PDA

View Full Version : HUGE panic attack yday in work... TERRIFIED of going back! :(

fairyclairy
20-10-09, 19:25
Hey,
Well iv been a panic attack/anxiety sufferer for the past 10 years now, since i was 11! Iv had alot of help and support over the years and eventually managed to control it and get on with life..

Recently, i have finished uni and in the last couple of weeks started a new full time job, which means im an hour away from home (which i struggle with) along with a number of other situations i have to be in which i struggle with..

Iv coped with and managed my panic attacks for the first couple of weeks and thought i was starting to relax into the job, but yesterday i had a HUGE one!! Worse than iv ever had in the whole 10 years of having them! It was totally out of the blue, which scared me even more. I was stood in the office talking and suddenly felt like i was gona pass out.. a whole weird sensation rushed round my body and i jus felt like i needed to collapse! I immediately jus ran out the office and went outside! Everyone was fantastic about it and understood completely, but it scared me so much... has anyone else had anything like that?? I have a fear of fainting and it really terrified me..

I stayed off work today cos i thought i felt ill this morning (but was prob the panic of knowing i had to return) but im back in tomorrow and im absolutly dreading it!! I really dont want it to happen again, it made me feel like a right mental person infront of all my colleages!

Please let me know if any of u has had anything similar? cos at the moment, im trying to convince myself it was panic bt im thinking that it could be something else and that im really ill or something!! jus need reassurance that it was jus panic!! :unsure: x

candee86
20-10-09, 19:30
Hello Fairy :)

Im sorry to hear about what happened but funnily enough im going through exactly the same thing! I have managed to cope for a few years now but have suddenly started getting the panic again and it happened at work :( and now im avoiding work...i keep going back in in dribs and drabs and nothing else has happened at work but I am still scared...but I am terrbile with avoidance and not facing the fear which I know is what you need to get better.

It is just panic....I get exactly the same fainting sensation and also have a fear of fainting :( but the best thing to do is get back to work before you get too worried about it because you will go in tomorrow and realise it is not as bad as you thought and will get on fine :) You sound so similar to me though hehe...its a pain this panic thing lol.

I am on MSN or you can PM if you need to chat to anyone :)
Hope Ive helped a bit.
Candy xx
candyatkinson@hotmail.co.uk

lnew
20-10-09, 19:33
Hi Fairyclairy,

Really feel for you, sorry you've had a bad experience recently. It IS just panic, we say just though but it is really awful when it happens and no logic gets through at that moment.

I have had a couple of small ones at work recently but have just about managed to control them, am also scared of fainting especially when I'm on my own.

Hope you feel better tonight, try to relax and watch TV or read and take your mind off worrying.

bigglesuk
20-10-09, 20:13
Had the same thing at work. Are you on any medication? perhaps a trip to the drs is in order?
I hope you feel better soon.

mandie
20-10-09, 20:53
hi

sorry to hear about yr panic attack. I had 2 at work like that and i had never had one before like it and was so scared.

i had this horrible weird feeling all through my body and felt like i was gonna pass out or die

I was having trouble with a nasty boss which is y i think they started at work.

It really does sound like panic

love mandie x

mandyclare
20-10-09, 21:12
First of all congratulations on your new job : )

It sounds like a classic panic attack and of course with all the new changes you have had to deal with it is quite understandable.

It's great that your new work colleagues were so good to you.. that must be a big help.. and in a way it may be a positive thing because at least now they know you have a problem with panic attacks you don't need to hide it.. Sometimes being able to tell the people you spend time with that you suffer from this lessens the problems.

Go back in tomorrow, hold your head high, thank the people that were supportive and tell them you are so glad that if it should ever happen again you know people there are caring and kind. That will make them feel good and warm to you even more.

You have acheived so much please try not to worry because im sure once you settle down so will the panics.

Good luck and take care

Mand x

junie7
20-10-09, 21:13
Hi Fairy,
I've only been having panic attacks for 7 weeks and I had the same symptons as you the first time I had one. Did you have palpitations as well?
It was the scariest thing that has ever happenned to me and I was in Marks & Spencers food hall at the time on their busiest day (Saturday) and was taken to hospital in an ambulance.
Have you tried Bach's remedies. I can't be without that now as it really helps take the edge off any symptons.

Be strong.

Junie

fairyclairy
24-10-09, 11:09
Thankyou for all your support!
Made it in work and struggled sooo much, panic really did give it all its got! It was such a tough day but i made myself get through it and stayed in work. It was completely draining but im glad i did it cos the next day was better.. so hopefully next week will be even better! x

candee86
24-10-09, 12:26
Well done fairy :) So pleased for you :)

I just need to lead by your example now and go back hehe x

lc2613
24-10-09, 23:32
completely relate to you, definately a panic attack triggered by all the changes even if you feel ok anxiety can lay in your subconcience. one bit of advice go back to work and face your demon if you dont problems will start i am agraphobic after my last panic attack due to fear of it happening again so be strong and maybe go and see your doc hope the new job goes well and good luck! x