PDA

View Full Version : newbie *waves* hi

pinkelf
21-10-09, 19:26
Hi everyone

Well...i feel I've found home! I've been an Anxiety sufferer ALL my life and only now realising how much it has affected me. I get it from my darling dad who we lost 4 years ago. I realise now that my stomach/back and headaches, aches and pains all stem from anxiety. I worry too much about other people opinions, my perceived self...low self esteem well you ALL know what it's like!
The trouble is I'm now worried about being worried...frightened of being frightened....scared of being *we get the picture elf* ooops! :whistles: hee hee!
I have been on sertraline for 10 years (has anyone else had long term experience of this drug?) and decided in May this year to come off them...well 3 weeks ago I was down to 25 mgs every other day when WHAM! It hit me, anxiety in all her force and nervous tendrils of worry and fear enveloped me to the point where on Monday i looked at the packets of pills I had and thought 'sod it...i can't go on'. very scary dark, black thoughts. I immediately went to my drs ( i have a season ticket there) and he said to up the dose to 50mg which I have and he also gave me amitriptyline (25mgs) to take to help me sleep. I've to see him again on Friday where I think he'll tell me to drop the amitrip. I'm now whittling about going back to work (next tues) in case I don't feel better...I KNOW this isn't the right frame of mind but finding it so hard.
I'm having CBT too now and I fully understand how anxiety works, I understand how it effects the body and why but what i am struggling with is implementing the new strategies.
I just wanted to ask, as above, has anyone else been on sertraline for 10 years or longer without a break like me? Again, worries me I have been on it so long, hence this ramble.
Thanks in advance you lovely lot :)

xxxx pinkelf xxxx

bottleblond
21-10-09, 19:44
Hi Pinkelf

Welcome along to NMP.

I am not on the same medication as you but have been on meds more of less sinse i was a teenager. I'm now 37...Shh don't tell the others because they think i'm 21. :D Lol

You will get lots of support and advice here and meet some lovely new people.

All the best
Lisa
xx

pinkelf
22-10-09, 10:50
Hi Lisa...I'll not let on you're 37 if you don't tell I'm 39 :winks: I will have a proper nosey around today to see if I can find anyone with a similar history. Thanks for the welcome

xxx