning into alot of pain. Clevage really hurt to touch.. turns out.. my sternum is inflamed and she thinks thats what has been causing the feelings in my chest.. she is keeping me on the pills to see how i go.. and were hoping that this was not a bad few days of axiety and hoping it was this problem coming on instead.