PDA

View Full Version : Had my first CBT session feel dissapointed :( advice please!

meg86
21-10-09, 11:04
Hello :)

I have suffered from anxiety for 2 years, i have more Generalised Anxiety Disorder than the panic side of things, i used to have alot of panic and was terrified to leave the house etc but i learnt to over come this on my own :).

I am always obsessing and worrying about something to a point where my mind doesnt get a break, its draining, i believe these fears and they well and truelly consume me be it Health Anxiety, or natural disaster you name it but my mind will not think logically and i feel its ruining my life, the joy is zapped out of everyday because of my thinking habit.

I had my first CBT session yesterday, and it was more like a introduction, she explained what anxiety is how it makes us feel but it was pretty much entirely based on the panic side and being afraid to leave the house etc

At the end i felt this would have helped me 2 years ago but not now!! anxiety has so many different factors in my opinion and i was surprised how much it was narrowed down.

At the end i told the therapist that i suffer from GAD instead of panic, i said i dont necessarily have triggers my mind is just full of worry all the time. And then she said to me "did you discuss this on your first appointment?" and i said yes and i advised her that i suffered alot from Health Anxiety.

Obviously in CBT there isnt more than one anxiety group but im worried that my particular problem isnt going to get mentioned, she said that they go into Health Anxiety a bit! what does that mean :ohmy:

Yes i used to be scared of going out and going to supermarkets and have panic attacks but my anxiety has evolved from that.

I would be grateful to hear of peoples experiences with CBT who have GAD :(

Thanks for reading xxx

audio_hype
21-10-09, 11:22
the post has just come through the letter box and my heart literally skipped a beat!
I am anxious / tense/ uptight ALL the time.
my thoughts continually whir through my head so fast I cant always even connect with each thought.
I live in a world full of anxiety and worry.
wear there is fear and misery and I am truely exhausted.

Meg,
I am sorry you feel your first appt didnt go aw well as hoped.
If your anything like me.
well, so to speak, then you have lives in this hyped up stated for such a long time, along comes a cure and you feel that all will be sorted.
someone to finally listen and understand.
well they will get there.
someone will listen, I am, but I find it hard too.
Keep at it and good luck
its not easy but you went to your appointment, for someone who was scared of leaving this house, I must say big achievemnet.
ruthy

JohnLuke300
21-10-09, 11:35
Hi Meg,

I did CBT 6 months ago and my therapist had no idea what social phobia was. But the thing is even though anxiety affects us in different ways, the mechanisms that create and maintain it are the same. That is why CBT is used to treat anxiety as a group, it doesn't need to be more specific. I found the CBT to be very effective but you have to accept it and practice it. And you have to be patient as the impact of it will not happen overnight.

Take care,

John

Twinsmummy
21-10-09, 13:04
Hello Meg
Thank you for your kind reply on my post :)

I am sorry you didn't feel like the therapist understood what you were trying to get at. When it is something so huge for you, you need to feel as though you are being listened to and I'm sure you have been pinning your hopes on this appointment to feel some sort of breakthrough or relief.

This may come in time, I think maybe more and more is revealed as time goes on and hopefully she will listen more carefully and try and understand more. Maybe write down the most important feelings or worries you have that you want her to understand before your next appointment, it is harder to brush over them when they are in black and white :winks:.

I wish you all the best.
Caroline x

meg86
21-10-09, 15:59
Thank you for the kind replys :)

I will keep at it, it was only a introduction so i do need to give it chance :)

I did have very high expectations and i should know better than anyone that things dont get resolved in one day.

Your replys have made me feel alot better about the situation though so thanks xx

juls
21-10-09, 20:00
hi meg just wanted to say i finished a course of CBT a while ago and like you was disappointed after the first appointment but i stuck with it and im so glad i did cos it really did help me it wasnt easy but so worthwhile good luck and hope you feel better about it after your next appointment

lauras
21-10-09, 20:57
Hi
I have my first session of CBT tomorrow, i have heard good things.
I am worried it will make me panic more, as i am feeling ok at the moment.
Anyone had good results?