PDA

View Full Version : Panic Attack - after effects

paradox
21-10-09, 20:03
I've apparently just had a panic attack. I feel totally humiliated as I phoned for an ambulance. I thought I was dying.

The guys who came out couldn't have been kinder. All my obs were fine.

Thing is, I still feel a bit dizzy and nauseated. I wondered if this was normal. How long before I feel okay again?

MOJO
21-10-09, 20:11
Hi!
Sorry to hear you had a panic attack. Awful isn't it? Don't feel bad about calling the ambulance, they are used to it and you really thought there was a medical emergency. It does feel like you are going to die. In my experience the after effects of a panic attack can last for a few hours or longer afterwards. I'm sure you will get other replies from people giving their experiences.
Hope you feel better soon.
Judy.x

junie7
21-10-09, 20:36
Hi,
I've had a couple of full blown panic attacks and both times ended up in hospital. Both times it's taken me a day to get over them.
Hopefully you'll feel better tomorrow after a good nights sleep.

Anxious_gal
22-10-09, 02:47
aw sweet heart, I'm sorry you got that scared, hugs x aw its nice to know there is still kind people out there like the ambulance man.

Danath
22-10-09, 03:19
yeah first time I had one I was in the middle of a forest in the middle of the night and ended up being laid up in the Medical tent at our camp - I had drank red bull earlier and eaten a fair bit of chocolate which i think caused this one (this was before I realised I had an anxiety problem so didn't know drinknig red bull would mess me up so bad!)

second time was when i had a relapse and ended up calling for a medic, glad you got some good medics, the one I got wasn't offensive he just wasn't really sure what to do, don't think he'd come across it before, to be fair i don't think they are trained for these things. This is what Crisis teams employed by the NHS are supposed to be fore after all.

I've had countless pas other than these but those were the two worst

don't feel bad buddy, so many people these days call for help from medics when they have a pa because they don't know what else to do, its absoloutely nothing to feel bad about, there are more ambulances out there than the one that saw you so don't feel like you were depriving anyone else of medical attention , as you weren't.

I think having a PA affects us in different ways, for me I often feel a mixture of depression and relief once its passed, I think its down to the individual.

hope this helps,

Dan

jude uk
22-10-09, 03:31
There have been so many times I have felt like calling 999 but so far I havent but dont feel humiliated that you did. We all know what it feels like when a "major attack" hits us. The main thing is you are okay and thats what matters.

One bit of advice....DONT DWELL ON THIS ATTACK but take something positive from it...and that is you were checked over during a major attack and everything was fine, so build on that.

I think if you ever have another attack like this you can say to yourself that it will pass and you are fine

dottytoots
26-10-09, 21:04
If it helps, the first big PA that I had I told my fiance I needed an ambulance and he told me I didnt need one, so I drove myself to hospital with a (in my mind) heart attack! Oh the irony - as if I would be able to drive if I was really having a heart attack. But in my head I was as the symptoms were so severe. It was probably because my dad had recently died of a sudden heart attack and I was under a lot of stress. I can laugh at myself doing that now.