PDA

View Full Version : Going back to work.......

DawnUK
25-01-04, 19:31
Hi everyone,
I've just had 3 weeks off work due to panic attacks and anxiety. Including the Christmas holidays, I haven't been at work for 5 weeks now. I haven't had a bad panic attack for over a week now, but I still feel really anxious, tired, shaky, tearful, etc. alot of the time. Going back to work tomorrow but really worried about it as my job is stressful and pressurized at the best of times (I'm the exams officer for a college). Just the thought of speaking to the public makes me feel nervous, let alone dealing with tricky situations, meeting deadlines, taking complaints, etc., etc. :(

Does anyone have any good tips on how to deal with going back to work after a bad episode of PAs/anxiety? [?]

Cheers me dears :D

nomorepanic
25-01-04, 19:39
Hi Dawn

Does anyone know why you were off and that you have panic? If they do then they may be more sympathetic.

Not sure if this is possible or not but I had a month off once and then went back part-time for 2 weeks - just worked afternoons. Could you do this?

Perhaps you can sit your boss down and tell him/her that you are worried and could you do things slowly at first.

Anyway, well done to you for going back - that is a big step and you should be proud that you have managed to do it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes

Nicola

DawnUK
25-01-04, 19:53
Thanx Nic. I'll try my best, but if I can't cope, I'll just have to come home again!

My boss and the lady I work with both know. My colleague is wonderful, and my boss has been OK so far (although TBH seemed more concerned that I get my docs certificate to him than in what was actually wrong with me!). I dare say he'll want to have a chat with me anyway, so I'll just have to try to explain to him exactly how I feel, without bursting into tears, LOL! Reduced hours would help alot though, coz doing anything at the mo knackers me out!

I'll let you know how it goes and thanks for the tips :)

jonny
25-01-04, 20:26
Hey dawn,

I agree with nic you really should sit down and talk with your employer they will (or should be) more sympathetic than you think. They do have a duty of care towards you and should give you all the support you need, in fact my employer was concerned that they had contributed to my illness and were really helpful! If you don't say anything then they can't help.
To be honest you may find that getting back to work will help you to recover, it sure beats sitting home all day mulling things over and over. I am often reluctant to get out of bed in the morning but i know that within an hour at work i will be fine. I suppose its the distraction thing.
Also anxiety is really more about the build up to the event than the reality of it. You may worry now, this evening, but you may find that when you get there you will wonder why you worried about it at all.

Jon

I used to be extremely indecisive but now I am not so sure...

sarah
25-01-04, 20:34
Hiya Dawn
I had 6 weeks off work when this first started with me. Everyone knew about it, i didnt keep it a secret and fortunately i worked with a great bunch of people who did everything they could to help me without going over the top (if you know what i mean).
I started back doing half days for a couple of weeks and increasing my hours till i was back full time. I felt terrible but its such a relief to be back doing 'normal' things that i think you will be ok.
My boss just seemed to want my doc's certificates too and i was terrified of what she would say when i got back but she was amazing (she's normally not very tolerant of anything) so you never know, your boss may just surprise you!!!
good luck going back tomorrow!!
love Sarah
xx

jonny
26-01-04, 16:52
Sarah,

My bosses are pretty much the same, showing far more understanding that i expected.
Why do you think that is?

Is it because we are naturally nervous and fear the worst anyway so we seem to think their reaction is overly understanding?
Life and Society are becoming more caring and tolerant anyway?

maybe people are nice because the are scared of making us cry!

Jon

I used to be extremely indecisive but now I am not so sure...

sarah
26-01-04, 17:05
Hiya

I think you are right Jon. Yes we do always fear the worst, and they probably are worried about making us cry and the ones who dont seem to care and are seemingly hard nosed probably have no idea how to treat us, so are just indifferent so they dont have to deal with us.

love Sarah
xx