PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Gail32
04-11-05, 10:29
hello everyone!

I have registared beacuse i would like anyone's opinion and advice on some medication I have been prescribed a few days ago. I went to my dr as I am feeling low after a bad relationship break up and he has prescribed me something called Citalopram. To be honest i am very nervous about taking them? What do you think ? I keep looking at them but something is stopping me !
Can you help ?

Thanks

Gail

nomorepanic
04-11-05, 10:41
Hi Gail

Welcome aboard.

Have you seen this post ...

Citalopram, Cipramil, Escitalopram & Lexapro (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1949)

Nicola

Gail32
04-11-05, 11:02
Hi
Yeah i have been sittin ghere reading it
I am going off to see a friend this weekend and its a 3 hour drives, so I am a bit nervous about taking one just in case I feel funny, plus the aim was to have a few drinks over the weekend so I think maybe I shuld put it off until Monday and see how I feel again then? Its so hard cos i want my sick feeling to go away and get back to the happy go lucky gail which everyone knows,the question I keep asking myself is, do I need medication to do that? All this over a man, typical ha !! Joking...
Gail

vernon
04-11-05, 11:54
Hi gail most people fully understand what you are saying. Antidepressants can highten the anxiety and depression for a couple of weeks before it makes you feel better, Most people do have some nasty side effects when first starting antidepressants, but not all I didnt realy but my anxiety did get a bit worst for the first few weeks befor I started feeling better. If you could leave the meds over the weekend this probs would be better specialy if you are going to drink It is better if you can I think to try and get as much help as you can and try to do it without meds as its not just starting meds its comming off them wich can be a problem to when the time comes. But dont be put off meds as it does help lost of people too. hope you feel better soon. keep in touch and let us know how you are. Vernon

Gail32
04-11-05, 12:04
Hi Vernon

I really appreciate your reply, its so nice to have someone elses opinion. I just couldnt beleive the amount of side effects and horror stories about this citalopram, it just made me wonder if it was really worth putting myself through more stress! Its fear of the unknown, I just dont want to feel any worse than I do now, I just want to move on with my life and be happy, but at the same time I am so inpatient i want to wake up tomorrow and wonder why on earth I have let myself get so low, and just look back and laugh! I have got such lovely friends and family who are all worried, but why is it that if feels that only the person that hurts you can make you feel better?

Thanks again have a nice weekend

Gail

Piglet
04-11-05, 12:05
Welcome to the site.

Love Piglet:)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

jill
04-11-05, 12:52
Hi Gail

WELCOME TO THE SITE:D

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

When you fear somthing,
learn as much about it as you can.
Knowledge conquers fear.

Gail32
04-11-05, 12:57
Thanks guys nice to know you are there!
Gail xx

trac67
04-11-05, 13:08
Hi Gail,
Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some good friends.

I was on citalopram for 7 years, and they really turned me about and helped me to cope with my anxieties and they stopped my panic attacks completely.

They do however take a few weeks to begin to work, and they can cause a few side effects at first, but if you persevere with them they will help you.

I hope this helps

Take care
Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Gail32
04-11-05, 13:21
Thanks alot for your comments. Can you tell me what side effects you had?
Thanks for replying

Gail x

trac67
04-11-05, 13:48
Hi Gail,
The side effects I suffered where mainly increased anxiety for a few weeks, i.e, dizzyness, light-headedness, palpitations, insomnia, but not to a degree that I couldn't cope with it, and once the side effects calmed down I begun to feel so much better, so feeling slightly worse for a few weeks was well worth it.

Not everyone has side effects thought, different meds affect different people in different ways.

Just do what you feel is the best thing for you hun.
Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Gail32
04-11-05, 13:52
Thing is I know i cant deal with this by myself, one minute i am up then I am down - its stopping myself from trying to get in contact with an ex who has clearly ruined my life, but I cant accept it and just move on... I dont know if medication can help me with this - I am fine in the evenings its when I wake up in the middle of the night and the mornings are pure hell!
Teh last few days i coudlnt get myself out of bed which is so unlike me! and i dont like it at all...
Gail xx

trac67
04-11-05, 13:58
Hi Gail,
It is hard to do this alone, I know that I have done it, if you need a chat at all pm me and i will pass on my msn address to you and i will help you if i can.

Stay positive ok,

Take care
Trac xx

Trev
04-11-05, 15:43
Hi Gail,

Welcome and sorry to hear you are going through it.

I don't want to influence your decision. Just to let you know really that you can do it without anti-depressant meds. I had beta-blockers for a couple of months to bring down the anxiety symptoms but that was it really.

I went from being pretty ougoing and independent to somebody who was scared to go out, constantly tired, not wanting to get out of bed but unable to sleep! Constantly dizzy etc. etc.

Ultimately cure will only come from within you.

Meds can give you some breathing space to tackle that. I don't think that there is necessarily a right or wrong way to go. I don't think you are a better or worse person for taking them or not taking them. I just wanted to let you know that you can choose not to take them and still come out ok in the end. It may just take longer?

All the best,

Trev :)

pinkscrumpy
04-11-05, 18:06
Hi Gail

Welcome aboard

:D:D

MANDIE XX

Will I ever escape this?
Will I ever be free?
Wake me up from this nightmare.
Please just give me the key!

vernon
04-11-05, 20:54
Hi gail again, before you decide to take any antidepressants was just wondering have you suffered long from anxiety? or is it since your bad relationship. This sounds a bit nosey but what I mean is I have suffered on and off for many years and there dont seem to be any trigger to set it off. If you have suffered long period of time maybe meds might help a bit but if this is fairly new to you it would realy be worth trying to tackle it without meds. Cant realy tell who does or dont benefit from meds as all people suffer differently. I sort of wish I had tried longer without antidepressants as I seem to have a hard time comming off them. Tranxs are ok for short term as an alternative to antidepressants but these must be taken very rare and only when you cant take anymore as over time they are very addictive, I did take vallium but only the odd one and only for a couple of weeks when I was realy at my worst. Take care Vernon

Gail32
07-11-05, 09:14
Hello again and tanks to everyone who has very kindly replied to me! You are all such nice people. I have decided to hold off on the medication, I have never been anxious before and always been a happy go lucky person, It is just from a bad relationship that I have been prescribed them and I think I can cope by myself, just getting rid of the problem is the best thing to do. And talking to people like yourselves is going to help me, so thanks again for all your messages of support! Gail xx

Gail32
07-11-05, 15:21
Thanks alot for that Trev

I have decided not to take them, not going to let some nasty person just push me to take tablets I really dont need!! Just accpeting that is the 1st step, need to get on with my life and so many of you have done it and its so nice to hear!
Thanks so much
x

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Gail,

Welcome and sorry to hear you are going through it.

I don't want to influence your decision. Just to let you know really that you can do it without anti-depressant meds. I had beta-blockers for a couple of months to bring down the anxiety symptoms but that was it really.

I went from being pretty ougoing and independent to somebody who was scared to go out, constantly tired, not wanting to get out of bed but unable to sleep! Constantly dizzy etc. etc.

Ultimately cure will only come from within you.

Meds can give you some breathing space to tackle that. I don't think that there is necessarily a right or wrong way to go. I don't think you are a better or worse person for taking them or not taking them. I just wanted to let you know that you can choose not to take them and still come out ok in the end. It may just take longer?

All the best,

Trev :)

<div align="right">Originally posted by Trev - 04 November 2005 : 15:43:29</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

wobily_lin
09-11-05, 19:05
hi gail

wecome to the site. yeh pills can only do so much. the rest is up to you. use them as a crutch but not the cure. it is hard.wecome again.

lin x

Meg
09-11-05, 21:16
Gail,

You are having one of lifes down's following a relationship breakdown and it is completely normal and healthy to feel down, sad, cross, frustrated etc.

As humans we have a full spectrum of emotions and it is completely healthy and usual to feel them all at times.

We learn from these experiences and it prepares us for future upheavals.

Cry a lot, talk a lot , walk a lot and over time you will get over him and move on. You do not need medicines for this normal life event as you have not had any previous issues.

Good luck.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

chucklehound
10-11-05, 13:10
Hi Gail and welcome to NMP where you will get lots of support and make

some great friends too!!:D

Take Care

Chucklehound

xxxx

Gail32
11-11-05, 09:39
THanks again for all your good advice. I still havent taken the tablets, although I keep looking at them. But still feel sick everyday and wake up at least 5 times during the night and the dreams are always bad...
Just want to feel happy!
Gail x

Meg
11-11-05, 13:01
Sounds about right for where you are emotionally at this time.

Try making arrangements to socialize with friends/ family. Don't spend all your time alone mulling over it all.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?