PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone (New member) Electroflux here

electroflux
25-01-04, 22:10
Hi everyone,

Just thought I would introduce myself

I am still getting over what I call my third breakdown, since my Wife left me and married again, my Father died and I lost my job all in the same year. Things are slowly getting better but the panic attacks are always hovering there in the background. I never realised how many other people have panic attacks too. That is the thing though, people look fine on the outside but on the inside it is a totally different story!

I think this is a fantastic website. So very helpful in a way to know that I am not alone. I was also struck by the similarities in problems/panic attacks. My first panic attack was in my car on the A1 Motorway near Letchworth, UK, 14 years ago. I had no idea what was going on and literally thought I was dying! When I finally persuaded someone to phone for an ambulance, the ambulance crew wanted to take me home and gave me a paper bag to breathe into! I thought they were mad! I'm dying here! Of course I know better now but even after 14 years, it is still fresh in my mind.

I still have problems with driving, especially long distance....traffic jams? No thank you! Shopping queues? Horrible! No one else to do the shopping for me now, so I have to do it or I will starve!

There are so many similarities as I read the story’s, it is almost as if people are talking about me!

I also have a problem with being with people, even just in a conversation I am fighting off a panic attack! Small rooms with lots of people in....I want to run out of the room! Very hard when I am in my group therapy twice a week!

I have been through various and numerous counselling sessions over the years and various drug therapies. I also found Shotokan Karate and although I had to have a break from it for a while ( I could not bear to stay in the training hall! ), I have been doing it again now for 2 years and find it very therapeutic. Whenever I train I get peace of mind for 2 or 3 hours doing my Karate. It literally has been a lifesaver from this last breakdown.

Through my various counselling sessions I have met many people with similar problems but never before have I heard of people with such similar circumstances/panic attack triggers.

Viewing the website today has affected me so much that I could not help myself in joining.

I hope I can be of some help to others and maybe I can get some extra help myself?

Thanks

Electroflux

Meg
25-01-04, 22:25
Welcome Electroflux,

Good to see you've already had a good search around and found some similar circumstances to your own,it's so helpful. The search facility is good on the forum.

Please post as and when something jumps out at you either to ask for further information or advice or to suggest something that you've tried.

I'm so pleased to hear about your positive experiences with Shotokan Karate. Martial arts is something I recommend often especially for blokes and teenagers. It'd be great to hear more about it from you.

Take care

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

benoo5
25-01-04, 23:22
hi matey,

like you,ime a divorced male,and although i dont suffer panic,i do know that a marriage breakup,is one of the worst things in the world,to cope with.

youve arrived at a good site,and as meg says,its great that youve had a good look around....nicola,and charlie,will both tell you,how regular exercise has helped them,in their recovery...so do keep it up,and try to get some gym work in,as well.

i honestly believe,that anyone new to this site,will with a bit of effort,show a marked improvement in their condition,within three months.

keep reading,keep posting...good luck....bryan.

emo
25-01-04, 23:48
hiya electroflux
welcome aboard!
i only found this site a few weeks ago and already ive had so much invaluable advice,i couldn't believe it when i found this site and realised that other people are the same as me,i spent years thinking i was going mad!!
keep posting and take care
love emma xxxx

red
26-01-04, 10:18
Well done electroflux and welcome to the site! Like, you, perhaps in many different ways, people have had loads of 'truck' in their lives which has resulted in us becoming a little bit oversensitive to situations and which have sent our nervous system to overdrive! I'm sorry to hear of your problems but glad to hear your positive stuff to - good going! One major thing I learned from this site, is exactly what you are doing - not avoiding situations which make us feel bad. I had to force myself to go to the gym at times or make myself go for a walk with the dog - but it does get better and better as time goes on. The more that I do it, the better I feel about it - and also I get to reap the benefits of exercise!!!!

Stay with it - you are doing really well and should be very proud of yourself. Take care.

Red
x

nomorepanic
26-01-04, 20:54
Hi Electroflux

I hope you don't mind me telling people that I have in fact met you and you know Alex (my other half).

Good to see you here and I will reply to your email in full.

In the meantime, please make yourself at home and take some advice from all the caring people on here.

Be in touch soon

Nic

P.S. I will get the picture added too - thanks for that.

Nicola

uryjm
26-01-04, 21:31
Hi Electroflux
Always good to see another bloke signing up! Exercise and sport are brilliant stress relievers. I find even the thought of playing golf by the seaside can calm me down.
Keep posting!

Jim

electroflux
26-01-04, 23:21
Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for your support.

As Meg suggests I will write more about the Martial Arts as Shotokan Karate has helped me in many ways. I’m just wondering where it will be best to post it?

I train every day on my own, just for half an hour, plus 3 nights a week in the Dojo (training hall). I have only just got back from Karate now and am worn out but will write something soon.

I think any form of gentle exercise is good for you and will help, wherever you do it, even if you can’t get out.

Once again, thanks everyone

Electroflux

Meg
27-01-04, 15:06
In Top tips I think please Electroflux

Meg

electroflux
27-01-04, 22:35
Ok Meg,

Thanks very much.

I'll put my thinking cap on and put something together soon.

Electroflux

nomorepanic
29-01-04, 22:04
Ken

Alex heard you on the radio tonight - but didn't like to interrupt.

How did you get on driving last night?

Nicola

electroflux
31-01-04, 09:19
Nicola

I think I heard Alex a few days ago but I was out of range of the repeater. It's a shame Alex did not pop up on the repeater and say Hi when he heard me. Never mind.

I got stuck in the snowbound traffic in Stevenage the other night and I thought of you and hoped that you were all ready safe at home. I struggled a bit and almost turned around but by then there was traffic all around me...stationary....very scary. I did not have a panic attack but got very stressed, heart pounding, lump in my throat, feeling I was choking. But I gave myself a good talking to, used some positive thinking, controlled my breathing and finally managed to squeeze the car onto some back roads and worked my way around the traffic and finally back home to "safety".

How did you get on Nic? I hope you got away early and got home without any problems?

Ken

electroflux
31-01-04, 20:49
Meg

As promised I have written more on Shotokan Karate and posted it in top tips.

Thanks

Electroflux

nomorepanic
31-01-04, 21:10
Hi Ken

Well the drive was fairly tiring but no full blown panic so that is great news for me - did you read my post in the "snow" topic - Snow (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=650)

I am so pleased to see that you coped too - it was a bad day wasn't it.

Alex says he will chat next time he catches you on. He doesn't go on much nowadays - too busy with his other website.

Take care

Nicola

stimpy
05-02-04, 00:53
Hi Ken
Very nice to meet you

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

electroflux
05-02-04, 09:00
Hi Liz

Thank you for the greeting and a very interesting one.

"Love,light and best wishes".....? I can't get enough of any of those at the moment!

Thanks

Ken.