PDA

View Full Version : 3 days on Prozac and it's getting worse...

LJL
22-10-09, 05:51
Hi

This my first ever post, and I need help!!

I have been on 150g of Trazadone for a month but my anxiety did not lift so my doc has prescribed fluoxetine, (as depression has set in) I have been taking them for 3 days and the anxiety has got worse, I feel very, very sick, having real trouble eating, I also have difficuly sleeping, I have been on this site since 4!!

Can anyone share there thoughts, is this normal? Will it ever get better?
In know its only been 3 days and it does take a lot longer but should I feel this bad?

Thanks

Lisa x

mandyclare
22-10-09, 07:39
Hi Lisa

I don't have personal experience of this drug but i know one member who does and i'm sure there are alot more who can give you advice.. I will point my friend in the direction of this thread later today.

From what I know of most of these drugs for anxiety/depression the first couple of weeks can be a little bit hard as you get used to them and I don't think these side effects are too unusual so I am sure it will settle down.

Saying that, on Sunday i was given a beta blocker for anxiety/palpatations and it wrecked havoc with me so yesterday I went along to my Dr and asked for it to be changed to a different med which it now has.. so if you are feeling really unhappy with it go along and at least have a chat with your Dr to see if there are any alternatives.

Good luck and try not to worry.

mand x

jude uk
22-10-09, 08:35
I know it can take a few weeks for it to kick in but some ssri drugs effect people in different ways. Let your doc know how you are but also give it time to work

PanicOver!!
22-10-09, 10:11
Hi Lisa

I am on Fluoxatine i had to switch from cilitropram to this because i was really bad on them... the fluoxatine side effects only lasted a week or two but after that i have been fine... please try and stick with it as when they kick in in really do work.

You will get better Lisa it justs takes a little time
BEST WISHES

pooh
22-10-09, 11:31
Hi Ive been on fluoxetine for over two years now. when I was initially prescribed them my anxiety was extremely high and I was paing all over the place, terrified to be on my own, but I was determined to keep working. My doc prescribed 10 mgs of diazepam for the first two weeks when I went onto fluoxetine to counteract the very normal period of the drug throwing you all over the place. which it does. Most seem to come with a rotten initial start that you have to persevere through. Its not nice and its not fun but worth it in the long haul My own personal experience is that I noticed changes after a month and these changes increased and by the time I hit 6 months I knew I felt very different from when it had all began. I think what you have to remember is that no drug is an overnight cure. there have been times when i have realised gosh i havent taken it for a week and my god do I feel the difference. I find myself less able to employ my coping mechanisms. For me it was worth the long haul. Unfortunately its the nature of the beast sometimes it takes a few gos to find the right drug therapy, the right counsellor, the right psychologist. But there is light at the end of the tunnel.:D :D

LJL
22-10-09, 11:48
Hi

I have called the doc and he has prescribed me some anti sickness tablets which should help me, got to pick them up this aft, he said it is a side effect of the flouxedine but to keep going for a couple of weeks and I will start to see a difference, have to go back in a week. I am very lucky as I have the best doctor ever, he has listened, and explained everything in detail, I found this has helped loads. Before you know it, I'll be back to work and life will be happy again, not like I'm pushing myself or anything!!!!

Lisa

LJL
22-10-09, 12:04
Hi Lisa

I am on Fluoxatine i had to switch from cilitropram to this because i was really bad on them... the fluoxatine side effects only lasted a week or two but after that i have been fine... please try and stick with it as when they kick in in really do work.

You will get better Lisa it justs takes a little time
BEST WISHES

Thanks

Yes initially they put me on Cilitropram and it didn't work for me either, only took it for 1 day, the doc quickly changed me over!!!

JaneC
22-10-09, 12:20
:weep:

I'm on day four of taking 20mg (after a couple of weeks on 10mg) and really not doing well. Anxiety isn't too bad but depressive symptoms have been awful for last couple of days (on top of nausea and sedation).

Trying to stay focused on sticking it out though, can't really see any alternative.

LJL
22-10-09, 12:55
:weep:

I'm on day four of taking 20mg (after a couple of weeks on 10mg) and really not doing well. Anxiety isn't too bad but depressive symptoms have been awful for last couple of days (on top of nausea and sedation).

Trying to stay focused on sticking it out though, can't really see any alternative.

We should let each other know how we are doing, support each other. My anxiety has increased and so has the depression but I suppose they go hand in hand but we will get there x

Lisa

JaneC
22-10-09, 13:01
We should let each other know how we are doing, support each other. My anxiety has increased and so has the depression but I suppose they go hand in hand but we will get there x

Lisa

Good idea, keep in touch Lisa. I was on Prozac before some years ago and don't remember having much in the way of probs starting out so didn;t expect to feel bad this time. It's nearly three months now since I decided I wanted to try a change of meds, took me two months to get off the old ones so I'm really quite fed up with it all now and feel like I need some support :hugs:

Jane

LJL
22-10-09, 13:09
Good idea, keep in touch Lisa. I was on Prozac before some years ago and don't remember having much in the way of probs starting out so didn;t expect to feel bad this time. It's nearly three months now since I decided I wanted to try a change of meds, took me two months to get off the old ones so I'm really quite fed up with it all now and feel like I need some support :hugs:

Jane

So it helped you then, so we know there going to work. I just started suffering from anxiety about a month ago, but the Trazadone didn't help in fact I just got worse, hence going on Fluoxedine, the doc said this morning that it will just take time, I'll definatly give it 2 weeks, the only positive thing is the weight is falling off!!!

JaneC
22-10-09, 13:27
So it helped you then, so we know there going to work. I the only positive thing is the weight is falling off!!!

I don't even have that comfort - I've been really hungry and absolutely don't need that after what my old meds did to me.

Thanks Lisa, having someone to talk to is making me feel better already. Husband is a bit bored listening to me...

LJL
22-10-09, 14:05
I don't even have that comfort - I've been really hungry and absolutely don't need that after what my old meds did to me.

Thanks Lisa, having someone to talk to is making me feel better already. Husband is a bit bored listening to me...

ha, ha I know exactly what you mean my partner has been really supportive but if your anything like me you just want to talk about it all the time cause it makes me feel better. I think he gets a bit bored and just nods in agreement!!!

Wish I could eat, as soon as I get down I stop eating and sleeping!

JaneC
26-10-09, 14:39
How are you getting on Lisa?

LJL
26-10-09, 22:04
How are you getting on Lisa?

I'm doing OK, still feeling a little anxious but no more panic attacks and my mood seems to be lifting. The CBT helps as well. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed!

How's it going with you?

JaneC
26-10-09, 23:12
Not too bad thanks, Lisa. Certainly haven't had that feeling of total inability to cope with anything I had one day last week. No PAs for me either.

Really bad insomnia the last couple of nights though - are you managing to eat and sleep now? :flowers:

LJL
27-10-09, 11:58
Not too bad thanks, Lisa. Certainly haven't had that feeling of total inability to cope with anything I had one day last week. No PAs for me either.

Really bad insomnia the last couple of nights though - are you managing to eat and sleep now? :flowers:

The sleeping is fine, in fact I could sleep all day I'm so tired, another side effect I expect!! Eating better as well, I'm still feeling like a zombie though, hopefully that will lift soon, not bad considering it's only been 7 days. Would just like to feel awake and not be tripping over my eyelids!!!

JaneC
28-10-09, 14:13
Sounds like you're doing really well. I've felt really sleepy the last couple of days as well but my bad stomach has improved. Hopefully we're both getting there :yesyes:

LJL
28-10-09, 16:58
I think I'm doing OK, definatley not so tired, still have a little anxiety but nothing like I did last week, lets hope it all get's better from here on for both of us. :yahoo:

LJL
02-11-09, 09:31
Hi Jane

How are things going with you?

JaneC
02-11-09, 23:39
Hi Lisa,

Glad it seems to be going well for you. I've had a bad couple of days, couple of PAs, terrible headache, feeling sick - but it was time of the month (and I stupidly took some ginseng on Friday).

However, I was at the doc this morning and agreed to persevere - and I have felt much better as day has gone on x

LJL
03-11-09, 13:17
Hi Lisa,

Glad it seems to be going well for you. I've had a bad couple of days, couple of PAs, terrible headache, feeling sick - but it was time of the month (and I stupidly took some ginseng on Friday).

However, I was at the doc this morning and agreed to persevere - and I have felt much better as day has gone on x

Hi

I have just been to the docs, (my weekly checkup) he said "I'm doing well and to continue on, it takes about 4-5 weeks to get the benefits, I really struggle in the morning, (shaky hands, anxiety worse) but as the day goes on I feel much better, and I drove to the docs on my own, haven't done that 4 7 weeks now, I might even go back to work tomorrow, part time of course, I'm not rushing!!!
:yahoo:

LJL
05-11-09, 14:49
Hi Jane

How you doing?

Not a good day for me have been sick all morning, dont know whether it's a bug or the tablets. Went to work for a few hours yesterday, perhaps that's why!! It's like being on a rollercoaster!!!

Lis